Built With

Brian Scramlin

I have noticed that when using builtwith.com, ProcessWire does not show up in the stack. 

I wonder why that is? 

I don't know how many people utilize that site, but I often browse through it when I find an exceptional website or application, and I hate for people to miss the greatest CMS of all time! 

18 hours ago, Brian Scramlin said:

I have noticed that when using builtwith.com, ProcessWire does not show up in the stack. 

I wonder why that is? 

I don't know how many people utilize that site, but I often browse through it when I find an exceptional website or application, and I hate for people to miss the greatest CMS of all time! 

Short answer: ProcessWire differs from many other systems in that it doesn't really generate any markup, and as such there are not that many easy ways to tell that a site is running ProcessWire.

This is intentional. Letting everyone know what system you're running is usually fine (and it's a nice hat tip towards that system), but potentially you might also be tipping malicious visitors off on how to best attack your site. With ProcessWire it's easy to go into "stealth mode", so that potential attackers have absolutely no idea what system they're currently targeting.

As for builtwith.com, my initial guess would be that their algorithm primarily looks for the "generator" meta tag (or similar headers), or the text "Powered by ProcessWire". At least those seemed to be present on all the sites listed on their site under ProcessWire that I quickly browsed through. They may be looking for other indicators as well, but anything more than that can get a bit tedious.

The site mentioned above, isit.pw, gathers a number of clues and then estimates the likelihood of a site being powered by ProcessWire. A lot of times (probably most) it gets its estimate right, but then again it is relatively easy to fool ?

• Like 4