Windows Terminal

Jonathan Lahijani

Serious question: were tabs, colors, and splittable windows the kicker here, or did I miss something important?

That sounds... well, pretty basic, to be honest. No OS shaming intent here, just not sure if I've understood what this is all about. And, for the record, I'm a huge fan of VSCode – Microsoft has been building some really awesome products in recent years ?

3 hours ago, teppo said:

Serious question: were tabs, colors, and splittable windows the kicker here, or did I miss something important?

Well, a real linux kernel inside windows... And proper copy&paste. And having one single config json sounds awesome. Hope that principle will find its way to VSCode, then it would finally be really easy to share your dev environment across multiple machines ? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bernhard said:

Well, a real linux kernel inside windows... And proper copy&paste. And having one single config json sounds awesome. Hope that principle will find its way to VSCode, then it would finally be really easy to share your dev environment across multiple machines ? 

Right – WSL 2 is indeed an awesome concept. Kind of like having a real Linux box to work with (kidding ?)

When it comes to the terminal app, I guess it's just the fact that it's a desperately needed upgrade that makes folks happy. Good for them – and good for me I guess, if I ever have to touch a Windows machine again. Never say never, and so on and so forth ?

• Like 1

There is PlayOnLinux which seems to support Adobe pretty well on some distributions.

I tried it but was never successfull on Ubuntu, while others on Manjaro/Arch had more success.

I'm in the happy situation that I only need XD and nothing else. If ever.

I miss it on Linux but... it's not that kind of a show-stopper at all.

But yes... having Adobe support on Linux would be really nice. To be honest... it doesn't work that well on Windows too. At least XD crashes at least 10x a day on my Windows 10 setup while doing only minor stuff in it.

Life after Adobe - highly recommend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonathan Lahijani said:

One big reason: Adobe CC doesn't run on Linux ?

• MS Office
  • Fusion360

Besides that I was quite happy with Ubuntu on my Carbon X1, but I don't want to switch OS all the time and Office is just a must have for me ? 

On 6/25/2019 at 4:53 PM, wbmnfktr said:

ye.thumb.png.4cc3f6ecb10e1d1314384a3955c576c4.png

There is no need to run Windows or WSL(2).

Back on Linux with my beloved X1 and the Ubuntu i3 setup. Amazing what you can accomplish when your setup is set up right. Totally weird.

I follow Linux desktop trends quite a bit. This post has got me thinking if it's time for Linux on the desktop for me despite MS innovations. I gave it a bit of thought and I think I can make it happen, even if I have to run Adobe CS through a VM.

I'm much more comfortable with the idea now that I've been using WSL funny enough (also since I install Linux for customers every now and then... Ubuntu, RHEL, CENTOS, Suse). 

I'm thinking Arch w/ i3, VSCode, ranger and a bunch of text user interface apps, bash scripts, etc. Minimalism as much as possible, kind of like ProcessWire.

The last couple of days I re-invented the wheel (tried a lot of things, distros and setups) and there are a few things to consider when switching.

While Arch (and all its flavours) has super new software packages, is/has a rolling release and a super helpful community (like ProcessWire) you may end in a dead-end in some case, for example: software packages from outside of the Linux community. There are lots and lots of AUR packages that offer things like Prepros, ScreamingFrog and Slack but they all feel a bit off and when there is an update it takes quite a while to build them.

Ubuntu on the other hand is either LTS or a major version and software packages are sometimes a bit outdated (not as bad as on Debian but still) besides those packages third-party packages like those mentioned above are more often more reliable, more stable and faster to update. And to be honest... there are way more .deb files out there than AUR builds. And there is also support for Snap and Flatpak which is bloat but fine for some people. ? 

I tried Manjaro i3-gaps (community supported) and Regolilth (Ubuntu-based with i3-based WM) the last couple of days but for now I'm back on Ubuntu with i3. It feels way more solid and stable. And as my Ubuntu has Gnome too I can easily switch to it for the case I want to move windows around in a different way. ? 

The next thing you have to think about is the time to set everything up.

Keybindings for i3, ranger, mutt, feh, vim whatever and those in VS Code. At least on a german keyboard those app-related keyboard shortcuts don't work out ot the box. Setting up a LAMP-environment on Ubuntu is done within 10 minutes while it takes way more time and effort on Arch (Manjaro).

The benefits of this invest is huge nonetheless. As soon as you feel comfortable with i3 and switch to Windows or Gnome you feel kind of lost as you have to use the mouse for almost everything. Which is weird then.

For now I'd recommend to install Ubuntu with Gnome/KDE for the inital setup and i3 later on.

As soon as I'm ready with the new setup I will push a repo to Github with all my dotfiles and packages/apps I use.

Update: a big issue as for now is font-rendering on Linux. Be careful with this as even webfonts will be displayed totally different than on Windows or Mac.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2019 at 10:36 AM, bernhard said:
  • MS Office
  • Fusion360

Besides that I was quite happy with Ubuntu on my Carbon X1, but I don't want to switch OS all the time and Office is just a must have for me ? 

In my current job we don't actually use MS Office, and it has never been a real issue. Google's cloud apps are quite good (even better than MS ones in some regards), LibreOffice works for a lot of stuff, etc. The last time I did use MS Office it was actually the cloud based version of O365, due to various issues with desktop MS apps on macOS. My understanding is that this should work for Linux users as well?

Anyway, there are two things keeping me firmly in the Mac camp: the UX (which includes both hardware and software), and the app support. Latter has been particularly so for design stuff – Photoshop, Sketch, XD, etc. None of those (to my best knowledge) work on Linux, at least not without some sort of emulator or virtual machine (which imho would pretty much defeat the purpose of running Linux in the first place).

• Like 3

On 7/2/2019 at 8:38 PM, teppo said:

In my current job we don't actually use MS Office, and it has never been a real issue. Google's cloud apps are quite good (even better than MS ones in some regards), LibreOffice works for a lot of stuff, etc. The last time I did use MS Office it was actually the cloud based version of O365, due to various issues with desktop MS apps on macOS. My understanding is that this should work for Linux users as well?

I have had MS Office 365 the last couple of years just for the storage of 1TB which turned out to be not more than 6GB which is super comfortable to use on Google's Drive option - even for free accounts. I made the switch to Google One in the last weeks to move company data there and well... now we pay 20 EUR/year instead of ~60 EUR/year and due to "welcome vouchers" can use everything vom G Suite as well for at least the next 2 years - which is totally fine. ? 

MS Office Online works pretty well on Linux but still not as good as the installed versions of Word, Excel and every other app provided by Microsoft. No matter which OS you use.

Libre and Google Drive can handle UTF8 and everything Calc/Excel-related way better than Microsoft itself. Strange but true. Handling data within Libre or Google is way more easy than in any MS product out there. Even clients like the simplicity of it.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:38 PM, teppo said:

Photoshop, Sketch, XD

To be honest... I miss XD a bit... but for now... I'm almost as fast in prototyping in HTML/CSS as in XD. Weird but it works and it's way more closer to the final result as in XD. I never used Sketch but XD is nice. My Surface still runs Windows 10 so if I ever feel the need of using any Adobe product, I can switch cables and use another device for it.

For now... the switch to I3WM and some modifications (aaaaaaaa lot!) later I feel way more productive than all months and projects before.

• Like 3