Headless, Hybrid CMS and DXP - What are those and what Processwire has to do with them?

JeevanisM

Hello All,

Recently I have read a series of articles about some new terms like Headless CMS, Hybrid CMS and Digital Experience Platforms ( DXP). I cannot get a clear picture of these but I could understand that these are different from the traditional CMS as we use now, at least in theoretical level. Does any one here have any better understanding on these topics ? may be what / how we can apply these on the processwire CMS ?

just for the talk

Hi Jeevanish,

For the most point some of these are just buzz words.

Headless CMS is basically the CMS exists away from the website and talks via an API such as JSON / XML / GraphQL (This allows you to use the data anywhere on the web or an internet connected drive, lets say for an APP)

Hybrid CMS is something that seems relatively new, and it seems to be that Headless CMS doesn't have great editor functionality, hybrid seems to be a buzz word around it's a great easy to use CMS with Headless functionality, I guess if you installed GraphQL to ProcessWire it would be considered hybrid.

Digital Experience Platform seems to be a platform that all talks to each other using different mediums. Lets say you have a train station, that system lets you book a ticket, that then updates a message board letting them know how many tickets are left, which updates their website and also sends to the ticket attendents which shows that the ticket is for that train. This is just an example. This system can be accomplished with Headless or Hybrid.

• Like 12

On 8/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, Tom. said:

Hi Jeevanish,

For the most point some of these are just buzz words.

Headless CMS is basically the CMS exists away from the website and talks via an API such as JSON / XML / GraphQL (This allows you to use the data anywhere on the web or an internet connected drive, lets say for an APP)

Hybrid CMS is something that seems relatively new, and it seems to be that Headless CMS doesn't have great editor functionality, hybrid seems to be a buzz word around it's a great easy to use CMS with Headless functionality, I guess if you installed GraphQL to ProcessWire it would be considered hybrid.

Digital Experience Platform seems to be a platform that all talks to each other using different mediums. Lets say you have a train station, that system lets you book a ticket, that then updates a message board letting them know how many tickets are left, which updates their website and also sends to the ticket attendents which shows that the ticket is for that train. This is just an example. This system can be accomplished with Headless or Hybrid.

thank you very much @Tom. for your insightful reply. Now I understand it better