Wordpress or Processwire for a News Magazine website ?

JeevanisM

Hello All,

I have a new project in hand, which is a new magazine news website. I am just giving a thought about to choose whether wordpress or processwire to build this website. This website will have many editors ( multiple users ) and each of them need a login and they can post the articles. Once the article posted, the main editor should check and validate and confirm for the publishing. Another feature I would want is some thing similar Jetpack in Wordpress, the analytics of website articles ( most read, visitors from which country etc ) . I know wordpress has so many plugins for all these, but I am always a bit hesitant about the Wordpress Plugin system because of their non-linear update cycle.

So any one of you have done a professional news magazine website in ProcessWire yet ? What are the features / concepts for a news website project in Processwire ?

expecting your replies.

thank you

Hello,

It all depends on your experience, but naturally I would recommend ProcessWire ? If you pick PW, ProDrafts is worth considering: https://processwire.com/store/pro-drafts/

Quote: "With ProDrafts installed, such users can now edit a draft of the published page, even if they can't publish the draft. This provides some very useful workflow potential for sites having multiple editors and access levels."

33 minutes ago, JeevanisM said:

Another feature I would want is some thing similar Jetpack in Wordpress, the analytics of website articles ( most read, visitors from which country etc ) .

There are some (one or two, perhaps?) basic free modules for basic analytics, and they can be used as the bases of further development, or you can integrate Matomo with PW, for example.

33 minutes ago, JeevanisM said:

So any one of you have done a professional news magazine website in ProcessWire yet ? What are the features / concepts for a news website project in Processwire ?

Until you get more answers to this question, you might want to browse these sources:

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

The validation/publishing is easily setup with users that can create and edit, but not publish permissions. 

About Jetpack, that I don't know, maybe just Google Analytics?

I'd use AdminOnSteroids adjustments for CKEditor. 

I have a magazine project with some friends running around a 1,000 articles for a couple years, 30k visits a months or more, and the only maintenance I give is new features, in a Wordpress site you'd have to be updating everything like every couple weeks or less and praying nothing dies (maybe it's an exaggeration by this point? but has happened to me when I still used WP for a couple project. ) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, elabx said:

maybe it's an exaggeration by this point? but has happened to me when I still used WP for a couple project.

No, it's still not an exaggeration (and probably never will be...). If one can get be paid for maintenance works, then WP is a "perfect" platform; a great time killer in this area.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, elabx said:

praying nothing dies (maybe it's an exaggeration by this point?...)

Had two calls last week from people who wanted to know if I can help re-animate their dead sites. They had issues with plugins during an update in their WP sites which locked them in a maintenance mode or something. Still weird but at least it was kind of easy to fix. So this seems to be a real issue in some circumstances.

But back to the topic...

As @szabesz and @elabx already mentioned... the workflow can quite easily be implemented. Maybe you just setup a small site and test the user and publishing workflow. In terms of upgrade issues and performance ProcessWire is way ahead and the better choice - in everything else as well.

• Like 2

Definitely, I would recommend PW.

In my case, the client didn't like the tree structure of pages, so I had to create separate Process modules for managing news, tags, banners, categories. I have found that it's much easier to control permissions and workflow via custom modules.

chrome_RXeVFNQZPO.png

• Like 11

On 8/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, szabesz said:

Hello,

It all depends on your experience, but naturally I would recommend ProcessWire ? If you pick PW, ProDrafts is worth considering: https://processwire.com/store/pro-drafts/

Quote: "With ProDrafts installed, such users can now edit a draft of the published page, even if they can't publish the draft. This provides some very useful workflow potential for sites having multiple editors and access levels."

There are some (one or two, perhaps?) basic free modules for basic analytics, and they can be used as the bases of further development, or you can integrate Matomo with PW, for example.

Until you get more answers to this question, you might want to browse these sources:

Hope this helps.

thank you for your suggestions

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, elabx said:

The validation/publishing is easily setup with users that can create and edit, but not publish permissions. 

About Jetpack, that I don't know, maybe just Google Analytics?

I'd use AdminOnSteroids adjustments for CKEditor. 

I have a magazine project with some friends running around a 1,000 articles for a couple years, 30k visits a months or more, and the only maintenance I give is new features, in a Wordpress site you'd have to be updating everything like every couple weeks or less and praying nothing dies (maybe it's an exaggeration by this point? but has happened to me when I still used WP for a couple project. ) 

thank you for  sharing your experience. I too had a similar situation about another project done in wordpress, it came to me after the original creator stopped support to the client. Btw, Is there any good facebook comment plugin system in Processwire ?

On 8/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, wbmnfktr said:

Had two calls last week from people who wanted to know if I can help re-animate their dead sites. They had issues with plugins during an update in their WP sites which locked them in a maintenance mode or something. Still weird but at least it was kind of easy to fix. So this seems to be a real issue in some circumstances.

But back to the topic...

As @szabesz and @elabx already mentioned... the workflow can quite easily be implemented. Maybe you just setup a small site and test the user and publishing workflow. In terms of upgrade issues and performance ProcessWire is way ahead and the better choice - in everything else as well.

I am leaning to Processwire only but can you tell me whether there is a good way of Facebook comment system implementation on Processwire ?

21 hours ago, Zeka said:

In my case, the client didn't like the tree structure of pages, so I had to create separate Process modules for managing news, tags, banners, categories. I have found that it's much easier to control permissions and workflow via custom modules.

chrome_RXeVFNQZPO.png

Nice to know that you have such a good experience with PW. But did you ever use a Facebook Comment system on Processwire ?

On 8/12/2019 at 8:19 PM, Zeka said:

Offtopic, but have you (@zeka) had a look at RockFinder and RockGrid? And the upcoming RockFinder2 and RockTabulator? ? 

• Like 4

On 8/12/2019 at 8:19 PM, Zeka said:

chrome_RXeVFNQZPO.png

Hi Zeka, I was wondering how easy/difficult it has been to style the back office to black & white theme ? Any hints on how you achieved that ?

• Like 1

@Nicolas This looks like @Noel Boss's admin theme: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/admin-theme-uikit/

If you want to customize the admin theme yourself, you can clone the wire/modules/adminthemefolder/ to site/modules/. PW will detect that you have two such folders and ask which one to use. You've got the full monty in the package: LESS files, webpack etc.etc.

22 hours ago, JeevanisM said:

Btw, Is there any good facebook comment plugin system in Processwire ?

For what I understand you don't really need a plugin even though one could do it, from the last time I implemented something like this it's just javascript placed on the header/footer and placing the right HTML element. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 4:25 PM, dragan said:

Never had to use any such thing myself, but take a look here: https://modules.processwire.com/categories/social/

What exactly should this "comment system" do? Do you want to embed FB comments in your site? Something like this?

Yes, people can comment in the article from their own facebook profiles, so that it would be easier for them. 

On 8/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, elabx said:

For what I understand you don't really need a plugin even though one could do it, from the last time I implemented something like this it's just javascript placed on the header/footer and placing the right HTML element. 

Can you please share the code you have used to achieve this ?