Process wire for blog and portfolio items?

shogun

I love process wire and really want to use it over WordPress but I'm not clear on how it can do blog and portfolio items. I realize you can create fields but how can you make it so the user can add ongoing blog posts and or portfolio items that has the same template?

There's a blog site profile you can choose when installing PW with a full example blog (comments, comments-admin, tagging etc.)

17 minutes ago, shogun said:

but how can you make it so the user can add ongoing blog posts and or portfolio items that has the same template?

I don't understand this sentence. What do you mean with "ongoing"? Do you mean "single page application"-style? Why should a blog post and a portfolio detail page have the sample template? It's certainly doable.

I use the blank template. I can look under the hood of the blog template just to see how it's done if that's what you recommend.

I meant blogs OR portfolio. Just the concept of letting a user add ongoing items under one template similar to a Wordpress site.

I would suggest using the blog site profile as suggested above, even if just to learn your way around. Once you get a feel for it you will see it is relatively straightforward to set up the ability for a user to make a specific type of page (post/portfolio item etc.). Starting with the blank profile makes sense if you already understand this process and want to build something very different. The site profiles are pretty flexible and serve as good starting points for everything else (including what I feel you want).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shogun said:

similar to a Wordpress site

A word of advice: Forget everything you learned about Wordpress. PW's technical concept and philosophy has little to do with how WP handles things. Make yourself familiar with the PW API, selectors, what a PW page is (or can be), and how pages, templates and fields work together. If you've got the basics down, I suggest you take a look at page reference fields, and how they can be used: for creating/defining cross-references, categories + relations - of any kind: not just in a classic sense of "frontent page A relates to page B". It's a very powerful concept.

• Like 1

I think, what you might be looking for is the 'Family' settings for templates. Here you can define, what child templates are allowed for a parent page with a specific template.

So, for example, your parent page 'Blog' for your blog items might have the template 'blog' and the child pages (your blog entries) have the template 'blog-item'. In the template's 'Family' settings for template 'blog' you can define to only allow template 'blog-item' as child template. And in the template 'blog-item' you can define to only allow template 'blog' as parent template.

Now when an editor adds a page to 'Blog' in the page tree, the new page will automatically get template 'blog-item' assigned.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...