Updating PW using git merge?

Oliver

I store each of my PW projects in separate repos. When it comes to updating the version of PW used for a project, I'm sure there has to be an easy way to merge the master or dev branch of the PW repo into am update branch of the current project's repo. I already added the PW repo as remote source. But as I'm far from being a git pro, I haven't found the right way to do an update appropriately without getting everything messed up. It would be great if one or two of you guys would sketch their approach to updating a PW installation using git and github in a few words.

• Like 1

Most of the web servers I use don't actually have git, so I'm usually just doing this:

mv wire wire.old
mv wire.new wire

When a server does have Git, I'll usually keep the repository somewhere outside of the webroot. Then I'll basically do the above, replacing the wire directory with the new one, after a git pull. But my repository will live in a 'src' directory off of my [non web accessible] home directory. I keep it non web-accessible so that there isn't an extra uninstalled copy of PW lying around the server (which wouldn't be safe).

Perhaps there's a better way to go about this, but since most upgrades only involve replacing the /wire/ directory, I don't usually find it necessary to have the live core files themselves version controlled. Sometimes the /index.php and /.htaccess file will also need to be replaced, but that's fairly rare.