GNU/Linux Lovers here ?

JeevanisM

Hello there,

I been using Gnu/Linux as my primary OS and only OS I use in my Work/Personal Laptop ( before that I used to have dual boot with Windows, the last version of MS OS I have used was Windows XP ). I been totally satisfied with the performance  of Linux and everything I needed was there. For the development, I use the Geany editor ( now I am using Atom ), GIMP for some few image editing, XAMPP for the STACK.  Right now I am on Manjaro Box with Kubuntu as the second OS. 

linuxbox.thumb.jpg.39bab6ce27accb55218fdba192737828.jpg

How many others here use GNU/Linux as the primary OS setup ? 

• Thanks 1

Actually i mostly use Linux too. 

Just using a Xubuntu as it  is lacking most the cool and modern desktop effects i not really like. 

Libre Office as it often is more "compatible" for opening office documents than Microsoft office itself. In addition it has far better support for CSV data files.

Gimp for grafiks, Imagemagick for scripted image processing./creation.
In addition Scribus and Inkscape for other tasks

Vim, Mousepad, Atom, Jedit, PHP-Storm as editor/development environment. 

Firefox / Thunderbird for web and communication.

On the server side i  almost never used anything else than Linux/BSD. 
Apache, NGINX, MariaDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP,  Perl, Python, Bash ....  

What else do i need ? ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gideon So said:

Yeah!! Long time Linux user. From Fedora Core 1 (2003) to Fedora 30 (2019). Very happy.

Gideon

Ha, I also started using Fedora Core in 2003. I've tried a lot of distros over the years and have pretty much settled on RHEL/CentOS for servers because of the great documentation. I use Windows at my day job (with a bit of Ubuntu through WSL) and Mac for music production. There's plenty to love (and dislike) about each OS, to be honest. It's impressive how many tools actually work well on Linux these days, and how things like wireless network and soundcard compatibility aren't the complete nightmares they were back in the 00's.

Another great thing about Linux is that you can look at, say, UNIX documentation from the '70s or a Red Hat book from 1998 and much of it will still be relevant and useful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WinnieB said:

Ha, I also started using Fedora Core in 2003. I've tried a lot of distros over the years and have pretty much settled on RHEL/CentOS for servers because of the great documentation. I use Windows at my day job (with a bit of Ubuntu through WSL) and Mac for music production. There's plenty to love (and dislike) about each OS, to be honest. It's impressive how many tools actually work well on Linux these days, and how things like wireless network and soundcard compatibility aren't the complete nightmares they were back in the 00's.

Another great thing about Linux is that you can look at, say, UNIX documentation from the '70s or a Red Hat book from 1998 and much of it will still be relevant and useful.

I once spent 2 days trying to configure my modem and my Sound Blaster drivers on Slackware. What a pain :). Nowadays is much easier indeed, but not perfect. I can't work on Linux full time because I need to use Adobe products almost everyday and unfortunately the there's no better workflow than running them on Windows or MacOS.

• Like 2

2019-08-23-194457_2560x1440_scrot.thumb.png.8fa56b55ea59ebf919386018ab81074d.png

A few months back I gave Linux another chance. I was looking for something that could improve my workflow in some kind or the other and yes... I'm still on Linux. Tried a lot of distros and windows managers since then - right now I'm super happy with Manjaro and the i3 (i3-gaps) window manager.

Works pretty pretty well so far.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 11:26 PM, wbmnfktr said:

2019-08-23-194457_2560x1440_scrot.thumb.png.8fa56b55ea59ebf919386018ab81074d.png

A few months back I gave Linux another chance. I was looking for something that could improve my workflow in some kind or the other and yes... I'm still on Linux. Tried a lot of distros and windows managers since then - right now I'm super happy with Manjaro and the i3 (i3-gaps) window manager.

Works pretty pretty well so far.

Manjaro is rocking cool !

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Definitely! Started playing with it around 1998 and learnt by busting installs over and over. I have a couple of Windows VMs for work but only fire them up when I really have to. Other than that I am in Linux all the time.

