ProcessWire Dashboard

25 minutes ago, matjazp said:

Some encoding problems, this is how it looks when dashboard is empty:

Seems like the _() function encodes entities only on multi-language installs. I have a working fix for this, but it's not yet on GitHub. I'll throw it in with the next release ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @d'Hinnisdaël,

I just installed your module (via "Add Module From URL") but immediately get an exception after hitting download:

Compile error
Cannot declare class ProcessWire\Dashboard, because the name is already in use

I also found the culprit: It's a PHP trait within my module which has the same name as your module class. I'm using PHP traits to split large process modules into smaller parts. Didn't know that traits are treated like class files in namespace.

Do you have an idea how we could solve this with the least effort?

Its also a general question because my module has a lot of helper classes which will collide with other modules sooner or later ...

All my module files are in namespace "ProcessWire". Is it good to use a separate namespace for my module?

870809573_Bildschirmfoto2020-01-31um08_45_52.thumb.png.95a9efadcc1fd5fcbd53d0c6971b465c.png

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

trait Dashboard {
    /**
     * The SnipWire Dashboard page.
     * @return page markup
     */
    public function ___execute() {
        $modules = $this->wire('modules');
        $user = $this->wire('user');
        $config = $this->wire('config');
        $input = $this->wire('input');
        $sniprest = $this->wire('sniprest');

5 hours ago, Gadgetto said:

Do you have an idea how we could solve this with the least effort?

Its also a general question because my module has a lot of helper classes which will collide with other modules sooner or later ...

All my module files are in namespace "ProcessWire". Is it good to use a separate namespace for my module?

I think the real culprit is this module not having a name that is unique enough — ProcessDashboard was already taken ?

The solution is probably to namespace the module itself. Mine in any case, since the name is very generic. And yours probably just to be save from future modules taking the names of your traits. Taking a look at the source of some of the larger/popular modules, most seem to be declared in the ProcessWire namespace. MarkupSitemap declares all its traits and concerns in its own namespace however. That could be interesting in your case.

Turns out using custom namespaces is only possible starting from ProcessWire v3.0.150 when this fix was implemented. I'd like to stick with the latest master release and not require the dev version, so I'll wait out the next master release. But @Gadgetto your problem might be solved by moving the traits into their own namespace.

I was also slightly concerned about this module using such a generic module class. I also have a module Dashboard, but i use the Process prefix, as well as sometimes a suffix, so i now use ProcessDashboards (because my module allows for unlimited dashboards), or something like ProcessDashboardRedux; I like how @bernhard uses a custom element in his modules (Rock..) which also ensures uniqueness...

3 hours ago, d'Hinnisdaël said:

Turns out using custom namespaces is only possible starting from ProcessWire v3.0.150 when this fix was implemented. I'd like to stick with the latest master release and not require the dev version, so I'll wait out the next master release. But @Gadgetto your problem might be solved by moving the traits into their own namespace.

That's true, and one reason why historically all module files have been declared in the ProcessWire namespace – another being that most modules don't need that many classes to begin with. In cases where a module makes use of non-module classes, I would definitely recommend defining a separate (i.e. something other than ProcessWire) namespace for those ?

(This part is also well supported, so no need to wait for 3.0.150.)

Just for an example, here's how I've handled this in Wireframe:

While namespaces are often enough to tackle the issue of clashing traits and classes, it's also a common recommendation for traits and interfaces to be named differently: SomeNameTrait, SomeNameInterface, etc. PSR also recommends (or requires, really) this approach.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, teppo said:

That's true, and one reason why historically all module files have been declared in the ProcessWire namespace – another being that most modules don't need that many classes to begin with. In cases where a module makes use of non-module classes, I would definitely recommend defining a separate (i.e. something other than ProcessWire) namespace for those ?

Am I right that in the case of Wireframe if somebody has an existing class of Wireframe in their codebase (for whatever reason), it would still clash with your module? So without waiting for 3.0.150, the class name of the module itself must be unique anyway?

Not sure how I should handle this one. Rename the module and post a notice here in the forum? Hope people will figure it out and move their own Dashboard classes into a different namespace until I can require 3.0.150? My intuition is to go with the latter, but maybe somebody has an opinion on that. When I used to cobble together custom dashboards for clients in the past, I have used ProcessDashboard or CustomDashboard. Maybe it's not that big a deal ?

19 minutes ago, d'Hinnisdaël said:

Am I right that in the case of Wireframe if somebody has an existing class of Wireframe in their codebase (for whatever reason), it would still clash with your module? So without waiting for 3.0.150, the class name of the module itself must be unique anyway?

That's correct. It's a bit of a nuisance, admittedly, but I don't consider it a huge issue. It's a whole different deal when we're talking about other bundled classes – in the case of Wireframe, for an example, I already have View, Component, Controller, and Config, which would be very likely to cause issues if they weren't namespaced. In fact most of my own recent modules come with a Config class... ?

