Laragon slow?

kongondo

Hi all,

Yes, it's me, the chief whinger and moaner ?.  You are probably aware that my fling with Linux came to an abrupt (and permanent) stop. I've gone back to my first love Windows.  I am using Laragon for my dev needs. For some reason, I am finding it a bit slow....or maybe it's just me? On local dev, Tracy is recording execution time of 1300ms. Visually, page loads seem even slower. Is it just me? I think Laragon used to be faster than this for me? Maybe because I'm coming back from Linux and the page loads seemed to be faster? (that was a docker box). Google and the Laragon forums haven't helped much, mainly telling me to switch to Nginx, others blaming MySQL, etc. Xdebug is not enabled and it is not Tracy slowing things down. Which brings me to my second point. In Laragon I'm stuck with MySQL 5.1. If I switch to 5.7 I get internal server errors. 

Anyone has any ideas (apart from I need to get more sleep, etc...?).

Thanks!

How to speed up laragon

Open php.ini of laragon
Find "realpath_cache_size"
Remove the semi-colon at the beginning of the line and change the value you see there to 32M or 64M

================================================================

Still not happy ? Try these for a change:
http://www.uniformserver.com/
https://www.easyphp.org/
https://www.usbwebserver.net/webserver/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kongondo said:

On local dev, Tracy is recording execution time of 1300ms.

For me Tracy is showing a page load time of 163ms for the Home page on the front-end with the core blank profile. It would of course depend on how much you have going on in your site (template, modules, ready.php, etc) but your load time does sound slow.

1 hour ago, kongondo said:

In Laragon I'm stuck with MySQL 5.1. If I switch to 5.7 I get internal server errors.

I'm running 5.7.19. I believe it's a matter of making sure your Apache and MySQL versions are compatible. Here are mine in case it helps:

2019-03-22_125339.png.74dde2b373df11134a9c0b12fdedbfe1.png

• Like 2

My laragon is... fast. Faster than DreamHost shared hosting, slower than webgo shared hosting but I'm fine.

My realpath_cache_size is somewhere at 128MB but higher than 64MB isn't a benefit at all. At least not on my setup.

My previous setup (Lenovo X1 Carbon, i7, 8GB RAM, SSD) was faster than my current setup (Surface Pro 2018. i5, 8GB RAM, SSD) but after some tweaks (SSD driver update, reducing autostart apps) there is almost no difference anymore. At least while developing.

696293750_2019-03-2202_21_10.png.8a9cce50a471e25a728f36fb0480e44b.png

MySQL is running fine in version 5.7.19 - but it's a version I got from the forums and not from the official download page. Don't know if there is a real difference anymore.

What's your current setup?

P.S.: The need for sleep is only a lack of coffee. ? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robin S said:

It would of course depend on how much you have going on in your site (template, modules, ready.php, etc) but your load time does sound slow.

I'm talking a brand new ProcessWire blank profile install with only one module (not auto load). Nothing in ready. It is slow in both the back- and front-end.

9 hours ago, Robin S said:

I'm running 5.7.19. I believe it's a matter of making sure your Apache and MySQL versions are compatible. Here are mine in case it helps:

I read something about compatibility but I've not found a list. Funny thing is that even Laragon's own quick add mysql 5.7 (version is 5.7.24) doesn't work. The Apache that shipped with Laragon is VC14. Let try that with MySQL 5.7.19.

The other thing that was happening was that I wasn't able to install modules using the Module Class Name interface but that seemed to have resolved itself.

10 hours ago, pwired said:

Find "realpath_cache_size"
Remove the semi-colon at the beginning of the line and change the value you see there to 32M or 64M

Thanks.

8 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

What's your current setup?

I have an Win7 64-bit  i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, SSD machine. The laragon is the latest full one, laragon mint. Changing PHP versions has not improved the issue. I'll get this version (.19) of MySQL since it is working for both you and Robin and report back. If it is still slow then I'll try docker using Devilbox.

