PW 3.0.146 – Core updates

ryan

ProcessWire 3.0.146 contains about 22 commits (relative to 3.0.145) and these commits are largely focused on resolving reports from the processwire-issues repository. However, there have also been several improvements and related additions. 

One of these additions was a foundational upgrade that adds support for Fieldtype modules to use a custom class for Field objects. This will open more possibilities for improved Field/Fieldtype-specific APIs. Several have asked for improvements in the APIs of Repeaters and other fields, so this is a step that begins the lay the tracks for moving in that direction. Traditionally the API calls for working with Fields and Fieldtypes have not been nearly as simple as those that work with Pages, so this will be an upgrade that narrows and eventually eliminates that gap, longer term. On the core side, I currently plan on using this to improve the API for Repeaters, Comments and Options fields, and perhaps others. Outside of the core, ProFields will eventually take advantage of custom Field objects as well. As usual, none of this will break any existing code, but it will add simplicity for those that work with Field/Fieldtype APIs in ProcessWire. As for other changes in 3.0.146, I think last week’s ProcessWire Weekly did a great job of covering them, so if you are interested be sure to check that out. 

Next week is partially a holiday week here in the US, so I’ll be on a little bit of a reduced schedule, but will still be working on the core. I’m also releasing a new module into the ProDevTools set of modules next week, so I’ll tell you more about that one in next week’s blog or forum post. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

• Like 23