Removing Parents from url

wesp

Hi everyone,

My setup is that I have a page tree like

home
= articles
== article-1
== article-2

On the home page I link to the individual articles and I'd like the url to be page.com/article-1 instead of page.com/articles/article-1

I guess this is a kind of old topic, because I want to achieve the same as in these:

so far I've tried putting either one of the following hooks into the _init.php:

$pages->addHookAfter('Page::path', null, 'hookPagePath');
 function hookPagePath(HookEvent $e) {
  $page = $e->object;
  if($page->template == 'article-page') $e->return = "/$page->name/";
}
$pages->addHookBefore('Page::path', function($event) {
 $page = $event->object;
 if($page->template == 'article-page') {
   $event->replace = true;
   $event->return = "/$page->name/";
 }
});

and they both actually work in the way that the links on the home page do and look like I want, but when I follow the links they just redirect me to the home page again. As in they don't even throw a 404 anymore when I put in some random letters in the url, I always get redirected to home. And that seems to be caused by allowing URL Segents in the home template, because if I uncheck it I get 404s when following the links.

I don't quite get how to work with this as in all other forum topics no one else seems to have had that problem, so any help is much appreciated!

@wesp You have to turn on URL segments on home page template and in your template file 

if (input()->urlSegment(1)) {
	$pagename = input()->urlSegment(1);
	$match = pages()->findOne("template=article-page, name={$pagename}");
	if (!$match->id) throw new Wire404Exception();
	echo $match->render();
	return $this->halt();
}

Hi @Zeka 
thanks for the fast reply! I made sure to do that and at first it then gave me this error:

1112741856_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-13um16_32_03.thumb.png.d4a1aee0cd457b04f1511c1e03b441de.png

After putting

$config->useFunctionsAPI = true;

inside the config.php it still doesn't really work, as in the links look right and clicking them does redirect me to a new page but that page is completely empty and not rendered via the template file article-page

@wesp You don't need the Functions API for the functionality you asked for - it's just the syntax Zeka used that requires it, e.g. pages() instead of $pages etc.

I have tried this combination here, and it works fine:

// at the very top of home.php
if ($input->urlSegment1) {
    $pagename = $input->urlSegment1;
    $match = $pages->findOne("template=article, name=$pagename");
    if (!$match->id) {
        throw new Wire404Exception();
    }
    echo $match->render();
    return $this->halt();
}
// site/ready.php
// taken from this great case study: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/3987-cmscritic-development-case-study/
wire()->addHookBefore('Page::path', function($event) {
    $page = $event->object;
    if($page->template == 'article') {
        $event->replace = true;
        $event->return = "/$page->name/";
    }
});

If you copy-and-paste, pls note that my template is called 'article', not 'article-page' ?

Attached also the home template URL segment settings.

Screenshot_2020-02-13 Edit Template Home (home) • pwbig test.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dragan maybe you can also help with another issue I have since it's a very similar thing but for a different website:

I have a one-pager with the children pages being rendered as sections with their own template file, each section has the $page->name as id so I can link to them as anchor links.

The case here is that I'd like the links to not have the hash symbol, so that mywebsite.com/section1 acts like mywebsite.com/#section1 but doesn't look like it.

I tried doing the same for this as what worked with hiding the parent pages from the url, modifying it a bit because of the multiple templates, but i am at a loss if that even makes sense to try to do here, because that didn't work.

@wesp

Well, that ain't so easy. If you wanted to make it behave like that - and make sure you don't break user's back-button in the process, and make sure people actually scroll to the section if they share/bookmark such a pseudo-link - you should use an SPA framework like Vue instead, where you have such custom routing functionality already built-in.

otoh, it's quite easy to hide / remove the #section1 completely from the location bar - but that's not what you're after.

• Like 2