[solved] Weekend Challenge: RockTabulator needs JS Experts :)

bernhard

Putting "use strict" should really be the default... It simply shows more hints and errors and this can be very useful while debugging. Using this in every JS file now revealed some data type mismatch too, when using !=== instead of !==. (see screenshots below)

In trash.js I changed basically these lines:

var gridInstance = $('.RockTabulator.tabulator');
  var grid = RockTabulator.getGrid(gridInstance);

and further below:

// success
                if(result.success) {
                    UIkit.notification(check + result.success, {timeout: 3000});
                    if( RockTabulator.getGrid(gridInstance).reload() ) {
                        console.log('grid has reloaded!');
                    } else {
                        console.log('grid has not reloaded!');
                    }
                    // grid.reload();
                }
      },

But as I said, since RT is not known inside that JS script, it can't call an unknown method getGrid...

lastonefortoday.PNG

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dragan said:

when using !=== instead of !==. (see screenshots below)

I don't understand what you mean. I also don't get all the errors shown in your screenshot. Or at least I don't know when they occur. Maybe you could do a short screencast?

I'm working on the subdir fix now...

@bernhard Perhaps go back to page 1 of this thread, i.e. this post.

a) I have inserted in all JS files "use strict" at the very top

b) I have replaced != with !== everywhere the IDE was warning me

tldr; "use strict" in JS is something like PW's debug mode enabled: it gives you many more errors, hints + warnings that otherwise would slip through (even if you end up with unexpected results). The Mozilla link I posted is a good read.

28 minutes ago, dragan said:

Thx, I've read all your posts and links. "use strict" atm breaks my module. I'll have a look into that.

I don't see any harm in using != instead of !== wherever I'm using it, but if you can explain why it should be a problem I'm happy to learn and change it.

trash.thumb.gif.a4118e605c48abfec6a3341bcf6eef00.gif

22 hours ago, dragan said:

Yep: you should get used to use "use strict" in every JS file, then you would have found this error earlier: 

https://developer.mozilla.org/de/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Strict_mode

Voila ? https://github.com/BernhardBaumrock/RockTabulator/commit/6920de2120ade50099e269b6fa025acc98659d8a

18 hours ago, dragan said:

tldr; "use strict" in JS is something like PW's debug mode enabled: it gives you many more errors, hints + warnings that otherwise would slip through (even if you end up with unexpected results). The Mozilla link I posted is a good read.

@bernhard the != or == comparison operator will simply check for a value no matter of the type in example checking against 1, '1', or true will always return true, whereas triple comparison operator will also check for type, therefore if a variable value was set to like var a = 1; checking against boolean like if(a === true) will return false because value of variable a is actually integer.
It's best practice using triple comparison operator but it also depends on situation if in example the type of value you are checking against is always known and you always expect it to be the same.

• Thanks 1

Thx for the explanation. I'm aware of that, but my question was more if there is a good reason in this special case why I should use !== instead of !=

I tend to use !== whenever it is NECESSARY (eg when doing strpos where a 0 is something different than FALSE) and != whenever it is not necessary. That way I know instantly that the type matters...

PS: Welcome to the forum ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bernhard said:

I tend to use !== whenever it is NECESSARY

I do the opposite: I tend to use != and == when it is necessary, eg. when we are expecting multiple types and coercing can be harvested as a lazy programmer's tool ? 

Remebering what != and == do can be a challenge: https://dorey.github.io/JavaScript-Equality-Table/

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 1