New post: Weekly update for 27 Dec 2019

ryan

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays and Happy New Year! This week we take a look at two new modules released this week: LoginRegisterPro and FileValidatorImage. Plus discussion of upcoming plans for new FileValidator modules and how they are useful in PW. Then a brief highlight of two great new ProcessWire-powered websites— 

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/new-modules-and-great-websites/

• Like 12

Hi Ryan,

thx for the great news and happy holidays and a new year to you as well ? 

The reason for a renewed focus on FileValidator modules is in part related to an upcoming feature in the LoginRegisterPro module. I’ve been developing a front-end file uploads feature for it (via a module named InputfieldFrontendFile), and in this environment we aren’t dealing with trusted users. So we have to maintain much stronger validation than we would in an admin (trusted user) environment.

That sounds great. I've no idea how you plan to implement this, but I wonder if it could make sense to also have the backend in your mind for this Inputfield ?  I've had several occasions where the admin file upload field was not ideal (mostly in ProcessModules and ModuleConfigs). And others had issues as well (eg @Robin S https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/964 ). I think also @Gadgetto had problems with some kind of invoice upload field?! I have no specific example right now where and how this would make sense, but maybe others have one?

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 11:28 PM, ryan said:

LoginRegisterPro

@ryan

Are there any plans to include SSO features in LRP? e.g. allow a new user to sign up with his Github/Google/FB/Twitter... account?

Single-sign-on registration / login can (at least in some use-cases) significantly optimize onboarding. I certainly wouldn't see it fit for new superusers, but for any other kind of custom-defined user-type, it would be a very cool feature to have.

If there are currently no such plans, how complicated would it be to add SSO to LRP? Would it be possible with hooks?

• Like 2

Hi @ryan,

I see that when FileValidatorImage is installed it is automatically employed by all InputfieldImage and InputfieldFile inputfields. I assume this means that there is no downside to having this validation so there is no need to allow the user to choose which fields it applies to (e.g. only specific inputfields used on the front-end by non-trusted users).

But if it's all upside and no downside then wouldn't it be better to have this module installed by default in the PW core and not as a separate non-core module?