SearchEngine

teppo

On 5/31/2020 at 12:29 PM, dynweb said:

Using the module on a multi-language site. When saving a page, I get the following error: "Call to a member function setLanguageValue() on string", File: .../modules/SearchEngine/lib/Indexer.php:99

98:                        if ($index_field_exists) {
 99:                            $page->get($index_field)->setLanguageValue($language, $index[$language->id]);
101:                        }

I suppose we need a $page->of(false) here before calling setLanguageValue() ?

Actually it sounds like your search_index field could be single-value textarea, instead of textarea (multi-language). If so, you'll have to change the type of the field manually.

Could you check if this is the case?

Either way I should probably add some extra checks to make sure that this doesn't happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teppo said:

Actually it sounds like your search_index field could be single-value textarea, instead of textarea (multi-language). If so, you'll have to change the type of the field manually.

It is multi-language.

As far as I understand, $page->get($field) returns the field value (a string) if output formatting is true, and a field object if output formatting is false (what we need here).

On 6/9/2020 at 1:49 PM, dynweb said:

It is multi-language.

As far as I understand, $page->get($field) returns the field value (a string) if output formatting is true, and a field object if output formatting is false (what we need here).

Right — looks like I skimmed too quickly over this part. Was also pretty sure that I had tested this before, but you're right that it doesn't seem to work at the moment. Thanks, I'll take a closer look soon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite new to ProcessWire and never finished to learn new things about web development so forgive me if this is a stupid question. What is the exact advantage of this module to the native search function within PW? Because it feels like I could build on the "search"-template and get pretty much the same results.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 3:36 AM, fruid said:

I'm quite new to ProcessWire and never finished to learn new things about web development so forgive me if this is a stupid question. What is the exact advantage of this module to the native search function within PW? Because it feels like I could build on the "search"-template and get pretty much the same results.

I'm curious as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 1:49 PM, dynweb said:

In the end I couldn't reproduce this issue: when a page is indexed, output formatting should be disabled, and thus this sort of problem shouldn't happen. Likely there's some scenario I've missed, so in 0.24.0 I switched that get() to getUnformatted(). I hope that resolves the problem — but if not, I may need a bit more information on how to reproduce it ?

On 6/24/2020 at 12:36 PM, fruid said:

Don't worry, it's not a stupid question ?

You can definitely build a custom search feature and get great results with that, but things tend to get a little more complicated if your site contains a larger amount of fields, and particularly if you're using Repeater, RepeaterMatrix, PageTable, or other types of fields with repeatable content — or perhaps page reference fields gluing content from different pages together. In other words content that isn't technically (directly) part of the page, but needs to be tied with the page in the context of site search.

Although in many cases you could no doubt include all those fields in your search queries, this can result in pretty complex queries, and such queries also tend to become inefficient. Generally speaking the more fields you join in the query, the more complex the resulting SQL query will get, and the more time and resources it'll take to process. Not a great thing for scalability.

First version of SearchEngine was really just an easy way to reuse bits and pieces of code that were developed over time to mash field values together so that they could be searched more efficiently. Soon after along came the markup generating parts (which now make up a notable portion of the module), a set of features for automatically filtering and sanitizing queries and processing the index, JSON output option (mostly for AJAX requests), indexing support for field types requiring specific handling (core ones as well as third party), etc.

From the initial post in this thread:

Though the API and selector engine make it really easy to create site search pages, I pretty much always end up duplicating the same features from site to site. Also – since it takes a bit of extra time – it's tempting to skip over some accessibility related things, and leave features like text highlighting out. Overall I think it makes sense to bundle all that into a module, which can then be reused over and over again ?

These days in my projects I install SearchEngine, set it up, and trigger the render function. The module takes care of everything else and "just works". In a nutshell SE bundles most of the stuff a typical site search will need into one package, and tries to do it efficiently and following best practices ?

Hope this answered your question!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, teppo said:

when a page is indexed, output formatting should be disabled, and thus this sort of problem shouldn't happen. ?

This put me on the right track ? I had a Pages::saved hook that set output formatting to true (when it shouldn't). Thank you!

• Like 1

Quick heads-up: SearchEngine 0.25.0 was just released. This version adds support for the new selector operators added in ProcessWire 3.0.160, and also adds a new details section below the selector operator setting.

If someone has defined the operator in site config ($config->SearchEngine), that's still a valid option and new operators can be used there as well.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 4:03 AM, gornycreative said:

I just started tinkering around with this haven't haven't looked under the hood a ton. Is the _auto_desc using a method to generate on the fly or is this being populated in the results somewhere that I can refer to?

This is generated on the fly when a result is rendered. Behind the scenes Renderer::renderResultDesc() and Renderer::renderResultsJson() both get field values using Renderer::getResultValue(), which in turn calls Renderer::getResultAutoDesc _auto_desc "pseudo field" (as in: not a real field) is requested.

There's currently no public API for accessing this directly, but if you've got a use case that can be solved by adding one, I wouldn't be against it. Though in that case I'd like to know a bit more about the context ?

