PW 3.0.150 + Driving around a DDOS attack

ryan

6 minutes ago, ryan said:

Last Saturday we started getting hit with heavy traffic at the processwire.com support forums, and it soon became a full blown DDOS frenzy. This post describes all the fun, how we got it back under control, and what we learned along the way—

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/driving-around-a-ddos-attack/

Ryan 1, China 0. This was a fun read.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah that's where the hickups came from.

Maybe drastic, but we block all website traffic from China and email senders from Russia. Seems to handle 90% of rogue request.
Beside that a few .htaccess lines to stop bad bots, scrapers, or scanners in our server area. Updated regularly after skimming through error logs.

# bad bots
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*(Ahrefs|MJ12bot|Seznam|Baiduspider|Yandex|SemrushBot|DotBot|spbot|adscanner).*$ [NC] 
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*(python|masscan|Researchscan|twotweak|site\.ru|X11|yacybot|netcraft).*$ [NC]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*(BLEXBot|SemanticScholarBot|Nimbostratus|Mb2345Browser|UCBrowser|MQQBrowser).*$ [NC]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*(LieBaoFast|yacybot|seocompany|Vagabondo|zoominfobot).*$ [NC]
  RewriteRule ^.*$ - [F,L]

I see the same usual suspects in your blog post ?

• Like 4

What do you think of this: https://perishablepress.com/7g-firewall/ ?

As I do not know a lot about server configurations, this seems like a hassle-free way to put some layer of security to my websites. What I get from it, I just have to copy these lines provided to my .htaccess file.

Edit: It seems to work with my processwire installation: i got the first entry written into the log. (my site got crawled by 360Spider ???)

Edited by mjut
first result written into log