[FieldTypeSelector] OR groups

Torsten Baldes

Hi, I'm using the core module FieldTypeSelector (like Lister) to be able to create custom lists of pages on my pages. e.g. show me pages with template=foo, somevalue=bar and someothervalue=foobar.

Is there a way to use OR groups (https://processwire.com/docs/selectors/#or-groups) with FieldTypeSelector? This way I could build a list of pages which have somevalue=bar OR someothervalue=foobar
As a selector this would look like this: template=foo, (somevalue=bar), (someothervalue=foobar)

Is this possible? I know I could insert this as a _custom selector, but this would kind of defeat the purpose of FieldTypeSelector.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Torsten Baldes said:

I know I could insert this as a _custom selector, but this would kind of defeat the purpose of FieldTypeSelector.

I'm not sure I understand. Are your client's editors using this to make selections? Or you (= the developer)? If the latter, why not use custom selector with something like title%=axa|client_name%=sbb ?

15 hours ago, dragan said:

I'm not sure I understand. Are your client's editors using this to make selections? Or you (= the developer)? If the latter, why not use custom selector with something like title%=axa|client_name%=sbb ?

Most of the time other users/editors use this Field to "generate" a selection of posts/pages which are applicable for the topic of the current post. Something like "If you liked this post, then these posts could also be interesting to you". 

@Torsten Baldes, there has been an @todo note about adding OR-group support to InputfieldSelector since 2016.

@todo add support for "custom: OR-group" option (https://processwire.com/talk/topic/13116-or-selecters-for-different-fields/)

Seeing as Ryan has been doing some work on InputfieldSelector recently it might be timely to open a request for this in the requests repo to bring it back to his attention. ?

• Like 3

Ah, the or groups selector post ?

We really needed this a few years ago. Unfortunately Ryan did not manage to implement this. No hard feelings though since this is not an easy task. But I do believe it should be developed since this is a big USP over other rule builders. ProcessWire can really shine with these kind of data structures. 

I eventually created a Process module which created pages has a sort of multiplier field of InputfieldSelector. The client could scope the main selector and add groups by adding more selectors.

- Main Selector template=foo (InputfieldSelector)
|-- Selector 1 (OR) somevalue=bar (repeatable field with InputfieldSelector)
|-- Selector 2 (OR) someothervalue=foobar (etc)

This fields eventually resolved in: "template=foo, (somevalue=bar), (someothervalue=foobar)". I created another Process Module we rendered these selectors in a list and created urls (using the great ProcessPageListerUrls). This might feel like overkill, but the client wanted to query complex selectors.

• Like 3

Moderator note: this thread is about a core feature, so I'm moving it to the General Support area of the forum. Modules/Plugins area is intended for dedicated support threads of third party modules. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, Robin S said:

@Torsten Baldes, there has been an @todo note about adding OR-group support to InputfieldSelector since 2016.

Seeing as Ryan has been doing some work on InputfieldSelector recently it might be timely to open a request for this in the requests repo to bring it back to his attention. ?

Thanks! I just posted a feature request.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, Robin S said:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/13116-or-selecters-for-different-fields/

Unfortunately the thread is not accessible for everybody. Why?

You do not have permission to view this content.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:57 AM, Torsten Baldes said:

Thanks! I just posted a feature request.

... which could be found here: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-requests/issues/317
For everyone who is interested in this function. Please vote or add a comment.