One Click ProcessWire in Laragon

wbmnfktr

I know from a trusted source that some of you use Laragon as their prefered Windows DEV solution.

Due to a recent conversation I noticed that there might be a nice little feature some of you may not know about.

Laragon offers the Quick app option with some tools already predefined. In order to have ProcessWire there as well you just have to add one (two with a comment) line to your Laragon configuration.

# ProcessWire
ProcessWire=composer create-project processwire/processwire %s

1965190218_2019-06-1319_01_55.thumb.png.69fac35fca495242eb773fc77b9a88e2.png

Just in case you want to start your next project a little bit faster.

• Like 8

Is there a reason why you guys use Laragon instead of WSL?  I used WampServer for years, but like Laragon, its using the Windows version of Apache, MySQL and PHP.  While that works, I feel the Windows versions of those will always be second class.  Add in things like node and Windows' character limits for file paths (which I think has now been resolved) and it gets more dicey.  Also, it's probably slower.

I don't use a Mac or Linux, so when WSL came out, Microsoft basically fixed a huge problem for people like us (Windows users doing non-Windows development... that is, LAMP stuff).

Why not just use WSL?  You get rsync and all the Linux utilities that I don't know how I lived without.

There's a little bit of initial setup, but I've boiled that down into 10 minutes with a set of commands that'll make ProcessWire run perfectly.

• Like 1

In contrast to you and several others here my focus is more towards frontend development, some technical SEO stuff and only a few bits of real programming. Some hooks, some minor module stuff but nothing fancy. So I looked for something that is super easy to use with everything I need for my jobs. 

I used and tested a lot of tools but at the end I stayed with Laragon as it's doing exactly what I need. In the last few days I started to use PW Kickstart from @bernhard which adds another layer of comfort to my workflow.

As it works as expected I feel no need to change my setup.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jonathan Lahijani said:

Is there a reason why you guys use Laragon instead of WSL?

Because it brings a lot of tools out of the box and makes everything really simple:

• New project --> create a new folder and klick reload
  • MySQL --> HeidiSQL on board
  • Testing E-Mails --> Mailcatcher on board
  • Share your current work with a client --> ngrok on board

But yes, sometimes it would be great to have a "real" linux machine for development. I've never tried WSL, but I've tried devilbox and came back to laragon because of its simplicity.

• Like 2

Is there a reason why you guys use Laragon instead of WSL?

I tried a lot of them before: Ampps, EasyPHP, Fenix, HFS, UniForm, USB, Laragon, UWamp, Wamp and ZWamp.
For me Laragon came definitely out as the best in:

1) easy interface
2) simple switching between php versions
3) auto virtual hosts
4) speed
5) stability

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, Jonathan Lahijani said:

Why not just use WSL?  You get rsync and all the Linux utilities that I don't know how I lived without.

I use WSL all the time, but my local server is still on Windows. It used to be XAMPP, but now I move to Laragon. One of the beauties of Laragon is that you can easilly swith PHP, Apache, MySQL and everything else versions almost instantly. As far as I know from my attempts to set everything up on Linuх, it is not that that easy there (though, surely, possible). I have not found any configuration for Linux that would be nearly that easy. Docker based Laradock was the closest, but it still required some additional docker skills, was not as fast and more complicated. And docker sucks badly on WSL)))

• Like 1