Custom ProcessModules under menu "Setup" - better alternatives?

Gadgetto

Can anyone tell me what's the deeper reason for putting custom ProcessModule menus under "Setup"? It kind of feels wrong... especially for full featured Apps like my upcoming SnipWire.
Wouldn't it be better to have a dedicated "Extras" menu or something else?

I know I can place the menu entry for my module wherever I like, but I think we need a better standard.

How do you think about this?

23 minutes ago, Gadgetto said:

I know I can place the menu entry for my module wherever I like, but I think we need a better standard.

What do you mean with "better standard"? You can move your custom process module within 2 seconds. That's not really too cumbersome, isn't it?

admin-folder.PNG.4ec00083056313d1bb0d1b10683b8ce7.PNG

In this example, dashboard + forms are top-level links in the admin, not under "setup".

The "default standard" prevents breaking the top-level admin links to have too many items and therefore maybe breaking the navigation (visually, i.e. two or three rows instead of just one).

• Like 1

Honestly I don't think that there's any deeper meaning here. Setup is always available and generic enough to contain different types of things. That's just about it.

We could probably figure out some other "generic parent", but personally I'm OK with "Setup" -- though I do see your point, and do think that it's a valid concern ?

• Like 1

I kind of like it as we set things up there.

A few years ago I didn't like the global use of page for absolute everything and the menu label setup... but nowadays it feels weird to have a global settings page/area as in WordPress or things like posts and pages.

Maybe you can add your SnipWire (page) into the navigation bar next to setup somehow.
And as far as I know is your module quite huge and almost a standalone version of ProcessWire... it would make perfectly sense to add it to the top bar.

Disclaimer: yes... I'm sometimes weird, confused and do things differently.

• Like 1

The term "Setup" doesn't make much sense to me either for things other than Templates and Fields and perhaps others like Languages etc. But the nice thing is that you can rename Setup to something else if you want, or move any of it's children out to the top level, or under another parent you might create, perhaps called "Tools" or whatever you want.

No, but on a second thought I got that my screenshot is not exactly answering your question... A shop module could totally make sense in a separate tab (menu item) even for superusers. I'd have to think more about that. A quick idea would be a redirect module that adds custom menu items for some users that actually live somewhere else? I think AOS has a similar feature.

1 hour ago, Gadgetto said:

different menu structure for admins and clients

You can easily change the order with CSS flexbox, i.e. place a custom link first, before pages. Together with the body role- classes, it would be a breeze to re-arrange the order (or perhaps use a different styling).

A quick-and-dirty example:

body.role-nonsuperuser li.page-10065- {
	flex: 1;
	order: -1;
}

body.role-nonsuperuser #pw-masthead .uk-navbar-nav> li.page-10065- a {
	font-size: 1.5em;
	color: yellow;	
	font-weight: 800;
}

page 10065 is a custom dashboard page here, and with the first two CSS statements it puts the dashboard link first, and pages etc. after that - only for non-superusers.

16 hours ago, dragan said:

You can easily change the order with CSS flexbox, i.e. place a custom link first, before pages. Together with the body role- classes, it would be a breeze to re-arrange the order (or perhaps use a different styling)...

Hmm.. this feels a bit like a hack for me. And it doesn't work for sub-menu entries.