single line for very long text in admin page list

pwfans

One of my clients site is using textarea field for main information, title field is not necessary to use, so when he use texarea in "List of fields to display in the admin Page List", page tree show multiple line with long text.

How to force textarea content to single line ?, just like gmail inbox : subject is auto truncate with menu show up at right side when hovering, it would be supernice if admin tree page list can be done like that.

Thanks

I guess you could do a CSS solution: https://www.google.at/search?q=css+truncate+multiline+text&oq=css+truncate&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.4338j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Or you could also create custom labels via a hook:

// /site/ready.php
$wire->addHookAfter('Pages::saveReady(template=yourtemplate)', function(HookEvent $event) {
  $page = $event->arguments(0);
  $page->yourcustomlabel = $this->sanitizer->truncate($page->yourtextarea, 150);
});

• Like 2

@bernhard

- CSS solution doesn't go, it will need this module which doesn't work on my side , i already read and do what docs said but css just not loading.

- Hook solution work !,  i'm blank with coding in hook, is there anyway to auto truncate by detecting template and field? no need to re save the page ? if it's need to work that way, it's ok, it's already much better than default, thanks a lot for this hook solution ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, pwfans said:

Hook solution work !,  i'm blank with coding in hook, is there anyway to auto truncate by detecting template and field? no need to re save the page ? if it's need to work that way, it's ok, it's already much better than default, thanks a lot for this hook solution ?‍♂️

Don't know what you mean by auto truncate by template/field, but you have all information available in your hook:

// /site/ready.php
$wire->addHookAfter('Pages::saveReady', function(HookEvent $event) {
  $page = $event->arguments(0);
  $page->template; // yourtemplate
  $page->yourfield; // yourvalue

if($page->template == 'foo') $page->bar = 'yournewvalue';
});

You need to save all existing pages. That's easy using TracyDebugger + Console:

$pages = $pages->find('yourselector');
$all = $pages->count();
foreach($pages as $i=>$p) {
  l("saving page $i/$all id $p");
  $p->save();
}

oq0Nz0L.png

If you have lots of pages you might run into execution timeouts and need to do that in batches (by appending ",sort=id,id>xxx" to your selector to skip already updated pages. Or you could only select non-updated pages via "yournewfield=" (empty) in your selector.

For others need this solution using css, no need to use admin custom file module, just make custom admin css file inside template folder, add path to that css to admin.php inside template folder.

Original reference :

• Like 1