schwarzdesign

Using numReferences in selectors?

ProcessWire added the numReferences property in 3.0.107, which returns the count of all pages having a reference to the page object. However, apparently it's not possible to use this property inside a selector. I'm trying to find all pages that are referenced at least once:

$pages->find('template=service, numReferences>0');

This throws an error: "Field does not exist: numReferences".

Is there another way to filter by the number of references? Of course, I could manually filter the results of the find query, but that feels overly complicated. Ideally, I would also like to filter the number of references from a specific field; that is, find all pages that are referenced at least once in one specific page reference field.

Is there a way to do this? I guess supporting numReferences in selectors would be a feature request - if so, is it feasible?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, schwarzdesign said:

I'm trying to find all pages that are referenced at least once

But referenced to what? You use $pages->find(), not $page->numReferences.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, schwarzdesign said:

However, apparently it's not possible to use this property inside a selector.

That's because ultimately the references depend on the execution of the FieldtypePage::findReferences() method. This method has to be called for each page you want to get or count the references to. And so the number of references is not a simple value in the database that you can query in a $pages->find() selector the way a field value is.

Enabling selectors that query or sort by the number of references is one of the motivations behind the Connect Page Fields module. If you use this module to create a two-way relationship between Page Reference fields then it's easy to write the selector you want. Note that you can set the visibility of a Page Reference field to hidden if you don't need to see it in Page Edit but only want to query it in selectors.

• Like 5

@dragan Referenced to the page that is being searched. I think Robin's explanation is pretty accurate. For example, I have five service pages, but only three of them are referenced from different pages (in a page reference field). I want to write a query that will retrieve those three services; the problem here is that numReferences is not a real field, but a computed property.

@Robin S Thanks for the explanation! That's what I assumed - I guess it would be possible with a subquery, but I agree that the incurred performance hit would make it a bad tradeoff for selectors. Your module looks ingenious, I'll try it out for my usecase!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By pwFoo
      I played with the Selectors object and would like to use it for a special use case...
      That is a custom Selectors object with dummy data converted to an php array to see the structure (Selectors object is a WireArray with "fields" added)
      Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [field] => seg1 [value] => val1 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) [1] => Array ( [field] => seg2 [value] => val2 [not] => [group] => [quote] => [forceMatch] => ) ) )  
      But instead of "seg1" the field name is "field" with value "seg1" (= my field name).

So I can't search the Selectors WireArray (= custom WireArray with added Selectors objects) with PW "find('seg1=val1')", Is there a way to search with "find()" or build a simple wrapper to make the elements searchable / filterable with find()?
    • By celfred
      Hello,
      I'm struggling with this : a 'group' field of 'Page' type.
      The parent of selectable pages is '/groups', the template is 'group', and a member can create some groups in the /groups tree. I would like this user to see only the groups he or she has created so in my 'Find selector' in the backend, I would like to use :

template=group, created_users_id=$user->id But that doesn't seem to work... I still get the list of all available groups in the /groups tree.
      Any idea ?
      I had a feeling I had already seen that before (something like $user->id must be replaced by users_id or something, but I can't find anything in the Forums... and all my tests keep failing...
    • By creativejay
      Apologies if this has been covered. I tried a search but didn't hit the usecase I'm after.
      I currently have category pages listing their children products. Someone asked me to put a product in multiple categories, so I created a Page Reference field called prod_othercategories which lets a user pick multiple product category pages.
      When I try to output a list of products for a category page, I came around to the following selector:
      $pages->find("prod_othercategories|parent=$page, template=prod_series, sort=title, prod_status_pages!=1554|1559|1560|4242"); Only the first selector item is giving me trouble, but I'm including the entire string in case something is conflicting and I'm not realizing it.
      The output is currently only outputting matches for "parent" and ignoring prod_othercategories. I tried listing parent first in the selector but it had no effect.
      Appreciate if someone could help me with this! Thanks!
    • By celfred
      Hello !
      I have somehting I don't understand here... Here's my code :
      $allPlayers = $pages->find("parent.name=players, team=$selectedTeam"); $allTrains = $allPlayers->find("template=event, task.name~=ut-action, refPage!='', date>=$startDate, date<=$endDate, sort=refPage, sort=date"); bd('$allTrains:'.$allTrains->count()); // DISPLAYS 0 ???? foreach($allPlayers as $p) { $allTrainings = $p->find("template=event, task.name~=ut-action, refPage!='', date>=$startDate, date<=$endDate, sort=refPage, sort=date"); $test += $allTrainings->count(); } bd('$test:'.$test); // DISPLAYS 883 pages (normal) As you can read from my comments, I have no idea why my first $allTrains stays at 0 while the second request actually finds the corresponding pages. If someone could explain I'd appreciate a lot. I have been struggling with this for hours now... For your information, my pages having template 'event' are in a subtree like so :
      - player 01
        - history-1
          - event 01
         - event 02
         - event ...
        - history-2
          - event 01
          - event ...
      - player 02
        - history-1
          - event 01
         - event 02
         - event ...
        - history-2
          - event 01
          - event ...
      - player ...
        - history-1
          - event 01
         - event 02
         - event ...
        - history-2
          - event 01
          - event ...

Thanks in advance. (sorry for my preceding 'tree' which doesn't look like much. I need to find a way to output this better 😉 )
    • By Eunico Cornelius
      I am trying to filter my $pages with a find($selector method). 
      $matches = $pages->find($selector); and this is an example of what my selector looks like
      $selector = "include=all, title|body~=$q, limit=50"; In this case, it only searches according to the matching exact words.
      For example:we search="art", the result="art times","these art",....
      Is there any way to search based on the alphabet?
      For example: we search="ab", the result="absolutely correct","abstract art",....