How to update Processwire when host went to PHP7.2

Haagje R.

Hi everyone,

I am new to processwire. Until recently my website was maintained by a designdepartment at my webhost. The webhost decided to discontinue this department, and, because of my site being there in PW, I am now the admin with all rights. 

However, I know how to edit my content and change/add pages, I have no idea how to update my version of PW. It cannot communicate with PHP7.2 resulting in sections on my page with downtime. 

Is there anyone in this community who is willing to share their knowledgde and teach me how I can do the neccesary work to keep the sites fully running? My sites are running on PW version 3.0.123

Thanks in advance! 

Haagje. 

ProcessWire 3.0.123 and PHP 7.2 play really nice together out of the box.
An update or upgrade of ProcessWire therefore isn't needed actually.

The downtime you experience might be another issue... either cached pages, a bunch of cached compiled files and modules... are there any errors in the frontend or in the logs (Setup > Logs) you could share with us? Is only the frontend or even the backend/admin area affected by those issues? Or maybe even better a link to your site.

Oh... welcome to the best community in the world. ? 

• Like 4

Hi, thanks for the quick welcome! 

I upload one example of the error message that I get. 

I would even be willing to share my computer (for instance sharing my screen during a skypecall) or Teamviewer so someone who has more knowledge than myself, can walk me through the steps. 

Errormessage on neuro-insigh.eu.PNG

That's a weird error.

Can you login into the backend? If so... clear all compiled module files.

2020-01-24_16-30.thumb.png.a383ba6c1bc62e8ec8a222f911480882.png

Another option could be disabling the module itself.

Sharing your screen could help. Sadly I don't use Skype or Teamviewer.

Do you have full access to your site via FTP?

Hi!

Thanks, i have to set up filezilla tomorrow, never needed it before because the host was taling very good care of it for me until they decided to stop their designer team go. 

Anyway, once I have set up filezilla, I Will post. As for your question, the .eu extension as well as the .de extensions won't let be log into the back-end.

I might have to start from scratch...

Haagje. 

@Haagje R. I assume you have FTP-access? The error screenshot you posted says that your PW installation still has the install.php in root. That should have been removed right after the initial installation (removing that file - and others - is actually part of PW's installation routine). If that install.php still exists on the server, simply delete it, and try again.

PS

Checking https://www.neuro-insight.de/install.php throws an error about your 404 page not being viewable by guests (guest user = not logged in). So there might be more strange things to check...

• Like 1

@Haagje R. as dragan said, first setup ftp or shell access to the root of PW installation and then remove/rename install.php. I don't get it how the site was working with install.php present. Then, as Bitpoet said, replace ProcessWireUpgrade module with the new one, as this is the problem. I use PW on WIndows/IIS and not on Linux/Apache but I can help using Teamviewer. PM me if needed.

• Like 1

I don't think it is necessary to start from scratch.

Maybe you should ask your webhoster what they changed. Maybe their design-department was p*ssed and deleted/manipulated some files but I really can't imagine that - to be honest.

I simple PHP change wouldn't cause such an issue - hence my thought about deleted/manipulated files.

Updating/deleting the ProcessWireUpgrade module might already be enough as @BitPoet mentioned.

It's strange your backend doesn't work at all.

@dragan spotted a good isse as well - the install.php - but still...

Where are you located (FR maybe?) - maybe we know someone somewhere around you who could assist here.

• 3 weeks later...