Suggest a password manager!

OrganizedFellow

I have been using keeper for a while now, both on Android and the Chrome extension.

I got the popup recently that says my trial is over. I rely heavily on the sync-ability between my laptop browser extension and my Android device. I have over 80 passwords. 

I can not find any menu in the app that lets me export the password to another format.

Can someone suggest a free or open-source password manager that has an Android app + Chrome extension? Sync required.

Hi Fellow haven't seen you for a while, good to see you back -

Keepass is the way to go

Scroll down a bit and you will see the whole shebang:

https://keepass.info/download.html

https://keepass.info/plugins.html

Not sure but I believe this is KeePass on chrome:
https://techualization.blogspot.com/2013/12/browsepass-as-chrome-app.html

51 minutes ago, pwired said:

Hi Fellow haven't seen you for a while, good to see you back -

Thanks amigo ? glad to be back.

Years ago, I relied heavily on KeePass but stopped using it when syncing became cumbersome and unreliable between my Windows laptop, Debian desktop and Android devices ? 

11 minutes ago, wbmnfktr said:

Moved away to LastPass

I will give it a go! Seems perfect, high ratings, easy to use.

Now just gotta export all my Keeper passwords.

38 minutes ago, OrganizedFellow said:

Now just gotta export all my Keeper passwords.

At least for 1Password there was a real good guide. LastPass allows CSV imports which make things easier.

35 minutes ago, Sergio said:

What made you change? Long time user of 1Password here and didn't see a good reason to move away.

There is no real reson for you to move away.

I have had license problems and didn't want to pay each month for something I already paid for several times.

A while back they changed their pricing model and switched to montly fees. I have had 3 licenses (first one bought in 2007) in total back then plus the iOS apps and then suddenly it became awkward. I didn't feel comfortable being pushed towards monthly fees to use syncing and everything. They were nice and did some good moves for a while but at the end I moved nonetheless.

I'm not angry with them and still recommend their solution but no... I'm out. Looked for an alternative solution and found it with LastPass.

376403670_2019-03-2619_23_45.png.c50fc8b0c2703801fc12919ae95b869d.png

• Thanks 1

I have tried them all, but 1password is worth every $ per month. Great application with great UX once you have set-up the right urls and 2FA. And great support too.

edit: I see you ask for a free solution. I used Keepass a while, but I felt buggy and sync wasn't really great. So if you do freelancing or have a business a 3$/month would be a no-brainer in my opinion.

• Like 2

Don't forget to consider using a 2nd factor as well as a password manager, particularly consider 2FA for your email accounts (where possible.) 

Authy works great for places where you can't use something more solid like a YubiKey. If you do go down the YubiKey route, get 2 of them and put both of them on your accounts and then keep one of them locked up somewhere as your backup.

Why not just use Chrome's built in password manager that syncs with your Google account? Works flawlessly. I used 1Password for several years and it became a buggy mess, in addition to the whole subscription fiasco vs. desktop app. While Chrome's password manager doesn't have certain categorization features or editing capability after a password is saved, I realized it's really not that necessary.

Just now, Jonathan Lahijani said:

Why not just use Chrome's built in password manager that syncs with your Google account? 

Because I have over 80 passwords across multiple categories ?? 

Some web services I use two different email addresses, so two different passwords.

+ having a Notes section helps.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:32 PM, adrian said:

I am surprised Enpass (https://www.enpass.io/) hasn't come up - does everyone know something I don't about it ?

This has been my manager of choice but sadly no longer. Since I put LineageOs on my Android phone (without the Google Play Store) it is impossible to activicate my registered copy of Enpass. I bet you did not know this ? I moved to Bitwarden as a result.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 8:56 AM, Jonathan Lahijani said:

Why not just use Chrome's built in password manager that syncs with your Google account? Works flawlessly. I used 1Password for several years and it became a buggy mess, in addition to the whole subscription fiasco vs. desktop app. While Chrome's password manager doesn't have certain categorization features or editing capability after a password is saved, I realized it's really not that necessary.

It's not as foolproof as you might think it is.

https://hackernoon.com/why-you-should-never-save-passwords-on-chrome-or-firefox-96b770cfd0d0

• Like 1