The New Mac Pro

Jonathan Lahijani

The price will definitely blow your socks off!!!

For affordability and power, you can't go wrong with the 2018 Mac mini. Don't believe all the hype about needing an egpu either unless you are running intense games in windows vms or doing hardcore video or 3d work in specific apps... the built in gpu on my Mac mini is by a very long way the least taxed component, most of the time it pretty much idles at under 5% utilisation.

Would you ever get one of these Mac Pro's @Jonathan Lahijani?

4 hours ago, Mikie said:

Would you ever get one of these Mac Pro's @Jonathan Lahijani?

Anyone would love to work on such a beast, the issue is – as you pointed out – that it is extremely overpriced so only a few will.
I'm on a 2105 MacBook Pro, which was pretty snappy with Sierra and now a little bit slowed down by Mojave but still perfectly usable for web development and graphic design. If I stick to HD only resolution (which I do...) then it is even ok for video editing and occasional 3D rendering works.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, szabesz said:

that it is extremely overpriced so only a few will.

It's pricy sure, but I don't think it's more pricy than other mac hardware given what you actually get. If you really need that kind of hardware it'll cost you a few thousand bucks elsewhere as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LostKobrakai said:

If you really need that kind of hardware it'll cost you a few thousand bucks elsewhere as well.

It is not as good looking as a Mac Pro, but one can get it for half the price: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/z840.html

Sure, it is not too fruitful to compare apples to bananas but still, as Apple products are generally overpriced (and probably other similar "professional grade" products from other makers too), macOS is the only thing I really stick to.

Edited by szabesz
typo fix

I like that new screen, but again now that the prices are out (1k extra for the stand ?) the lg 5k is looking affordable. Also if you do the math, you get the 5k monitor in the iMac 27” for way cheaper than market value.

What happened to all the talk for years of the upcoming “modular” Mac Pro? Does this live up to the hype? I didn’t see “modular” on the product page but I only skimmed through.

7 minutes ago, Mikie said:

What happened to all the talk for years of the upcoming “modular” Mac Pro? Does this live up to the hype? I didn’t see “modular” on the product page but I only skimmed through.

"Modular" is just a fancy word Apple used to say it's a normal tower design whereby the components can be upgraded and are not soldered in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Lahijani said:

"Modular" is just a fancy word Apple used to say it's a normal tower design whereby the components can be upgraded and are not soldered in.

Yeah, but the hype behind it was that everything was swappable, including ssd drives and cpus. There are expansions slots but one of the main issues with the trashcan Mac Pro was that you couldn't upgrade cpus, I'll be interested to see if that's possible. 

I've actually been waiting for months for this announcement to decide what monitor to buy, I was hoping for an upgraded standalone 5k Thunderbolt Display from apple and they've dashed my hopes. Im as much an old school designer (lots of print work) as a dev and I am dying for retina desktop monitor. Should have got an iMac instead of the Mac mini last year!

29 minutes ago, Mikie said:

Yeah, but the hype behind it was that everything was swappable, including ssd drives and cpus. There are expansions slots but one of the main issues with the trashcan Mac Pro was that you couldn't upgrade cpus, I'll be interested to see if that's possible. 

You can upgrade every component in this new Mac Pro... it's basically a normal tower.  Also, you could upgrade the CPU in the trashcan... it was just difficult (my friend runs a Mac business and has upgraded them hundreds of times).

• Like 1

Feeling like Apple has finally addressed the 'Pro' market here but their definition or Pro is limited to video editors.

What about Pro Web Designers and Pro Developers? What about Pro photographers etc

There's many Pro industries out there that don't need those high specs and prices but would benefit from a modular and upgradeable machine.

Re their monitor, IMHO there's a big market for a display that it simply an upgrade to their old cinema display. Something max 4K and 27" with thunderbolt and a stand included would be ideal.

• Like 2

Because of pixel doubling, they really need to do a 27" 5k display.  That way there is no scaling blur.  4k for windows is fine though. 

New mac pro is too much for 99% of everyone.  I wish they would have done a tower for us.  I feel like the new mac pro is mac enterprise and they still need to do a pro.