yrglx

config.php dbPass in plain text?

Situtation: website has been running for years without problems. We are implementing changes and setup a "dev" subdomain to be able to compare old and new.

What went wrong: the hoster makes it possible to change the MySQL dbUser password. Which I accidentally did. Now the new password is not the same as the one defined in the config.php file under "$config->dbPass = ..." and the CMS cannot access the DB anymore. Nothing is working anymore!

Assumptions: in config.php under "$config->dbPass = " the string saved is the salted hashed password, i.e. "myFreaking$difficultPassword" would be saved as f.ex. "jfeime7??6$$3!2". Is that right?

What I need to be able to do: how can I generate that salted hashed password from the plain text password I entered on the host's webinterface for the dbUser?

Or: do I just need to set "$config->dbPass" to the plain text password I entered on the hoster's webinterface to change de dbUser Password?

7 minutes ago, yrglx said:

Or: do I just need to set "$config->dbPass" to the plain text password I entered on the hoster's webinterface to change de dbUser Password?

Please give that a try.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cstevensjr said:

Please give that a try.

It worked, thanks!

But isn't that a security issue?

You will need to work that situation out with your hosting provider.  Under normal circumstances, the application configuration file (config.php) is not accessible to the outside world.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.