Unable to login on second machine with exact same setup

derelektrischemoench

Hi guys,

I'm facing a somewhat strange issue here which I can't quite wrap my head around. 

I have a PW site in development which runs on three machines simultaneously, one staging server which is accessible as a preview instance for my customer, my PC and my laptop. 

I have three completely identical settings on each of the three machines (same apache version, same php version, same codebase, same database); however on my PC I am unable to log into the backend. I get no error message or anything, when I try to login; i just get redirected to the login  page. I have already enabled database driven sessions (I enabled them on my laptop, then I dumped the database and copied it to my pc); I have cleared the cache directory; I cleared the sessions in the database; I cleared my browser caches, I tried different browsers, all to no avail; I am unable to login when using my pc, the instances all have the same .htaccess.

Is there something I'm missing here or does anyone have a clue as to what my issue here might be? I'm using processwire 3.0.123

Thanks for any input, greetings

derelektrischemoench

//edit: I've noticed something interesting; despite the directories of my web folders being the same layout; when I open the admin page i get a 404 on the processwire/ resource in the networks panel of chrome; on my laptop I get a  200.... I guess this is where my problem is; but why?

Hi @Gideon So, the website is currently hosted on three separate machines; one staging / preview system which is accessible over the internet on  a shared hosting space with strato; a large german hosting provider, also I have setup my two main dev machines which are my PC and my laptop, both running ubuntu 19.10 with apache 2.4.41 and Mariadb 10.3.20.

My hoster on the other hand uses mysql 5.6.42 which I can't influence or change.

10 hours ago, derelektrischemoench said:

I've noticed something interesting; despite the directories of my web folders being the same layout; when I open the admin page i get a 404 on the processwire/ resource in the networks panel of chrome; on my laptop I get a  200.... I guess this is where my problem is; but why?

There are already tons of advice in this thread, and you really seem to have investigated already a lot; but this note about 404 could maybe be because of an ad-blocker you have installed. Other things you could check/try:

• check allowed hosts in site/config.php
  • (if possible) create a dummy domain for local instance (Laragon e.g. creates sitename.test domains for you automatically, you can use that instead of localhost or 127.0.0.1)
  • Perhaps you have some funky stuff left in your HOSTS file
  • Did you check also if the Apache's http.confs are identical (e.g. Apache modules) ?
  • Did you install Tracy Debugger and set debug mode on?
  • Last but certainly not least: Do you see anything in your Apache error logs?

On 1/5/2020 at 6:24 PM, Gideon So said:

Hi @derelektrischemoench,

It is probably because of the effect of fingerprint settings. Please check the following page and look for fingerprint.

https://processwire.com/api/ref/config/

Then put the correct $config->sessionFingerprint value into your config.php file

Gideon

Hey Thanks for posting guide on xfinity router login .Its imformative.

Hi @dragan,

I've tried everything you mentioned, none of it worked / led to any clue as to what the problem might be. My error logs are empty / don't show any error; I already have setup a vhost, checked my hosts file, changed my hosts file, changed my vhost, my apache configs are identical...

I have no clue as to what could be the problem. I might try to install tracy debugger, although I'm not quite sure as how to achieve this, since I can't access the backend and I don't have composer running. But I'm guessing that this can be done via the api.

Anyhow, if anyone has further ideas, please let me know; @dragan: thanks so far.

Greetings derelektrischemoench

Hi @derelektrischemoench

#1 - You might try to play with the htaccess on this line :

# RewriteBase /

Try to comment / uncomment this line on your distant server.

#2 - Give a try to Duplicator, make a package on your local setup then upload it to your server and use his installer to check that everything required is ok, then continue the package installation

Download link of the module (use the 1.3.12 or 1.3.13) :  https://processwire.com/talk/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=18643