Typography!

MatthewSchenker

Greetings,

With the new design freedom that ProcessWire provides for my work, I am able to enter territory that before was too cumbersome to deal with in previous CMSs. Some of those are pretty basic, such as typography.

There are lots of typography services out there:

Typekit

Google Fonts

Lost Type Co-op

Font-Zone

Fontdeck

I've enjoyed using Google Fonts, but I wonder what the ProcessWire community thinks...

What's your favorite, and why? What is your opinion about paid versus free services? And what other typography services should I keep on my list?

Thanks,

Matthew

I always check Fontsquirrel first as it has a lot of good free fonts.

Failing that I check some of the others linked to above but if I have a specific font in mind that's not on any of those sites I'll buy the @font-face kit from myfonts.com

Greetings Everyone,

Wow! Just love the way discussions here get so many great responses.

Typography is such an exciting area. One of those relatively simple things that really boosts a site's style. It's also exciting that real typographical options are still a fresh concept. It's only been around 2 years or so.

To arjen: Textile is good, but that's more for styling existing typography, correct? I mean, it doesn't give you font-family options, does it?

Thanks,

Matthew

What I meant is that I always use Textile to preserve the styling of the website. I don't prefer a WYSIWYG because it brings the best above in people. That's why when it comes to editing web text I'm a strong believer in Textile (or Markdown).

• Like 1

I've used Fontdeck, Google Fonts and Typekit, and have to say all three have been pretty reliable. In terms of font selection, there's no doubt Typekit has the edge here. Then, Google Fonts is really attractive not only because it's free but also because it's got some very attractive fonts, like Lato, for example, which I'm currently using on my own site. Fontdeck is also great, but their pricing structure doesn't work well for me, as you have to pay for fonts in an individual basis (Proxima Nova Light, Proxima Nova Regular and Proxima Nova Semibold would be considered as three fonts). I'm also not a huge fan of Typekit's dependency on Javascript.

So, I use Google Fonts whenever I can but rely on Typekit when I need a wider font selection.

Claudio

• Like 2

• 6 years later...