PW 3.0.144 – Core updates

ryan

This latest version on the dev branch includes a few additions, optimizations and fixes. I'm only in the office for a brief time today, so I'll plan to cover these in more detail hopefully in next week's blog post (along with next week's updates), but here's a preview. 

There's a lot of improvements to the "Overrides" tab that you see when editing a field (Setup > Fields > Edit). These are the field settings in the contexts of different templates. In 3.0.144, you now get a list of all field settings that you want to allow to be customized per-template. In previous versions, you only saw this option if you were in $config->advanced mode. It's still a YMMV setting, so appropriate disclaimers have been added to the field. But since it's been there for more than a year and there have not been any reports of issues (that I'm aware of yet), I thought it didn't need to be limited to advanced mode anymore. 

The table that shows you what overrides are in place is now improved as well. You can now click any override setting to open a modal window to see/edit them as needed (previously they were just non-clickable text labels). This is the same window that you get when clicking a field in the Template editor. Though unlike the Template editor, it takes you directly to the setting you clicked on and highlights it. After saving or closing the window, it updates the table for any changes you made. In addition to this, the overrides table now shows a Diff rather than separate Old and New values for modified settings, which better clarifies what was changed. (That Diff comes by way of a new method added in the WireTextTools class). 

Version 3.0.144 also adds a new Inputfields Javascript API. More methods are likely to be added to it, but you can see what's available in this first version in the comments for this file (inputfields.js). 

The purpose of this Inputfields JS API is to make it simpler to manipulate Inputfields from the JS side, as well as solve some needs that I've had in the core and modules; which presumably some other developers may have had as well. It takes a lot of stuff that previously required knowing which classes and attributes to manipulate and simplifies them to simpler methods calls from the new Inputfields JS API variable. It also abstracts away some admin-theme specific stuff so that you can use the same API to perform certain manipulations regardless of admin theme. I'm still working out some details and likely have some issues to fix and additional functions to add, so I'll save examples and more description for next week. Though the updates mentioned for the "Overrides" tab do use a little bit from this API.

This version also contains a couple of fixes per GitHub issue reports, and that'll continue into next week's version as well. More updates next week. Until then, thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

• Like 21

Hey @ryan!

I'm not sure if you did something special last week to get the Packagist dev-dev branch updated, but either way it is now serving 3.0.143. The problem is that this is the version right before the "Operator '&' is not supported" issue was fixed. I was hoping that releasing 3.0.144 would again update Packagist, but it didn't, which means that installing ProcessWire dev branch using Composer via Packagist currently results in a bugged version.

If you did do something special last week in this regard, it'd be awesome if you could do it again – and if not, a manual "update" at https://packagist.org/packages/processwire/processwire might be in order, or at least that could force Packagist to fetch the latest version ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@teppo I didn't do anything from this side, so not sure why Packagist decided to update then. I'm guessing they just do it automatically at certain intervals, kind of like the modules directory. Good idea—I'll login to it and see if I can get it to update manually. Thanks.

• Like 2