Currently running Manjaro on my laptop, with an Arch VM for testing and a Debian VPS for my web stuff. Started off with Redhat, Mandrake/Mandriva, Debian, Gentoo (its first release... STAGE 1 INSTALLS BACK THEN TOOK A LONG TIME) before falling back in love with Debian. Then I used Ubuntu from its first release (2004(?)) up until last year when I needed to reformat my laptop and figured I'd give the Arch style thing a go but didn't have enough time to play around with an Arch install from scratch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's Linux for me anyday anytime, there are so much work I get down easily, also the terminal, I can pipe and do crazy stuff, I just installed awesomeWM and looking to play with that, I like i3 but learning C++ to customize my UI is too big of a task to take, with awesomeWM I can pick up Lua and customize my os. Been running Linux since Ubuntu 6 I think and always loved it as my programming environment. 

• Like 3

Not that much has changed since my inital post but still I want to give a short update.

One thing has changed and made my life easier. I re-installed Manjaro and used it's XFCE edition and installed i3 afterwards. So I had everything in place I may need in the future - as in graphical interfaces for changes or settings. But to be honest... I never needed it by now. Still... happy to have it around.

Another thing I changed was the keyboard layout. I used to use a QWERTZ (DE) keyboard but for a few weeks now I'm using a QWERTY (ANSI) mechanical keyboard and layout. Im still struggling to hit each and every key in the right moment but... well... it works quite well so far. Most of the time it's even easier than before as < >, [ ] and { } are way easier to type as before. At least while writing code. (Dear german/austrian/swiss DEVs... try an ANSI QWERTY keyboard... brackets, braces and however they are called... are way easier to type.)

Don't know how I got here but by now my full boot time is down to 11 seconds, which is nice, but overall... using lots of terminal programs my CPU load and memory usage went way down. CPU on average 10%, and RAM at about 1GB. Quite impressive on a 2015 Thinkpad with i7 with 8GB of RAM. Due to a dedicated swapfile I can almost double my RAM to 16GB in order to run Chromium, Firefox, Opera, Brave and Vivaldi, while Thunderbird, ScreamingFrog, VS Code and lots of other apps running.

Git, Yarn, NPM and all the tools I almost never used running almost each and every day - in terminal but still.

Still struggling to prepare my MS Surface to love Linux but... yeah... everyone needs I hobby I guess.

Details can be seen in the screenshot below... otherwise... ask here or in the DMs.

2020-03-10_00-30.png

2020-03-10_01-05.png.5639f9208316f19f30902f86e1d57930.png

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right now... I'd say either Manjaro (Arch based) or Pop OS 20.04 (Ubuntu based - but with slightly better defaults in my opinion).

Otherwise based on your prefered desktop environment or window manager.

Ubuntu/Debian based systems have the huge benefit of .deb files which seems sometimes way easier in terms of installing necessary software. And LAMP stacks are way easier to setup.

• 1 month later...

When I was in school we were given a Thinkpad E590 with 32GB RAM and two SSDs (500GB and 1TB M2). It came with Win 10 Pro. and I hated it. I missed the freedom and the speed of my old Linux system.

I have two old Thinkpad T400s, one runs minimal Debian with openbox and i3, the other is Arch. I still prefer Debian.

Last weekend I wiped my M2 drive to run PopOS and couldn't be happier. I have no booted into Windows except maybe one to run Affinity Designer (similar to photoshop). I was never a fan of Gnome but it is truly growing on me, liking it more every day! Although I do miss i3 ? ? ? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello there. I use Linux (Ubuntu, at the moment) on nearly all of my computers. I have been using Linux for about twenty years.

I still keep WinXP in a VirtualBox because I won't do without MS Access, and I recently bought a very cheap HP laptop with Windows 10 for use with devices that can not be used with Linux, some of them not even with Windows in a VirtualBox, mostly scanners. However, very nice Laptops can be had for next to nothing, so I just consider the cost of this laptop as part of the cost of the scanners.