Multisite Sharing

buster808

Hi. I want to create different websites for different clients using Multisite.

I want to be able to share say a dashboard across all the sites which will have the same content which I admin from one location.
Also the same for certain modules so I can admin from one place and they reflect across all the sites.

Is this possible using Multisite Option 1.

Thanks

That should work out pretty well... unless I'm missing an important detail here.

But... to be very honest... in order to accomplish and maintain such a setup you should be at least an intermediate ProcessWire-user with some kind of experience.

These multisite setups – either option 1 or 2 – bring their very own issues with them and you need to be able to handle those and the whole environment (the hosting and server setup) surrounding them.

I'd recommend to set up an instance of ProcessWire for each client just to be safe.
One mistake and all your clients would be down/see errors/or whatever.

You could repackage customizations in modules and distribute those to each client. That's intermediate/advanced stuff as well but way more secure on a larger scale.

If you just want to maintain different sites for yourself... play around and have fun. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have already set-up a couple of sites as separate instances but don't to want to end up in the situation of having to update every site as they grow if I want to make simple changes in the admin which will be the same for them all.

The best way as always is to dive in and create a test multisite environment. Thanks for your input.

I agree 100% to what @wbmnfktr said! If you want to get rid of repeated task jump into module development and build reusable components that you can share. Far better than putting many sites under one hood.

I know what I'm talking about - I've also done that once and regretted it lateron ?

Building modules also has the benefit of being more flexible (you don't end up in all sites having the 100% same setup) and last but not least: You can share them with the community ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a small amendment to the above: If you really want a single dashboard I‘d rather look into another processwire install using multi instance support to load the others for data access. This works for things on a single server. 

• Like 1

Excellent never really thought about using modules for repeated tasks but makes complete sense.
Module settings could be exported with any changes and installed on each instance.

I read about multi-instance support need to explore this further. So you could have one PW instance affecting lots of others.

Hope soon I'm creating modules for the community and giving out gold advice like this. Thanks appreciated everyone.

• Like 1