About Keywords

franciccio-ITALIANO

What exactly is the problem? ProcessWire is all about fields where you can input data in the backend and output it on the frontend. In this case you might want to use a page reference field where the user can select multiple pages (tags) and then just foreach + echo them on the frontend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

In this case you might want to use a page reference field where the user can select multiple pages (tags) and then just foreach + echo them on the frontend.

Just to iterate on this answer: there's no built-in tag concept for pages in ProcessWire.

If you want to add tags to your pages, you can a) use a Page Reference field for your tags (in case you want to define a collection of tags and reuse them), or b) use a text field (if you only need to use them for this one use case). The code @psy posted above depends on you first adding a Page Reference field called "tags" for your page, but note that you actually want to provide it with two params: $page->tags->implode(', ', 'title') (or name instead of title, or whatever field/property of your "tag pages" you want to display).

On a loosely related note, the keywords meta tag you've mentioned is pretty much pointless these days. Search engines don't use it (at least as a ranking factor, although they may still include keywords contents in their index), and that was always pretty much the only reason to use it. Other than that tags can of course have valid use cases for categorising / grouping content ?

• Like 2

On a loosely related note, the keywords meta tag you've mentioned is pretty much pointless these days. Search engines don't use it

Can you back that up ? Did Google, Yahoo, or Bing mention anything about that ?

Speaking from my own experience, keywords won't help ranking up in Google, but leaving keywords out will rank you down.

2 hours ago, pwired said:

Can you back that up ? Did Google, Yahoo, or Bing mention anything about that ?

Speaking from my own experience, keywords won't help ranking up in Google, but leaving keywords out will rank you down.

Latest official statement is from '09, but nothing I've heard since has convinced me otherwise. Experts in the subject seem to concur. There have even been some suggestions that it may be harmful – though of this I also have no experience myself, or perhaps I was always using it in a "non-spammy" way ?

Bing has stated in the past that it uses the keyword meta tag as a spam signal when stuffed with keywords not relevant to the page. 

Latest advise from Moz states the following, classifying the keywords meta tag as "indifferent":

While no good SEO is going to recommend spending any time on this tag, there's some very small possibility it could help you somewhere. Please leave it out if you're building a site, but if it's automated, there's no reason to remove it.

The folks at Yoast even went through the trouble of removing the support for meta keywords from the Yoast SEO plugin, though I believe their reasoning was mostly just that people were spending time thinking of good keywords to put there, while in reality it was all wasted effort.

• Like 2

My experience with google searches is that they do not care about keywords. What matters the most is CONTENT: one or two regular authentic posts a week (or even more) presented in semantic HTML will lead to good search result postitions in the long run. Anything else can be considered to be fine tunig.

I made a webshop once for a healthshop. After I finished the webshop, the owner asked me if I wanted to do SEO for him and I said no to him. The thing with that is if you are going to do SEO, the site or shop owner wants to see result. My experience is that SEO results are completely unpredictable these days. After I said no to the owner of the health shop he consulted a german agency to do the SEO for him. He paid the german agency 2500 euro for 3 months SEO and in the end there was no difference in Google ranking. Voila, that is the reason why I say no if somebody asks me to do SEO because they claim the payed money back and it makes you damage your build up reputation. The only thing I see ranking up is to integrate a Blog in a website or webshop but that takes someone who is going to maintain that Blog everyday with fresh new relevant text, links and pictures. The only thing that I offer is to do a website analysis and SEO diagnostic and deliver an extended Audit Report. There are some good tools for that and it gets you paid without problems.

• Like 1

thank you all.
I wanted to know something about how to insert tags in processwire pages, because in the html version of a static site, it is very very easy to insert them. Indexed or not by google, in doubt they are put! I'm sorry I can't put them in processwire. If not google, the author needs to try to summarize the topic of the page. Anyway, thanks for the answers! ;)

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Introduction_to_HTML/The_head_metadata_in_HTML

Note: Many <meta> features just aren't used any more. For example, the keyword <meta> element (<meta name="keywords" content="fill, in, your, keywords, here">) — which is supposed to provide keywords for search engines to determine relevance of that page for different search terms — is ignored by search engines, because spammers were just filling the keyword list with hundreds of keywords, biasing results.

Another note that might also interest you:

Note: In Google, you will see some relevant subpages of MDN Web Docs listed below the main homepage link — these are called sitelinks, and are configurable in Google's webmaster tools — a way to make your site's search results better in the Google search engine.

19 hours ago, franciccio-ITALIANO said:

I wanted to know something about how to insert tags in processwire pages, because in the html version of a static site, it is very very easy to insert them. Indexed or not by google, in doubt they are put! I'm sorry I can't put them in processwire. If not google, the author needs to try to summarize the topic of the page. Anyway, thanks for the answers! ?

Hey franciccio!

I may have misunderstood your post (in which case: sorry in advance) but if by "I can't put them in processwire" you mean that you can't add keywords with ProcessWire, then please re-read the posts in this topic. As Bernhard and psy both pointed out, it's actually quite easy to do – the only thing you need to do is add a custom field for your keywords.

There's no native keyword field out of the box because, let's face it, very few users need that. That being said, if you want to have a field for storing and outputting keywords, all you need to do is add it yourself. Just like you would with any other custom data you require ?

11 hours ago, teppo said:

Hey franciccio!

Forse ho capito male il tuo post (nel qual caso: scusate in anticipo), ma se per "non posso mettere in processwire" Vuoi dire che non è possibile aggiungere parole chiave con ProcessWire, quindi si prega di rileggere i post in questa discussione . Come Bernhard e psy entrambi hanno sottolineato, in realtà è abbastanza facile da fare - l'unica cosa che dovete fare è aggiungere un campo personalizzato per le parole chiave.

Non c'è campo parola chiave nativo, fuori dalla scatola, perché, diciamocelo, pochissimi utenti hanno bisogno di questo. Detto questo, se si vuole avere un campo per l'archiviazione e l'output di parole chiave, tutto quello che dovete fare è aggiungere da soli. Proprio come si farebbe con qualsiasi altro dato personalizzato si richiede  ?

so, what is the code and what is the field? :/

5 hours ago, franciccio-ITALIANO said:

so, what is the code and what is the field? ?

Here's a great step by step guide of what you have to do: https://processwire.com/docs/tutorials/hello-worlds/

In this tutorial you will learn how to create and work with templates, fields, pages, and how to output dynamic data via your templates.

• Like 1