This is related to the Wireframe::page() static utility method (https://wireframe-framework.com/docs/static-utility-methods/) but not specifically covered in the docs, I think. This is also one of the things I struggled trying to explain briefly in the changelog 🙂

The general idea is that since Wireframe works through the Alternate Template Filename setting of templates, in earlier versions you couldn't do things like $pages->get(1234)->setLayout(null)->render() and expect the output to come from a Wireframe view UNLESS the Alternate Template Filename for the template this page uses had the alt filename pointing to a Wireframe bootstrap file (i.e. /site/templates/wireframe.php).

After this update the syntax mentioned above will — in most cases at least — work right out of the box. And even in cases where it won't work (such as when you're fetching data from ProcessWire via a command-line script), Wireframe::page(1234)->setLayout(null)->render() will almost certainly work.

Typical use case for me are pages that are not supposed to be directly accessible, like a contact page that lives under a shared "bucket" (e.g. /data/contacts/lastname-firstname/) and is only ever made visible when rendered as part of another page's markup. If I only need to output a few fields from the page I can do that directly in the view file for the containing page, but if I need to reuse this data all over the site, I prefer to define a view file for the contact (e.g. /site/templates/views/contact/embed.php) and render it using that:

<!-- some page that lists contacts -->

<?php foreach ($page->contacts as $contact): ?>
    <?= $contact->setLayout(null)->setView('embed')->render() ?>
<?php endforeach; ?>

Hope this makes more sense 🙂

• Like 3

Ehy @teppo I'm really digging Wireframe and I really think that it's a brilliant work. Thank you also for mentioning my old TemplateEngineBlade module in the list of alternatives.

I'm currently restyling one of my websites and I decided to use Wireframe for the purpose. Everything is going great so far! I also decided to create a renderer module that uses the Blade template engine, because I don't like Twig that much. Check it out https://github.com/mauricius/WireframeRendererBlade

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi @teppo

First I have to say: WOW! I took another look at your module because I got again frustrated with my setup and I wanted to build something on my own. Luckily I remembered your module and came back to the docs before developing something on my own 🙂 

• Thx for the docs, they are great! Some suggestions:
    • It would be great to have < prev | next > links on each page at the bottom. I almost missed all the other great pages when reaching the bottom of https://wireframe-framework.com/docs/ (the menu is not visible in the sidebar on such long pages)
    • It would be great to have a simple hello-world walkthrough for setting up a custom wireframe template (instead of providing a full-blown site profile). It's always easier to understand something if you start from scratch than finding your way around several files not knowing which pieces came before and after another.

And then something more advanced and more important: I think it would be great to get a little more (or different) control over where Wireframe does look for files. I read about the config settings, but IMHO they are a little limiting. As far as I understood one can define a path for every type that Wireframe is based on (views, controllers, components, etc). And as far as I understood it is possible for components to define custom view files via Wireframe::component('foo')::setView('bar'); Is that correct?

The problem with that approach is that it is not possible to load components from outside of the wireframe folder structure. That's a quite big deal, because if that were possible, we could ship custom components/views/partials (I'm planning on working on styles using RockLESS) directly within our modules and that would just be awesome! Take this example:

module RockSearch
lives in /site/modules/RockSearch
 |- Wireframe
 |  |- js
 |  |  '- search.js
 |  |- less
 |  |  '- searchform.less
 |  '- partials
 |     '- searchform.php
 '- RockSearch.module.php

What if we had a new Wireframe type called "package"? This could be included in any Wireframe layout like this:

<?php
$css = RockLESS::css([
  $packages->RockSearch->less->searchform.less,
  $packages->MyGreatModule->less->style1.less,
]);
?>
<html>
  <head>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?= $css ?>">
    <?= $packages->RockSEO->partials->meta() ?>
  </head>
  <body>
    <section><?= $partials->header() ?></section>
    <section><?= $packages->RockSearch->partials->searchform() ?></section>
  </body>
</html>

Finally we'd only need to tell Wireframe about the packages:

$config->wireframe = [
  'packages' => [
    'RockSearch' => $config->paths->siteModules."RockSearch",
    'RockSEO' => $config->paths->siteModules."RockSEO",
  ],
];

// or something like this
Wireframe::addPackage($config->paths->siteModules."RockSearch");

This would finally bring some standards to the ProcessWire frontend which would make a huge difference regarding reusability! If we found a bug in RockSearch, we could directly fix it in the modules partials which would make it instantly available to all projects using it after a simple modules update!

Thx for your great work again! What do you think?

PS: Defining different views/partials for RockSearch should also be possible making it easy to support different frameworks or framework versions, eg $packages->RockSearch->partials->uikit3() or ->bootstrap4() etc.

PPS: I didn't quite get where the differences between using controllers+views or components+views/partials are?!

• Like 2

First I have to say: WOW! I took another look at your module because I got again frustrated with my setup and I wanted to build something on my own. Luckily I remembered your module and came back to the docs before developing something on my own 🙂 

🙇‍♂️

It would be great to have < prev | next > links on each page at the bottom. I almost missed all the other great pages when reaching the bottom of https://wireframe-framework.com/docs/ (the menu is not visible in the sidebar on such long pages)

Makes sense. I've added this to my todo list, will take care of it soon.

It would be great to have a simple hello-world walkthrough for setting up a custom wireframe template (instead of providing a full-blown site profile). It's always easier to understand something if you start from scratch than finding your way around several files not knowing which pieces came before and after another.

