Module ImageReference - Pick images from various sources

gebeer

Hi @gebeer, I tested the update this morning and oops...

I don't know what happened this time, but it no longer works at all either inside or outside of a repeater. it just loads a clone of the page currently being edited.

It's hard to explain, so this GIF should illustrate what's happening (this is a test outside of a repeater):

Animated GIF showing module bug

The above demonstrates the "choose an image from page" and "choose any page" options.

• The field settings are correct - they are same ones that worked (outside of a repeater) previously.
  • There are images available!
  • I tried the other options (from a folder etc) and exactly the same thing happens.
  • I uninstalled all other modules in case there was a JS conflict and still the same thing happens.

In case it helps, here is the console log:

Console log for the module

I'm using ProcessWire version 3.0.147 and PHP 7.2.

Happy New Year! (?)

@all

I just discovered that v2.0.1 is not working correctly when not logged in as superuser. The ajax calls to get the thumbnails are not working.

You can either revert back to v2.0.0 and deactivate the option to get thumbnails or wait for a fix to the master version.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

I have my logic for the ajax calls in the init() method of InputfieldImageReference.module. Until just now I didn't realize that this is not getting called correctly. I read up on how to implement ajax calls to an inputfield module and one of the proposed ways was to do this in init(). Will have to investigate further. If anyone can give me pointers on how to make this work, this would be great.

4 minutes ago, LMD said:

I don't know what happened this time, but it no longer works at all either inside or outside of a repeater

Are you logged in as non superuser when this happens? I just discovered a few minutes before you posted that there is a problem with non superusers. See my last post above. Try to fix this asap.

20 minutes ago, gebeer said:

Are you logged in as non superuser when this happens? I just discovered a few minutes before you posted that there is a problem with non superusers. See my last post above. Try to fix this asap.

No, it's in my dev environment and I'm the only user (superuser).

While I think of it, I also ensured the pages were 'published' and not 'hidden', in case that was the problem (it wasn't).

Edited by LMD
Last minute though
  • Like 1

Just now, LMD said:

No, it's in my dev environment and I'm the only user (superuser).

Thank you for clarifying. I'm currently looking into it. But won't be able to fix this until hopefully tomorrow.

Hi @gebeer,

I think it would be better to name the title of the fieldtype "Image Reference" instead of "Image Reference Fieldtype":

s0WVwtz.png

https://github.com/gebeer/FieldtypeImageReference/blob/2df486396ae58a5ff1687d30434cbfce6f913602/FieldtypeImageReference.module#L32

I guess this was due to a wrong field setup, but I also got these errors:

jyFaXaY.png

Regarding your AJAX:

I found it easier and safer to handle my ajax calls via hooking into ProcessPageView::pageNotFound: https://github.com/BernhardBaumrock/RockTabulator/blob/6670f2647fcbbb1f5ad4c5237ea9fd03b8899315/RockTabulator.module.php#L73

https://github.com/BernhardBaumrock/RockTabulator/blob/6670f2647fcbbb1f5ad4c5237ea9fd03b8899315/RockTabulator.module.php#L159-L188

I've taken a similar approch to yours on RockGrid and had some problems with it, because of scripts not being available when the field is collapsed and loaded via ajax or the like...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bernhard said:

I think it would be better to name the title of the fieldtype "Image Reference" instead of "Image Reference Fieldtype":

Yep, will change it.

8 minutes ago, bernhard said:

found it easier and safer to handle my ajax calls via hooking into ProcessPageView::pageNotFound

Thanks for that hint. Will give it a try.

• Like 1

New version v2.0.2 is available from github.

This version fixes the problems with getting thumbnails displayed via ajax. At least in my extensive testing everything was working. @LMD can you please give it a try now?

While trying to fix the ajax issue, I was running in circles for hours on end. Tried various methods I found in the forum and @bernhard's hook. I always got it working as superuser but got very strange results when logged in as an editor user with page edit permissions. Until I discovered that the problems were due to my module not always loading for ajax requests. I added 'autoload' => 'template=admin' to my module info and suddenly all was working as expected. Still scratching my head why a module's init() method would get called when logged in as superuser but not when logged in as editor. Any ideas here?

New in this version is the feature for uploading files to the predefined folder from within the inputfield. Here's a short preview of that feature.

Now that this is working, I'm thinking about adding the ability to delete them from within the inputfield, too.

As always, I shall be happy to receive your comments and issue reports ?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LMD said:

Works like a charm for me, both outside and inside repeaters

Today I discovered that it doesn't work inside RepeaterMatrix fields, yet. If you have a chance to test this, please report. Thank you.

New version v2.1.0 is available on github.

New features:

Images in folders can now be uploaded and deleted from within the input. I am pretty excited about this feature. It gives you an image field that holds images independent of a page where images can be edited (upload/delete) and outputs PageImage objects in the frontend that can be cropped and resized.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the module install 2 permissions imagereference-folder-upload and imagereference-folder-delte. Any non-superuser role needs those.

