Weekly update for October 4th, 2019

ryan

Last week I worked primarily on GitHub issues, and did some of that this week as well. Likely I'll be doing a lot of this in October. Thank you for all of your reports. While there's already a lot of commits on the dev branch, I'm going to wait till next week to bump the version, as I've got some stuff in progress that I want to get committed first (more on that below). 

Next week I'm releasing version 40 of FormBuilder that supports paginated forms, as well as forms within forms (not to mention some other minor additions). Basically, all the stuff that was covered in this video from a few weeks ago, plus a little more. I actually think it's ready right now, but as is often the case, I started writing instructions for using the new features today and thought of a couple minor tweaks that would be helpful along the way. So I'm going to apply those early next week, finish the instructions, test it all out again, and then release it... likely mid-week next week. 

For the ProcessWire core, one feature people have been asking for for quite awhile is the ability to specify custom fields with file and image fields. I've been working on that here quite a bit this week, and have the initial test cases working quite nicely! Unlike the Description and Tags fields that come as built-in options with file and image fields, the new option instead uses a subset of ProcessWire's Fieldtype and Inputfield modules to support this (note: it does not use pages like repeaters do). This gives you more flexibility in defining what you want and how you want it to look. Though there are some limitations of what kinds of fields you can use here, but I think you will like what it offers and how it works. For those that just need a description and/or tags, then of course those features will remain as they are. But for those that need something more for file/image fields, you are going to have a whole lot of new options in 3.0.142. Unless I run into any roadblocks in finishing development of this part, I'll have it ready by this time next week along with a blog post that outlines it in more detail. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Thanks Ryan, the new image custom fields will be excellent. I‘m working on a site with about 40,000 images waiting to utilise this! Given that the custom fields don’t generate pages (like repeaters do), I imagine this feature will be able to support a large amount of images.