Micro-financial management app on PW

dcbn

Hello,

I am planning a project and need your expert opinion if I can use ProcessWire for it.

A micro-financial management application needs to be built.

Objectives:

1. On the front-end: Website CMS with article pages, Client Control Panel, loan calculator and form submit page.
We have a micro-financial organization that offers micro credits to people. The front-end needs to host some article pages about provided services, a page with the loan calculator and a form submitter, so the client can input requested data (Name, phone, and few scanned images of documents, type of the loan, period of time and needed amount). If the request for the loan is approved by administrator, the client should have a Client Control Panel, where he will log in using an ID and password, generated by admin after approval. In the Control Panel, he may get updated info about the loan he got, next payment dates and total of the debt to be paid.

2. On the back-end:

Control Panel with 2 user groups: for administrator with access to all the CP and operator for specified sections access only.

From the Control Panel, all the front-end articles should be added, modified, deleted.

A dedicated page for setting up the loan calculator for the front-end (min/max loan amount, % to be paid and intervals).

A dedicated page for creating different types of loans, with their own loan % settings and periods of time (these loan types should be able to be listed on the front-end, when users apply for a loan).

A dedicated page for listing all the loan requests from visitors, awaiting for approval.

A dedicated page listing all open loans, closed, late, etc based on approval and closing deadline date.

A dedicated page holding informations about when the debts were payed and what was the amount (some kind of the history of the loan payment activity for every approved loan).

A page listing all the clients with debts, filtered by input periods.

I know ProcessWire is very capable, but I don't have experience using it, so I need your opinion if such a project can be done with PW. I can buy any Pro modules needed for the project.

Thank you

• Like 1

All of this seems pretty doable. 

Control Panel with 2 user groups: for administrator with access to all the CP and operator for specified sections access only.

ProcessWire has a built-in access control system that is REALLY powerful. For example, you could have "content editor" roles doing the articles only, and "financial editors"  roles for people that can edit loan information or view potential client loan requests.  (Just throwing ideas here)

17 hours ago, dcbn said:

A dedicated page for creating different types of loans, with their own loan % settings and periods of time (these loan types should be able to be listed on the front-end, when users apply for a loan).

Each loan type could be a page with the required template/fields to define the loans. 

17 hours ago, dcbn said:

A dedicated page for setting up the loan calculator for the front-end (min/max loan amount, % to be paid and intervals).

Again, a page with a template with the required fields should be enough. 

17 hours ago, dcbn said:

A dedicated page for listing all the loan requests from visitors, awaiting for approval.

Save forms to pages, and show them on a ListerPro!

17 hours ago, dcbn said:

Doable with some Process modules (basically a way to make custom dashboards in processwire, it's a bliss and almost the same as doing any frontend work), could be as simple or complex as you want. 

What would probably require more though on how you show/process data is with the loans themselves, what I would do is, have a page that holds the loan information, and pages that are child of it as "transactions" that affect the loan statuses, every time a transaction is saved, calculations could be done on the loan page holding the main data. For example, to update a field that shows how much is in debt or already paid. 

• Like 3

Pros of PW:

• You already have a solid and flexible backend (access control, fieldtypes and inputfields, ...)
  • Great fit of frontend + backend (you might be able to build everything as one app)
  • It's really easy to create custom admin pages as @elabx said (see link)
  • All the great things we love about PW

Cons:

This list is neither complete nor the only truth ? I don't really have any experience with other frameworks - that was just some experiences I had over the last few years building more complex apps on PW. I'm happy to learn from different opinions ? 

• Like 4

I can only repeat what @bernhard said. For me the admin area is outdated and does not feel fast enough.

However you are free to create an own custom admin area (not only theme, but you could do it as a vuejs application).

One bottleneck is the PageFinder which is very slow compared to Laravel or RockFinder, as it fetches many relations for each page.

RockTabulator in conjunction with RockFinder is better for some sort of listings than ListerPro but requires more initial work, and has not all the filter possibilities that ListerPro has. I think ListerPro would be a good match for you. I built some applications where I use both RockTabulator AND ListerPro, for different tasks/views. One disadvantage of ListerPro is, that you can't use it on custom module pages, but you can do it with RockTabulator.

One superior feature of the PW admin is the conditional dependency of fields (show field only if value x is in another field), which I haven't seen in other tools yet, or not yet to that extend.

Regarding your original question: It is possible with PW, and it might be the perfect fit for this type of application, but only if you use the right tools/modules.

Else I would look into Laravel in conjunction with AdminLTE or Laravel Nova, but thats just my preference.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 12/28/2019 at 4:46 PM, bernhard said:

Cons:

Update 2022

• Like 1

I would pretty much agree with all the above comments. Having built a number of web apps, I would say that PW is by far my favourite tool to turn a conceptual design into a working application, quickly and in a fairly ‘natural’ way. Obviously you need some reasonable php knowledge. Also don’t underestimate the work in getting the look and feel that you want for the front end - it’s not like Wordpress in that regard (but I hate WP for apps). 
You will need to give some careful thought as to whether you do one or two sites. If there is a lot of interaction between the front end and the admin functions then one site is probably best. Otherwise two interacting sites gives you a ‘cleaner’ CMS for the public site but is slightly more complex to implement. 
Last, but not least, the PW forum members are really helpful if you get stuck ?

Ps. Not sure if the op is still interested but that’s my twopennorth anyway. 

• Like 2