Confused by Pages?

Joss

Words of encouragement from the Pub's amateur psychiatrist

(Read best in a soft spoken, German accent)

Ah, you are here because you have been reading things in this forum about pages that have left you confused, disorientated, befuddled.

You thought you knew what a page was - you have been thumbing through them, folding them, studying them, wrapping things up in them and scrolling up and down them for most of your life!

A page is this solid item - this great lump of data stuffed with things.

But now you have come to Processwire, and everything you thought was true, simply isn't any more.

For in Processwire pages are completely different - they are not great gulps of information, but tiny little things, nothing more than a link to the more interesting world of fields and templates; just a little blip of data in your huge fascinating database.

Pages in Processwire are used for all kinds of things. They can be used as a marker in your pages list. They can be used as a group parent for other pages. They can be used as categories, tags or lists or users. And they can even be used for simple drop-down selects - just to supply a label and value.

It can seem crazy to use such an iconic thing like a page for such a mundane and trivial task! But don't worry and fret, don't lose sleep or pace the floor as you think the reputation of the noble page is being crushed!

In Processwire, they are fulfilling their duty to the full - and the more slight the task, the more they bound up to the wall and jump up and down shouting "use me, use me!"

And, as a bonus, they can even be used for content - for all that stuff you thought was a page, but in Processwire isn't!

So, don't be put off by the Processwire page - use it for everything! it is much smaller than you think, takes up hardly any space at all, is well behaved and only will do its thing when it is called.

In fact it is hardly a page at all .... and then again, it is also so much more!!

Better now?

Joss Freud

• Like 26

Can I just say that if ever there is a book written about how to use ProcessWire, this should be the foreword - it's perfect!

I did fail to read it in the suggested accent and read it in an Austrian Arnold Schwarzenegger accent - it was amazing (like this - http://bit.ly/c7op9H :)).

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Joss thanks for explaining this, ok I am almost getting this? I am a noob as well and have been taught pages are pages and containers are containers that where built into pages. I can use Word Press like a champ and I think that is where I am getting lost.  I work for a company that threw me down in front of Process Wire and about had a meltdown cause I don't understand what's going on here. So my question is this? I am trying to learn how and where you say hey I want a PDF button here or I want a video on this page or a particular part of the webpage?  This is where I am getting lost "how does one create the actual container and tell it where to sit, go show up on the site in a particular spot?  I get there is a list and order to it but when I go into a thing or what I think is called a page there are things on it such as "Content" "Img" "Files" Tabs at the top and I am confused as to how this was created to get it on that particular part of the site.  I am not a hard coder but do understand for the most part but "I hate coding and would rather be able to create it with telling the CMS "button" yes put it here > Boom > Save >Publish.  I know this may sound strange but this is how my brain thinks and any help clearing this up would be awesome... :)

1 hour ago, ROLAND_JUNO said:

I hate coding and would rather be able to create it with telling the CMS "button" yes put it here > Boom > Save >Publish

Then your in the wrong place.

PW doesn't work that way, PW doesn't have a frontend by default like other cms*,  you have to build the frontend yourself.

* it does if you use a site profile but those are mostly to showcase some features

To understand pages read this 

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/07/the-aesthetic-of-non-opinionated-content-management-a-beginners-guide-to-processwire/#three-simple-core-concepts

https://processwire.com/docs/tutorials/but-what-if-i-dont-know-how-to-code/part-1-pages-templates-fields-files/

• Like 2

hi roland and welcome to the forum,

i read your other posts and i also see two options:

1) if you WANT to learn and are not afraid of writing some code you'll always find someone here that is willing to help

2) if you want a quick solution and stay in your (i quote you here and mean it bad in no way) "wordpress click click and boom ready" - world I'm sure you find a developer in the job-board that can help you

• Like 3