[Solved] Adding Multiple pages to Page field via API from select field

louisstephens

Going through my long quest to get better with ajax and utilizing the api, I have hit yet another roadblock. I currently have a form with an image field (thanks to flydev for getting that sorted), "title" text input, and a select field set to multiple. In my ajax call, I added in:

tags = $("#select-tags").val();
form_data.append('tags', tags);

$.ajax({
	type: 'POST',
	data: form_data,
	contentType: false,
	processData: false,
	url: '/ajax/upload-preview/',
	success: function(data) {
		console.log("Woo");
	},
	error: function(xhr, ajaxOptions, thrownError) {
		alert(xhr.responseText);
	}
});

And in the ajax template: 

$tags = $sanitizer->text($_POST['tags']);
$image = $sanitizer->text($_POST['image']);
$p = new Page();
$p->template = "preview";
$p->parent = $pages->get("/previews/");
$p->name = $title;
$p->title = $title;
$p->tags = $tags;
$p->save();

If I select a "tag" from the select input and submit, it does indeed add it to the Page Reference field in the backend. However, this does not work with an array being passed to it of multiple options.

47858297_ScreenShot2019-06-12at10_31_42AM.png.f3e6677b57cf8986202249a05a23b06b.png

So it does appear that my ajax call is trying to submit multiple options, but I am really just unsure how to get these two added in. I saw in other forums posts of add($page) and even add(array()). Do I need to handle this js array differently or do  I need to foreach through the $tags to add it like:

foreach($tags as $tag) {
        $p->tags->add($tag);
        $p->save();
    }

I tried this approach, but apparently I am still missing something.

Edit:

I was doing some tweaking, and I know I can split the js array out like:

for (i = 0, len = tags.length; i < len; i++) {
	console.log(tags[i]);
}

However, I am not sure then how to handle the POST in php if I were to split it out.

Edited by louisstephens
finally figured it out

4 hours ago, louisstephens said:

$tags = $sanitizer->text($_POST['tags']);

My guess is that this might be the culprit. If you submit multiple tags, that likely returns something like "array-2".

You might need to do something like this:

$rawTags = $input->post->tags;
$tags = array_map(
	function($tag) use($sanitizer) {
		return $sanitizer->text($tag);
	},
	is_array($rawTags) ? $rawTags : [$rawTags]
);

Thanks Bitpoet. I gave it a shot and I am getting: 

#0 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Selectors.php(460): ProcessWire\Selectors->create('hello', '', '')
#1 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Selectors.php(142): ProcessWire\Selectors->extractString('the-4th-of-july')
#2 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Selectors.php(128): ProcessWire\Selectors->setSelectorString('hello,the-4th-o...')
#3 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/PagesLoader.php(221): ProcessWire\Selectors->init('hello,the-4th-o...')
#4 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Pages.php(246): ProcessWire\PagesLoader->find('hello,the-4th-o...', Array)
#5 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(386): ProcessWire\Pages->___find('hello,the-4th-o...', Array)
#6 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/WireHooks.php(733): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___find', Array)
#7 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Pages), 'find', Array)
#8 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/PagesLoader.php(430): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('find', Array)
#9 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Pages.php(390): ProcessWire\PagesLoader->get('hello,the-4th-o...', Array)
#10 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypePage.module(700): ProcessWire\Pages->get('hello,the-4th-o...')
#11 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypePage.module(563): ProcessWire\FieldtypePage->sanitizeValuePageArray(Object(ProcessWire\Page), Object(ProcessWire\Field), Array)
#12 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Page.php(1072): ProcessWire\FieldtypePage->sanitizeValue(Object(ProcessWire\Page), Object(ProcessWire\Field), Array)
#13 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Page.php(932): ProcessWire\Page->setFieldValue('tags', Array, true)
#14 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Page.php(1825): ProcessWire\Page->set('tags', Array)
#15 /MAMP/htdocs/development/site/templates/ajax.php(64): ProcessWire\Page->__set('tags', Array)
#16 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/TemplateFile.php(287): require('/Volumes/ArtDep...')
#17 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\TemplateFile->___render()
#18 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/WireHooks.php(733): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___render', Array)
#19 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\TemplateFile), 'render', Array)
#20 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/modules/PageRender.module(514): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('render', Array)
#21 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\PageRender->___renderPage(Object(ProcessWire\HookEvent))
#22 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/WireHooks.php(733): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___renderPage', Array)
#23 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\PageRender), 'renderPage', Array)
#24 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/WireHooks.php(834): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('renderPage', Array)
#25 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Page), 'render', Array)
#26 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(206): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('render', Array)
#27 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\ProcessPageView->___execute(true)
#28 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/WireHooks.php(733): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___execute', Array)
#29 /MAMP/htdocs/development/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessPageView), 'execute', Array)
#30 /MAMP/htdocs/development/index.php(55): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('execute', Array)
#31 {main}

I guess I shouldnt be tryping to still pass $tags the same way I was with $p->tags = $tags? Sorry, I have never used array_map before so I wasnt sure of the desired output etc. I do appreciate the help

10 hours ago, louisstephens said:

I guess I shouldnt be tryping to still pass $tags the same way I was with $p->tags = $tags?