19 minutes ago, d'Hinnisdaël said:

Not sure how I should handle this one. Rename the module and post a notice here in the forum? Hope people will figure it out and move their own Dashboard classes into a different namespace until I can require 3.0.150? My intuition is to go with the latter, but maybe somebody has an opinion on that. When I used to cobble together custom dashboards for clients in the past, I have used ProcessDashboard or CustomDashboard. Maybe it's not that big a deal ?

Honestly: I would probably leave the module name as-is for the time being, but at some point in the (perhaps near) future add a custom namespace and declare 3.0.150 as a dependency. But obviously it's your call – if you want to do your best to avoid any issues right now, renaming would be a safe bet. It'll force existing users to likely reinstall, but that's unlikely to become a massive issue.

50-50 ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, teppo said:

Honestly: I would probably leave the module name as-is for the time being, but at some point in the (perhaps near) future add a custom namespace and declare 3.0.150 as a dependency.

That's kind of my intuition as well. Wait a little longer and see if this becomes a problem for more people, and in case rename it.

I just tried to implement custom namespaces for all of my SnipWire "extra" classes (service, helpers, installer, ...) but it seems to be a huge modification = a lot of work!

As SnipWire uses a lot of helper classes with common names like "Webhooks", "Taxes", "Functions", Countries", ... there is a big chance it will crash in some environments. I really don't know how to handle this currently. Implementing custom namespaces means editing nearly hundred files.

Do you think its a good idea to use custom namespaces which lie within the ProcessWire namespace:

ProcessWire\SnipWire\Helpers
ProcessWire\SnipWire\Services

Besides, I have little experience with namespaces in PHP ...

16 minutes ago, Gadgetto said:

As SnipWire uses a lot of helper classes with common names like "Webhooks", "Taxes", "Functions", Countries", ... there is a big chance it will crash in some environments. I really don't know how to handle this currently. Implementing custom namespaces means editing nearly hundred files.

As long as your classes are named this generically, you'll sooner or later have people showing up in the forum complaining about broken sites ?

What IDE are you using? A lot of them can refactor classes and move them into different namespaces, e.g. PHPStorm has a Move Namespace dialog.

However, if you go the route suggested by teppo above, you only need to move all your helper classes into a subdirectory/namespace, setup the autoloader for that namespace, and call it a day. In reality, it will mostly simplify your code and get rid of all the require()s. I'll quote his suggestion here again:

23 hours ago, teppo said:

Just for an example, here's how I've handled this in Wireframe:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Sevarf2 said:

cool...it works now, thanks. Since we are in the matter, the actions on each page, like "lock", "unpub" or "trash"... don't work, I got an alert with "undefined"

In that case, I'm afraid we're out of luck. The PageList component in ProcessWire doesn't seem to work well with multiple instances on the same page.

Do the page actions work if there's only one instance? Just to make sure I haven't broken the whole panel with the latest release.

9 minutes ago, d'Hinnisdaël said:

In that case, I'm afraid we're out of luck. The PageList component in ProcessWire doesn't seem to work well with multiple instances on the same page.

Do the page actions work if there's only one instance? Just to make sure I haven't broken the whole panel with the latest release.

sorry, this issue is not related to the multiple instances, it was broken even before, with one page lister and i forgot to write a post about it and got in my mind now

@d'Hinnisdaël first of all, thanks for making your dashboard public. 

I am currently building a small Intranet Application for my department and want to include some charts. 

Adding the panels and groups worked fine but I cant get the colors on the Pie Chart Panel to work. 
All I get is a Pie with grey segments ?

This is my code, maybe I am overlooking something...

$group->add([
        'panel' => 'chart',
        'size' => 'normal',
        'title' => 'Kostenvergleich',
        'style' => ['centerTitle' => true],
        'data' => [
          'chart' => [
            'type' => 'pie',
            'data' => [
              'datasets' => [
                ['data' => [floor($normalTotal),floor($recurringTotal)]],
                ['backgroundColor' => ['rgba(193, 66, 66, 1)','rgba(193, 66, 66, 1)']],
               ],
               'labels' => ['Einmalig','Laufend']
            ],
            'options' => [
              'responsive' => true
            ]
          ]
        ]
      ]);

45 minutes ago, LuisM said:

Adding the panels and groups worked fine but I cant get the colors on the Pie Chart Panel to work. 
All I get is a Pie with grey segments ?

What happens if you leave out the backgroundColor key? If that restores the default color theme, it's most likely a Chart.js configuration issue — the panel only passes the options through to the library. If it's still all grey then, let me know.

2 hours ago, d'Hinnisdaël said:

What happens if you leave out the backgroundColor key? If that restores the default color theme, it's most likely a Chart.js configuration issue — the panel only passes the options through to the library. If it's still all grey then, let me know.

Sadly makes no difference