New install on subdomain: Installation complete, admin panel login fails without error

johnstephens

Hi!

I just created a fresh installation of ProcessWire on a subdomain. After commenting out the following rule in my .htaccess file, I was able to access the admin panel: RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?it=$1 [L,QSA]

But then I hit a dead end. When I attempt to log in, the same login screen reloads without any error display. I attempted to reset the password following the method here, but when I load the page with the password reset code, I get an error saying "Superuser has never logged in", and I still can't log in via the admin panel.

I expect this is a known issue do to some quirk of my hosting that I never noticed before. Can anyone suggest steps I could take to troubleshoot this?

Thank you!

I see the following message in my Apache error log file—I think it's associated with the attempts to load a page with the password reset code:

[Mon Apr 29 11:10:13.761290 2019] [core:error] [pid 12889:tid 4057058112] [host opm.beardedbaby.net] [client 73.134.72.106:51354] AH00124: Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.

Try commenting that line above in again and change Rewrite base to / .

Another thing... reload after login attempt without error... it had this in my Brave browser a few days back. Its settings didn't allow JS, cookies and almost everything else. You could try another browser or less strict privacy settings as well.

Which ProcessWire and PHP version are you using?

Was it a blank intallation or a profile with modules or anything else?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

Try commenting that line above in again and change Rewrite base to / .

That appears to have fixed the issue! I can log in after uncommenting the RewriteRule and the RewriteBase / line. Thank you!

Which ProcessWire and PHP version are you using?

Was it a blank intallation or a profile with modules or anything else?

The installation was the latest stable version as of yesterday, ProcessWire 3.0.123. And the server runs PHP 7.2.17.

I appreciate the help! Is there anything else I should look out for when running ProcessWire on a subdomain with this PHP version? Thank you again!

Glad to hear that.

There are actually no known settings that apply to sub-domain installations. At least I don't know anything about it. The only difference is when you install ProcessWire in a sub-folder. There might be additional steps but even that should work in most situations right out of the box.

There are/were minor bugs in some modules when using PHP 7 but there are either already fixes or updated modules. 

The RewriteBase thing happens sometimes and is more or less related to your hosting. I know hosting solutions where I never had to change anything and then there are some hosting companies where I have to take care of several fixes/changes.