ProcessWire on the web

apeisa

In case someone knowledgeable enough wants to give an answer here:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/314496/open-source-project-framework-or-core-php

(I've found this indirectly while reading the book jump start php environment.)

Maybe it's getting late here but is that (rather general question) really about ProcessWire (on the web)?

Perhaps not yet, but it could become...

They talk about Laravel, October CMS, using a framework or plain PHP... it could be an opportunity to present ProcessWire (which has advantages of a CMF/CMS and advantages of plain PHP, etc.).

I'm open to put this post elsewhere (I wasn't sure where to put it).

• Like 2

Greetings,

Christophe: I see where you're at with this!  For a long time, I've been emphasizing the framework aspects of ProcessWire, and I have even made direct comparisons between ProcessWire and Laravel and CodeIgniter.  I use those "other" frameworks from time to time, and I am always struck with how I can really do the same things in ProcessWire, but in less time, with more fun, and feel like I am part of a better community!

Along these lines, check out this adventure...

-> https://github.com/hettiger/larawire

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 4

I just learned today that the website for "Zurich IT Days 2016" is made with PW. Sadly, it's not mentioned anywhere (except in a meta tag), but might as well be later on. This is just a preview: informatiktage.ch/

Still has a few bugs... unpublished events are linked, and some CSS bugs, but it's getting there.

Each company that does workshops has a login to create and edit blog posts, event infos etc. I just have an editor admin login, can't see what modules have been used, but it looks promising. Wonder who built it...

Edit: it has gone live now (changed dev to live URL above)

Edited by dragan
  • Like 3

Here's an article that is mostly about Concete 5, but makes some comparisons with PW - maybe some ideas in there!

I also think "blocks to create unique page structures on the fly"

@Szabez, I think this is very interesting to speed up website building.

I found this page where it is explained how to use "a page" as kind of "a block"

Looks like this is a way to create blocks in processwire:

http://wiki.processwire.com/index.php/Including_a_page_in_another_page

I quote from this page: (in the middle of the page)

"When fetching another page into a template file, for instance where it is being used"

"as a Widget or an advertising block or banner,"

What do you guys think about making "blocks" this way ?

@pwired: How about using wireRenderFile() so just you specify which template partial you need, effectively using them (and their Page counterpart if needed) as "blocks". If it is just something that displays data coming from other Pages (say last five blog posts), we do not even need its own page, it is just a lonely "block/widget", but we might need to configure it somehow, so some sort of storage might still be needed. Since there are no rules for the frontend, it depends on our creativity to setup our own "blocks system".

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another post on t3n using processwire as an example of why classic CMS aren't always the best choice.

(And as expected: Immediately random Typo3 fanboys with no pw experience whatsoever popping up and start hatin'. Business as usual).

Disclosure and probably explanation: t3n started as "Typo3 News", https://web.archive.org/web/20051217050007/http://www.t3n.de/

• Like 4

I wrote an article about ProcessWire for the German print magazine t3n (total circulation around 38k). Translated title is: "Flexible like frameworks: why the CMS ProcessWire is a real alternative to WordPress". The article will eventually also be available online (here), but for now you can only see the title and the teaser there. It’s an overview article that talks about content management (fields, pages, templates), the API, multi-lingual content and front-end editing in ProcessWire.

• Like 10

I wrote an article about ProcessWire for the German print magazine t3n (total circulation around 38k). Translated title is: "Flexible like frameworks: why the CMS ProcessWire is a real alternative to WordPress". The article will eventually also be available online (here), but for now you can only see the title and the teaser there. It’s an overview article that talks about content management (fields, pages, templates), the API, multi-lingual content and front-end editing in ProcessWire.

Here’s the news article on my employee’s website which talks about the article: https://www.jambit.com/en/latest-info/news/processwire-alternative-to-wordpress-and-co/ O0

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A really great article from @M.O.Z.G highlighting his migration from WP to PW. It talks about structuring and retrieving data, multi-language output, creating your own module, and debugging using Tracy.

Thanks for a great writeup - really nice work! 

http://mozg-studio.org/blog/migration2pw/

I have to include this quote from the article :)

I can't just open WP code after PW, blood drips from my eyes when WP

• Like 9

6 hours ago, adrian said:

A really great article from @M.O.Z.G highlighting his migration from WP to PW.

Wow! Thanks for sharing, @adrian. Glad to see that the article seems useful.

7 hours ago, adrian said:

I have to include this quote from the article :)

I can't just open WP code after PW, blood drips from my eyes when WP

I was afraid that this idiom is very emotional, and thought to delete it later. Now I'm going to keep it :lol:

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, tpr said:

"This CMS will sometimes include a meta tag within the html of each page". Kind of misinformation considering that ProcessWire will not include anything in your markup by itself, but I guess that's just some boilerplate content so no biggie. Also: congratulations to innobloom for getting listed there! :) 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, diogo said:

That was the best introduction/explanation of ProcessWire that I have ever read.  You have an excellent grasp of how things work and know how to convey it in a very enjoyable writing style.  

A link to this article should be somewhere on the main ProcessWire website.  Simply amazing writing!

• Like 7