Sign in to follow this  
Edison

Markup Regions in Hooks

I am using Markup Regions in Templates and they are awesome 😀. I would like to use them also in Hooks/Modules, but here I am having some troubles.🤔

When placed in a Template File this simple snippet works perfectly. It pre-pends and combines with the main header section. 

<header id="header" pw-prepend><div><p>I enjoy ProcessWire!</p></div></header>

The same snippet in Page::render or TemplateFile::render hooks does not work as expected. It renders but without pre-pending and combining to the header. In the html source, pw-prepend directive remains visibile, like if Processwire had not processed the markup region. May be these two events are fired too late to take benefit of markup regions? Do I need to use a different hook ?

wire()->addHookAfter('Page::render', function($event) { $event->return .= $out }

wire()->addHookAfter('TemplateFile::render', function($event) { $event->return .= $out }

It would be nice to find some examples documenting how to use markup regions inside hooks/modules.

TemplateFile::render does seem to be a good place to tweak the markup right before it goes into the MarkupRegions class. Is that one not working?

Here is where the template is rendered: https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/modules/PageRender.module#L514

Here is where the markup regions are populated: https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/modules/PageRender.module#L524

• Like 3

Thank Elabx, that's very helpful. I will make further trials with markup regions in hooks, but as I was a bit in a hurry I solved it the old way 😉 ... making a str_replace on $event-return. 

wire()->addHookAfter('Page::render', function($event) {
	$event->return = str_replace('<header>', '<header>' . $this->banner->markup(), $event->return) . $this->banner->assets();
});

• Like 1