Short preview

Also now you can have the folder under either site/templates/ or site/assets/. The module will find it in both locations. If you have folders with same name in both locations, it will pick the one in site/templates/

The module is almost ready to go. One major thing, I need to fix, though, is getting it to work inside RepeaterMatrix fields. It is working fine inside normal repeaters. But eventually I will get there.

Feel free to grab a copy and do some tests. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Edited by gebeer
forgot to mention
  • Like 7

New minor version v2.1.1 with fix for error when using field inside RepeaterMatrix is on github.

This was a strange error and, honestly, I still don't quite understand the root cause. When trying to add a new repeatermatrix item with this field inside, I got the error

Field [fieldname] is not saveable because it is in a specific context

Google brought me to this closed issue in the processwire-issues repo. The issue was related to FieldTypeFile. I just applied the fix for it to my fieldtype module and it worked.

But I'd like to understand the underlying problem. So if anybody has any clue, please let me know. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 10:10 AM, gebeer said:

Today I discovered that it doesn't work inside RepeaterMatrix fields, yet. If you have a chance to test this, please report. Thank you.

Oh, sorry, I don't have a RepeaterMatrix field in operation anywhere at the current time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New version v2.1.2 is out on github.

This version fixes a problem with images inside a folder that have names not conform with file naming conventions.

When the module loads images from a folder, it converts them to Pageimage objects. When images are added to a Pageimages object file names get sanitized automatically by PW. In my case this resulted in different file names inside the Pageimage object and on disk. Consequently, thumbnails and previews for those images could not be loaded. I fixed this by automatically renaming all folder images to match the sanitized name versions inside a Pagimage object. 

This version also adds the ability to set values to this field via API. You can now do something like this to set a Pageimage object as new value to this fieldtype via API

$p = $pages->get(1001);
$image = $p->image; // returns a Pageimage object
$p->of(false);
$p->set('imagereference', $image); // sets the Pageimage object to the ImageReference field. This gets converted to a JSON string internally for storage
$p->save();

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@gebeer I've installed your module today for the first time. I was mostly interested in the feature "select from folder". But sadly, that just didn't work. I cleared site/cache several times, refreshed modules etc., but the field always would state that no such folder exists.

I have added that folder after creating the field. Does that matter? Does the folder have to be there before you create an image reference field? Nothing suspicious in the logs, btw (debug mode on).

ProcessWire: 3.0.149
PHP: 7.3.13
Webserver: Apache/2.4.35 (Win64) OpenSSL/1.1.1d
MySQL: 5.7.24

11 hours ago, dragan said:

I have added that folder after creating the field. Does that matter? Does the folder have to be there before you create an image reference field?

It doesn't matter whether you create the folder before or after. The module will pick it up once it is there. If it is not there yet, you will get a warning. Once it is there, the warning normally goes away. If it is empty, you will get a warning to upload images.

Can't reproduce your problem here on PW 3.0.145 PHP 7.2 But versions really shouldn't matter in that case. Did you install latest master?

EDIT: just tested this on PW 3.0.149 and PHP 7.3.2 without problems.

Where did you create the folder? It needs to be either in /site/assets/ or /site/templates/.

Please try and comment out line 680 in FieldtypeImagereference.module and see if the warning message persists. I attached the error to both the field and globally so it is shown at the top of the page when you save the settings. Maybe this is the culprit in your case?

Edited by gebeer

• 7 months later...

Hi @gebeer I'm trying to use your module within the settingfactory module but I' having some issue initializing it, what are the mandatory parameters to make it work? I tried this config but it shows just the placeholder image. Thanks

[
        'name' => 'logotest',
        'label' => __('Logo & Favicon'),
        'type' => 'InputfieldImageReference',
        'width' => '100',
        'fromfolder ' => true,
        'folderpath' => '/site/templates/',
        'description' => __('description'),
        'collapsed' => 0,
    ],

@Sevarf2 you need to specify the folderpath correctly.

When the files are located in /site/templates/images/icons/, the value is 'images/icons/ '

When the files are located in /site/assets/icons/, the value is 'icons/'

Hope that helps

40 minutes ago, gebeer said:

@Sevarf2 you need to specify the folderpath correctly.

When the files are located in /site/templates/images/icons/, the value is 'images/icons/ '

When the files are located in /site/assets/icons/, the value is 'icons/'

Hope that helps

still not working, I can only see the default image and nothing more
image.png.d6c9eece9e6aaa9ba0784d3941a37d70.png

I just installed tracy and I got this error
image.png.b729d656968f234013386aa669001a5e.png

I'm using php settings not json

[
        'name' => 'logotest',
        'label' => __('Logo & Favicon'),
        'type' => 'InputfieldImageReference',
        'width' => '100',
        'fromfolder ' => true,
        'folderpath' => 'assets/imgs/',
        'description' => __('image upload'),
        'collapsed' => 0,
    ],

@gebeer Are there plans to allow for multiple images to be used with this module / field-type? Or is there something I've been missing? I don't see anything in the module or field configs. (not that I would need it right now for a real-live project, I'm just curious)