Reserved documents area

3fingers

Hey all,
I'm here to ask for help about a request a client made me today.
He needs a private document area (for all registered users) and, furthermore, a private page (one per single user) holding specific documents belonging to the user itself.
I could code it by myself, but I already know that - sooner or later - more features (like filtering by document type, dates, and whatnot) will be asked by my client and....the $$ budget will not suffice the request.

So, here is the real question:

Do you know an external service (thinking about Dropbox, Box, etc.) which would let me "easily" do the following:

- User registers on my site and those credentials are used to also create a new user account on the third party SaaS (via api).
- On his private page (on pw site) he can then have 2 links: one for the shared folder (on SaaS site) and one for its private folder (on SaaS site).

Any clue? ?

Thanks @bernhard, I'll dig it deeper with your suggestion, even though it seems like their rates are way too high for my project.

@psy Nice module! I'd love to use it to complete this task, looks like it could let me easily list files of a dropbox folder into my site.

How to share, instead, just some specific files (belonging to the dropbox folder) to a specific user?

The ideal situation would be:

1) My client (whom is the one has access to the dropox panel and can upload files) decide to share just few files to user "x" (user "x" has previously registered to my pw site and has a private page).
2) Choosen files appears as links on the private user page ( I've noticed this on the thread you posted, but it's just part of the job).

One solution that comes into my mind would be to copy/paste such file links to a repeater belonging to the user page and iterate it on the front-end.

• Like 1

Hi @3fingers, thank you.

As mentioned, it's not an out-of-the-box solution. Read the Dropbox API doco. Maybe:

• Dropbox app/yourclientfolder/subfolder-by-pw-user ? Or,
  • List files in the Dropbox folder as checkbox options in the client's private page admin area- tick for each needed by user? Or,
  • As you mentioned, copy/paste links in a repeater on the client's page

There are lots of options. Think of these API's as toolboxes that allow you to create the scenario that suits your client's requirements.

• Like 2

I did this as @psy mentioned using those two modules.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, 3fingers said:

Thanks @bernhard, I'll dig it deeper with your suggestion, even though it seems like their rates are way too high for my project.

@psy Nice module! I'd love to use it to complete this task, looks like it could let me easily list files of a dropbox folder into my site.

How to share, instead, just some specific files (belonging to the dropbox folder) to a specific user?

The ideal situation would be:

1) My client (whom is the one has access to the dropox panel and can upload files) decide to share just few files to user "x" (user "x" has previously registered to my pw site and has a private page).
2) Choosen files appears as links on the private user page ( I've noticed this on the thread you posted, but it's just part of the job).

One solution that comes into my mind would be to copy/paste such file links to a repeater belonging to the user page and iterate it on the front-end.

In my implementation I allowed my client to upload to folders in dropbox and in Processwire assign users access to specific folders (and the files within). On the frontend I would present the logged in user on the site with thier folder and files the client was sharing with them -> this was for promotional materials but could be anything really.

• Like 2