new site, Museu do Resgate

diogo

I was in doubt if I should post this one because it's not completely ready. The site is for a thesis project of a friend. In short, he collects raw videos filmed by the random citizen in the Historical Center of Oporto to further analyze and contextualize them. The videos are being submitted on the site, uploaded to youtube and shown on a big random wall. The project will be rethought, and might change a lot in the future. I guess that's why I decided to post it now...

PW has a big part on this since every video that is uploaded to youtube is kept as a PW page and connected to a filmmaker (also pages). This allows me to collect all the videos quickly without the limitations that are imposed by requesting with the youtube API, and allows me to keep much more information for each video than YouTube Would. It was also very easy to create a script to import some videos that were already on youtube to the system. PW rocks ;)

http://museudoresgate.org/

• Like 10

Hey diogo,

Very interesting!

The museudoresgate site is terrific already. The colors and the videos really make you feel as if you are entering a special world.

Thanks for sharing!

Matthew

PS: I'm interested in this because I'm building a companion site for a book about films, and I'm conceiving it as a series of video pages with references to the specific book chapters. It will be built entirely with ProcessWire.

• Like 1

Great site Diogo! Great design all around.

For the videos page, does it grow infinitely (on scroll) or is pagination introduced at a certain limit?

I saw it mentioned UT Austin in the footer--that's where my wife went to graduate school.

• Like 1

Thanks Ryan! We did the design with base on Daniel's (the owner of the site) graphic concept for the project. I do like it that the site is very coherent with the posters and panflets that Daniel designs (here is one example).

181856_355322344537914_518557023_n.jpg

Yep, the videos page grows infinitely. I'm trying to avoid paginating it to make it a really big wall, but I'm aware that it can get pretty heavy. It's not a mobile site for sure... If I will have to paginate at some point, maybe I will apply a infinite scroll script.

UT Austin has a very interesting partnership with some universities in Portugal. You can read about it here http://utaustinportugal.org/. Another interesting project where they participate is this one http://futureplaces.org/

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing: If you guys are curious, you can test the uploading form until the end. The inserted data will be discarded if there's no video upload.

edit: very nice site @panictree :)

• Like 1

Yep, the videos page grows infinitely. I'm trying to avoid paginating it to make it a really big wall, but I'm aware that it can get pretty heavy. It's not a mobile site for sure... If I will have to paginate at some point, maybe I will apply a infinite scroll script.

It was getting noticeably slow to load that videos page here on my desktop, but that may because I'm on the other side of the ocean. I'd probably paginate every 100 items or something. Though the Google Images infinite scroll method may be nice too, but those still reach hard limits (at the client side) eventually too. Regular pagination is probably the safest bet, even if nothing more than a "show more" button.

Thanks for checking Ryan. I will give this issue a thought. One thing that is making it slower, it that I'm checking with the youtube API if the videos uloaded during the last 7 days are private or public. I will put a field in the videos with a checkbox, and check periodically from the admin instead.

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing: If you guys are curious, you can test the uploading form until the end. The inserted data will be discarded if there's no video upload.

edit: very nice site @panictree :)

phew~ I was curious and clicked through using gibberish, pressing that final 'next' button inadvertently... :-X

But I have to say about the site... I LIKE IT!

• Like 1