Again, makes sense. I'm personally not a huge fan of tutorials — it's just not my thing. I prefer to learn by finding a project to work on, or alternatively by digging into existing implementations. Probably explains why there's no tutorial available for Wireframe either.

Another item on my todo list 🙂

As far as I understood one can define a path for every type that Wireframe is based on (views, controllers, components, etc). And as far as I understood it is possible for components to define custom view files via Wireframe::component('foo')::setView('bar'); Is that correct?

Yes. On a very minor note the API for redefining component view would look like Wireframe::component('foo')->setView('bar'). Also: I typically choose the view in the component, i.e. the constructor picks the most suitable view based on the params it received. Both approaches are fine though, depends on the context! 🙂

The problem with that approach is that it is not possible to load components from outside of the wireframe folder structure. That's a quite big deal, because if that were possible, we could ship custom components/views/partials (I'm planning on working on styles using RockLESS) directly within our modules and that would just be awesome! [...]

What if we had a new Wireframe type called "package"? This could be included in any Wireframe layout like this:

Interesting idea! I can definitely see value in this, but I'd still like to give it a bit more thought. It's easy to add features, but hard to remove (or significantly alter) them, so I prefer not to rush things 🙂

Out of interest, how do you see this comparing to Markup modules using render method(s)? For an example:

<!-- RockSearch with partial -->

<!-- SearchEngine -->
<section><?= $modules->SearchEngine->renderForm() ?></section>

One benefit would be that if I wanted to use the default search form as a starting point and start building on top of that, I could just copy the file to local partials directory and change the reference in the layout. This would, obviously, mean no more easy updates, so it's a double edged sword.

In SearchEngine I decided to go with a set of interconnected render methods, each tasked with some specific part of the markup. I felt that this provided the best balance between reusability and customization: one can get pretty far by modifying config settings, but if that isn't enough, it's also possible to make more drastic changes using hooks.

All in all I really like the idea, but it will require a bit more thought and probably some experimenting to strike the perfect balance 🙂

PPS: I didn't quite get where the differences between using controllers+views or components+views/partials are?!

Hopefully I'm answering the right question:

• Controllers and views are specific to a single template. Controllers' job is to accept arguments, process data, and pass processed data to the View layer. View — which consists of layout(s), view files, and partials — is there to output said data, so it should be as "dumb" as possible. View doesn't need to know anything about what's going on behind the scenes.
  • Partials were originally just "include files" without the ability to accept params or a dedicated approach for processing data. They were great when you had a relatively static block you wanted to repeat in multiple templates, but if you wanted to pass them params, you'd have to define them in the parent context, etc.
  • Components were added to fill this void. There's always a class that can accept arguments and process data, and usually there's at least one view file meant to render output. (Components can also render output directly by implementing the render() method, or they might not produce any markup at all, so technically component views are optional.)

... and then things changed a bit when partials also got the ability to accept params. Now the biggest difference between components and partials is the class: I prefer not to mix code with markup, which means that if I need a reusable "thing" that needs to, say, fetch data from an API, it's a component. On the other hand if I just need to reuse a block of HTML and perhaps iterate/output some variables in there, most of the time I go with a partial.

In my mind controllers + views (and layout(s)) are the typical way to use Wireframe. Components are handy when you need an element that should be reusable across multiple templates. I guess they're sort of "template-agnostic miniature controller + view" bundles 🙂

Note: how you actually use Wireframe may vary. Your site might not have any controllers, relying on components instead. Or you could produce all the markup in the layout and have no other files (apart from the bootstrap file). What I've described above is just the way I prefer to do things 👌

• Like 3

Hi Teppo,

thx for your thoughts! 🙂

19 hours ago, teppo said:

Out of interest, how do you see this comparing to Markup modules using render method(s)? For an example:

<!-- RockSearch with partial -->

<!-- SearchEngine -->
<section><?= $modules->SearchEngine->renderForm() ?></section>

Interesting question. I'll try to brainstorm some answers/questions and refer to the two solutions as packages- and modules-route:

• Modules could only support one markup (how would you ship markup for uikit/bootstrap/tailwind/... ? Or you would need to define renderFormUikit(), renderFormBootstrap().
  • Modules would have markup code in module code (ugly string concats etc) or would need to implement $files->render(...).
  • Related to the previous point: Render files in module-route could have any name, live in any folder, etc - there's no standard, wheras using the packages route a module could have /partials or /views folder and everybody familiar with Wireframe would get what's going on
  • Everybody not familiar would not get what's going on or could maybe even not use it 😐 
  • Maybe it would add more overhead then necessary?! Your modules syntax seems very clear to me!
  • I guess the request came with some background in my mind: I wanted to have packages with PHP (logic + view) code, LESS for style and JS for frontend. For example the searchForm might need some JS to work that you need to add to your theme. But that would also be easy to add to the layout with one single include, so that would also be no real argument for the packages route 🙂 
  • Packages would have the same context as all Wireframe view files (including other partials etc; not sure if that makes sense though, because packages should work as-is (standalone) without any theme related partials...).

I think I have to just try both approaches on my current project and report back my findings 🙂 

19 hours ago, teppo said:

One benefit would be that if I wanted to use the default search form as a starting point and start building on top of that, I could just copy the file to local partials directory and change the reference in the layout. This would, obviously, mean no more easy updates, so it's a double edged sword.

I really want to avoid copying files over to an extra place that breaks updates! 🙂 

• Like 1