ryan

How to work with AJAX driven content in ProcessWire

Turns out I was using a selector that didn't work... I basically used the same one I use for regular search. In the end my selector just needed to define the parent, that was all.

It all works nicely now. I've added a little LazyCron task too: I save the JSON in certain intervals to a (hidden) PW page/field, and only query this JSON data with JS. It really speeds things up. Otherwise (with browser cache cleared) I had to wait a few seconds till the suggestions were loaded.

Thanks again for your help, suggestions + patience @AndZyk

• Like 5

Glad to hear it works now.

1 hour ago, dragan said:

I've added a little LazyCron task too: I save the JSON in certain intervals to a (hidden) PW page/field, and only query this JSON data with JS. It really speeds things up. Otherwise (with browser cache cleared) I had to wait a few seconds till the suggestions were loaded.

If your site doesn't frequently change, there is an cache option available in the Typeahead plugin:

cache: false,           // Improved option, true OR 'localStorage' OR 'sessionStorage'

But use whatever works best for you. ;)

• Like 3

On 8/26/2017 at 1:45 AM, dragan said:

I've added a little LazyCron task too: I save the JSON in certain intervals to a (hidden) PW page/field, and only query this JSON data with JS. It really speeds things up. Otherwise (with browser cache cleared) I had to wait a few seconds till the suggestions were loaded.

@dragan - Can you elaborate more on how you did this?  I would like to implement something like this on my sites.

3 hours ago, gmclelland said:

@dragan - Can you elaborate more on how you did this?  I would like to implement something like this on my sites.

If I understand the needs correctly, I think this is a perfect use case for WtireCache (https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-core-updates-2.5.28/#wirecache-upgrades). I use this to store the results of a complex set of selector queries that serve JSON to an AngularJS app.

• Like 1

@gmclelland Basically, what I did is installing this module: https://processwire.com/api/modules/lazy-cron/

Then I added this one line at the very bottom of my "search-input" template (the only place I need to ever access that index JSON):

wire()->addHook('LazyCron::everyHour', null, 'cronAutocompleteJSONCache');

In file _cron.php, that I

include_once("./_cron.php");

in my search-input template, I have this:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

function cronAutocompleteJSONCache(HookEvent $e) {

$selector = "parent=1041, has_parent!=2";
    $matches = wire('pages')->find($selector);

foreach ($matches as $match) {
        $result = array(
            "title" => htmlspecialchars_decode($match->title),
            "year" => $match->year,
            "project_desc_short" => htmlspecialchars_decode($match->project_desc_short)
        );
        $results[] = $result;
    }

$cacheHolderPage = wire('pages')->get(10029);
    $cacheHolderPage->setOutputFormatting(false);
    $cacheHolderPage->autocomplete_json = json_encode($results);
    $cacheHolderPage->last_update = date('d.m.Y h:i:s');
    $cacheHolderPage->save();

}

Of course, I could have also saved the JSON on the file-system, and check the timestamp, and decide on every request if the static JSON is older or newer than the PW-content, and load/generate one or the other, but for my needs, this seemed like the easiest and most straightforward solution.

PS

the field last_update I have only added for myself to see if it really works. I made it a "read-only" field in the settings. (not editable)

• Like 1