Module development - support for older themes worth the effort?

Gadgetto

I am currently working on 2 large modules (SnipWire and GroupMailer). The further the development progresses the more complex it is to fully support the 3 main themes (UIKit, Reno and Default).

What do you think: is it worth the effort or will the older themes soon disappear? Should I concentrate on UIKit only?

How do you handle this with your modules?

• Like 1

Personally I stick to uikit only. Especially on free modules everybody who is still using one of the "old" themes is free to file a PR... But I've never had this request. Maybe nobody is using any of my modules ? But just in case someone was using one, I guess it might make more sense to put the effort into switching from the old themes to uikit than supporting old themes in new modules.

• Like 6

Another +1 from here. If a module I maintain works for something other than Uikit then that's brilliant – but if it doesn't, I won't lose any sleep over it. For quite a while I used to support the "legacy" theme, new default theme, and Reno theme, but that was a major headache.

There will no doubt be sites running those older themes for quite a while, but my guess / gut feeling would be that a notable portion of those are older sites that probably aren't that actively developed anyway.

• Like 4