Yes, loop over $tags and call $page->tags->add() for each like in the snippet you posted. Of course, you can just call $sanitizer->text for every $tag inside the loop in your third code snippet and go without the array_map. array_map is just a function that calls the passed function for every entry in the array given to it and returns a new array with the results.

• Like 1

Thanks again @BitPoet, I moved everything out into a new template so I could just test out the page reference field, and for some reason this is still blowing up in my face. I dont get the error like before, but it doesnt seem like anything is working. I simplified my php to:

$tags = array_map(
	},
);

$p = $pages->get(1092);
$p->of(false);

foreach($tags as $tag) {
	$p->tags->add($tag);
	bdump($tag);
}
$p->save();

The bdump shows that $tag = "2018,2019" (which is what I selected from the options field on the frontend", but it does not seem like it is actually adding anything to the field in the backend. ?

14 minutes ago, louisstephens said:

The bdump shows that $tag = "2018,2019"

Are these page names or page ids? For $p->tags->add to work, anything numeric must be a valid page id. And, duh, I have to say sorry. I just took a look into PageArray.php and saw that you can actually pass an array of pages to PageArray::add and it will call itself recursively, thought the same rules apply then. If it looks numeric, it needs to be a page id.

Ah, they are indeed page names:

<select id="select_tags" name="select_tags" multiple="multiple">
	<?php $tags = $pages->find("template=tag"); ?>
    	<option value="">Select Your Tags</option>
    <?php foreach ($tags as $tag) : ?>
        <option value="<?= $tag->name; ?>"><?= $tag->title; ?></option>
	<?php endforeach; ?>
</select>

And my Tag structure is set up like:

Tags
-Years
-Months
--January
--February
--Etc

Sorry, I should have posted that earlier in my original post. So the url for the tag "2018" looks like "/tags/years/2018/" . I did change the output to be "ids" and then tried it out and it still isnt saving them. I really appreciate your help with this. If it is indeed recursive, I have no idea why " $p->tags->add($rawTags);" want work.

Well, a little bit of an update. I just saw in my logs that I am getting an exception: "Page 1102 is not valid for tags ( Page 1102 does not have required parent 1015)"..

I am wondering if my tag structure is messing up the Page field somehow as my select field on the front end is really only displaying:

<select id="select_tags" name="select_tags" multiple="multiple">
	<option value="">Select Your Tags</option>
	<option value="1102">2018</option>
	<option value="1104">2019</option>
	<option value="1105">January</option>
	<option value="1106">February</option>
	<option value="1109">March</option>
	<option value="1110">April</option>
	<option value="1111">May</option>
</select>

I "omitted" the "Years", "Months" etc as I have them set to the template "parent-tag" while the actual "2019, January" are set to the template "tags".. I tried the "fix" from the following, but that doesnt seem to solve the issue either. It is odd to me that I can select via the admin and everything works fine.

**Update**

Using

$p = $pages->get(1092);
$p->of(false);
bdump($rawTags);
$p->dev_test->add($rawTags); //created a new page field without a "parent", just set the template

This seems to add 1 page at a time now. However, it will not add multiple. I even tried to foreach through them to no avail.. Page fields obviously hate me today.

I don't mean to keep this post going too long, but I am at a complete loss here and have no clue what else to do:

tags = array_map(
	},
);

bdump($tags);
bdump($rawTags);

$p = $pages->get(1092);
$p->of(false);

foreach($tags as $tag) {
	echo $tag;
	$p->tags->add($tag); // add another page by id
}
$p->save();

The above will only add one item even though I am foreach'ing through the array and the array (in testing) has 2 items in it. It also only works when 1 item is selected. If I select 2 items from the options field, it will not add either of the items. Is there a fundamental piece I am missing here, or am I going about this the completely wrong way? I am at my wits end with this?

I did find 

so I tried 

$p = $pages->get(1092);
$p->of(false);
$p->dev_test->add(array($tags));
bdump($tags);
//add(array(1023,1026))
//bdump($Test->id);
$p->save();

It works if just input 1102,1103 directly into the array like ->add(array(1102,1103)) , but not by passing my array to it.

Well, I was really dumb here. All it took was me taking a break and coming back with some fresh eyes. After another failed attempt to get it working, I decided to bdump $rawTags and $tags and then it hit me. 

$rawTags bdump: (which were the select values posted by the form): "1102,1103,1104,1105"

$tags bdump (what BitPoet wrote me): array(1) 0 => "1102,1103,1104,1105"

I was essentially passing an array with 1 item with all the ids. After using

$tagsArray = explode(',', $rawTags);

I get: array(4) 0=>"1102"  1=>"1103" 2=>"1104" 3=>"1105" and then it succesfully works with ->add(array($tagsArray)); 

I appreciate everyone's help with this and patience. I can finally put this to bed.

• Like 1