Idea for a community site - history timeline like Facebook

NooseLadder

Hi,

I'm currently building a Community website in PW and now planning 'history of the village' pages. This is where members of the community will send in stories, memories, photos etc. I was wondering how easy it would be to create a timeline like the one in Facebook, where the items are displayed by the date they occurred (not date added to timeline). Unlike Facebook the posts will have to be moderated (like Wordpress comments) before they appear on the timeline. I have no idea how to go about this so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 1

On the face of, this shouldn't be too tricky. Each 'event' (which can be a page with or without a template, depending whether you want to show it as a standalone page from a link on the timeline) will need a date field and then you can order them by date.

So you'd build the timeline something like this

$events = $pages->find('template=event,sort=-date');
foreach($events as $event){
...echo whatever you need
}
  • Like 1

Greetings NooseLadder,

Sounds interesting! I'm also "cooncepting" some similar ideas. For example, I live in a very active arts community, and I want to let people post images, descriptions, and addresses of their exhibitions.

If you get going on this and would like to collaborate, let me know. Maybe we can share some ideas -- or even develop a ProcessWire profile to share with the community?

I'm still fairly new here, but I already can see that this sort of concept would be fun to implement with ProcessWire. My main effort right now is learning to build entry forms for "regular" visitors to submit stories.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 2

Greetings,

Let's do this!

I am working on a site right now for an actual paying client. But in a few days I will have time to put this together. I'd be honored to create a profile others can use, and which will be a good vehicle to move my ProcessWire skills up a few notches.

Thanks,

Matthew

The key to a lot of this sort of thing is automatically and cleverly linking people and ideas together.

So, if someone posts an image to a time line, another person can either comment or link to another part of a timeline. History, community history in particular, is not just vertical, it is horizontal, and that is where the most interesting bits can be.

By the way, you chaps might find these interesting:

http://timeline.verite.co/

http://tympanus.net/Tutorials/LateralonscrollSliding/

http://timeglider.com/widget/index.php

Joss

• Like 2

Thanks for al your replies. MatthewSchenker: It looks like you will make time to start this before me as I am currently tied up on something else. It will be good to collaborate. I am also new to PW and consider myself an amature in this area, but will be glad to contribute as much as possible.

Joss: So, if someone posts an image to a time line, another person can either comment or link to another part of a timeline. History, community history in particular, is not just vertical, it is horizontal, and that is where the most interesting bits can be.

I agree it would be good to incorporate this aspect as well and thanks for the links. I'll take a look at them shortly. How should we progress on this? Keep this thread going or something else?

Greetings,

Well, I think we have come upon a great concept here. Not just the actual concept of creating a community site -- but also the concept of a public, collaborative approach to building a profile.

As Joss said, we can use this thread to hash out ideas and questions. Let it be messy! That's OK, since this is both a way to produce something, and to learn. Even though Joss, NooseLadder, and I are all relatively new at ProcessWire, we have all been around the block a few times with PHP, CMSs, and working with clients.

Along the way, "Hero Members" can jump in with a pointer or two. In the end, we'll have a working profile, the involved parties will have learned a lot, and we will have a thread that illustrates what is possible in this community. Maybe we can even make this a model for future concepts?

I'll be able to start putting some bits together next week.

This is great!

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 2

• 1 year later...