16 hours ago, Sevarf2 said:

I got this error during install (pw 3.0.159 dev)

Edit: apparently I solved updating to the latest dev version 3.0.160
image.thumb.png.78bbcaa3b512c65033e2a959aaadf57d.png

Sorry! Accidentally introduced a dependency for ProcessWire 3.0.160 in the Config class.

This is now fixed: latest module version (0.25.1) provides proper fallbacks for core versions prior to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @teppo!
I have just installed / downloaded SeachEngine Module on my PW 3.0.148.
I got the error: 

Parse Error: syntax error, unexpected '?' (line 269 of /var/www/admin/www/*******/site/modules/SearchEngine/SearchEngine.module.php)

It's bloked PW module area.

44 minutes ago, Alkrav said:

Hi @teppo!
I have just installed / downloaded SeachEngine Module on my PW 3.0.148.
I got the error: 

It's bloked PW module area.

Are you using PHP 7 or above?

'??' is a null coalescing operator added in PHP 7. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody. Nice module look like good continuation of method fieldtype_cache of 2016 .
Is it possible to realize showing results with AJAX like on the pics.
Results is appearing under input, and last searches stored in the same style and showing when mouse click on input field.
And it is good idea for logging searching data for next analize or it can be stored localy.

Livesearch_pic.JPG

Hi. I'll try use jQuery for realize live search on this module. But it doesn't work.
I took these code:

$(document).ready(function() {	
	var $result = $('#se-results');

$('#se-form').on('keyup', function(){
		var q = $(this).val();
		if ((q != '') && (q.length > 1)){
			$.ajax({
				type: "POST",
				url: "./",
				data: {'q': q},
				success: function(msg){
					$result.html(msg);
					if(msg != ''){	
						$result.fadeIn();
					} else {
						$result.fadeOut(100);
					}
				}
			});
		 } else {
			$result.html('');
			$result.fadeOut(100);
		 }
	});

$(document).on('click', function(e){
		if (!$(e.target).closest('.search-form').length){
			$result.html('');
			$result.fadeOut(100);
		}
	});
});

What i do wrong? Maybe i use not supported method?

Edited by Alkrav
Changed data: {'q': q},

@Sevarf2 thanks.
Interesting reaction: If i delete frome page code  <?= $searchEngine->renderResults() ?> string (beacause there is no reaction) and add <div id="se-results"></div> i'll get loaded the same page in the div.
To whitch URL i need send POST query to get results (url: "./",)?

1 hour ago, Alkrav said:

@Sevarf2 thanks.
Interesting reaction: If i delete frome page code  <?= $searchEngine->renderResults() ?> string (beacause there is no reaction) and add <div id="se-results"></div> i'll get loaded the same page in the div.

I'm sorry but this is going outside this forum scope, I suggest you study php, these are basic issues.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Alkrav said:

@Sevarf2 thanks.

Not sure I fully understand what you're doing, but if you want to submit a search query with AJAX you need to post it to the same URL that you normally would post it to — if your search page is /search/, then that's where the AJAX query should go as well.

Note, though, that by default SearchEngine responds to GET requests, not POST requests, so that may be one reason why you're not getting the results you'd expect. Might want to switch to jQuery.get() or change the method from POST to GET in your jQuery.ajax() call.

Just for the record, SearchEngine has a built-in way to render results as JSON. This is what I typically use for AJAX search features. JSON data is pretty easy to handle with JS, and this way I'm not stuck with whatever markup the search results list on the regular ("full") page is using. When you asked if "Is it possible to realize showing results with AJAX like on the pics", the short answer is "it sure is" — but you'll have to create the markup and the JS parts yourself, since SE doesn't provide those out of the box ?

• Thanks 1

Thank you for useful answer.  And i understood that you gave base functions for extended using. And logically i tried to implement live search with stadart jQuery function + your module and its must give waited result, but don't.

Thanks for the tip about GET, and i tried and it worked not good and only if i placed result php-string from module and separately <div id="se-results"></div>.
Sorry for my newbie mistakes.

2 hours ago, Alkrav said:

Thank you for useful answer.  And i understood that you gave base functions for extended using. And logically i tried to implement live search with stadart jQuery function + your module and its must give waited result, but don't.

Thanks for the tip about GET, and i tried and it worked not good and only if i placed result php-string from module and separately <div id="se-results"></div>.
Sorry for my newbie mistakes.

I must admit that I can't understand all of this. Are you still having problems with the AJAX search feature?

If so, it would be helpful to see a bit of code, to see what you're actually doing. Perhaps you could post your search template code and the JavaScript part via https://gist.github.com/ or something?

On 6/9/2020 at 9:32 AM, xportde said:

I have a question concerning the savePageIndex-Hook: It works perfectly on saving a single page, but not, when I use the "Index pages now"-function in module settings page. How could I achieve this?

I am also really interested in this concern (and have not found an answer yet). Is it possible to have savePageIndex hooks run on a manual index rebuild? Would be awesome!

Sorry @snck and @xportde, looks like I completely missed this question. Just to be clear, you mean the ___savedPageIndex() method?

Running this when the entire index is being rebuilt should be doable, but it looks like I'll have to move a few bits and pieces to another class. I'll take a closer look at this — hopefully later today, or perhaps tomorrow.

• Like 1