Thanks all!

No combination of Apache/MySQL worked other than 2.4.xx and 5.1! I gave up and set up Devilbox instead (a bit of a pain to set up in Windows 7) but it is up and running. The speeds are still not great, coming it at about 800ms but at least better than the 1300 I was getting with Laragon.

For now, I'll just stick to this and later Google if it's possible to speed up Docker a little bit. It could be the DNS.

Just some ideas, thoughts and questions...

• How old is that installation?
  • Is your account an Administrator or user account?
  • Are there background update processes (downloading, clean up) running?
  • Does Windows built its file index right now?
  • How about disk read/write performance in task manager? Is that higher than expected?
  • Where is your Laragon folder located? C:\laragon for example?
  • Is that folder set to "compress" or how it is called to save disk space?
  • Is Windows Defender or any other AntiVirus slowing down file access due to real-time-file-monitoring?
  • Can you disable AV and test performance?
  • Are there IIS/database services running and listening on the same ports?
  • Does it make any difference if you enable/disable laragon autostart?
  • Does it make any difference if you disconnect from the internet?
  • Is there a difference if you run Laragon as Administrator?
  • Are there other host entries or tools like XAMP interfere?
  • Do you use another domain ending than .test?
  • Do you use or are you running a VPN?

I know this is not really helpful but maybe there is something in it than can help you to sort out the issue.

Unrelated to laragon, but after switching to HTTPS, PW is throwing the dreaded 'appears to be forged'!! I cannot log into admin. None of the usual remedies (permissions, session fingerprint, etc) are helping. I'm so tired!!!!!!!!!!!!.

1 hour ago, wbmnfktr said:

Just some ideas, thoughts and questions...

• How old is that installation? Brand new.
  • Is your account an Administrator or user account? Admin.
  • Are there background update processes (downloading, clean up) running? Nope.
  • Does Windows built its file index right now? Not that I am aware of.
  • How about disk read/write performance in task manager? Is that higher than expected? I haven't noticed.
  • Where is your Laragon folder located? C:\laragon for example? Other internal non-SSD drive; But it used to work OK before I moved to linux and back.
  • Is that folder set to "compress" or how it is called to save disk space? Nope. I have enough storage; I don't use compression.
  • Is Windows Defender or any other AntiVirus slowing down file access due to real-time-file-monitoring? I was suspecting this as well, but will confirm.
  • Can you disable AV and test performance? I will and report back.
  • Are there IIS/database services running and listening on the same ports? No.
  • Does it make any difference if you enable/disable laragon autostart? No.
  • Does it make any difference if you disconnect from the internet? I haven't tried but I can't imagine why.
  • Is there a difference if you run Laragon as Administrator? I haven't tried.
  • Are there other host entries or tools like XAMP interfere? I am not using other tools.
  • Do you use another domain ending than .test? Yes. I'll try test.
  • Do you use or are you running a VPN? I don't use VPN.

Success!!! And no, not with Laragon.

Laragon

I tried all tricks and trips, I shut down antivirus prog, etc, nothing. It was still slow for me and MySQL 5.1 only

Devilbox

Once I set up SSL, that was the end of being able to log in. For some reason, the TOKEN set on the login page was always different from the one stored server-side that sessionCSRF compared with. Maybe a PHP thing?

And so, it was back to Google. I almost bought Mamp Pro but decided to check on an old friend, WAMP, now WampServer.

WampServer

Wow! A lot has changed since I last used WAMP! It looks sleek and packs a mean punch. It has lots of settings hidden away neatly in its menus. You can change PHP ini settings (stuff like memory, etc) right from within the menu. One is not restricted to one www folder. Each project can have its own folder anywhere on your system. The mysql/data directory can also point to whatever location you want (I know one can do this in Laragon as well).

Installing ProcessWire was a breeze as usual.

Back- and frontend page load speeds? Using the Blank Profile: 130 - 200ms!!!

I haven't tried SSL yet and I am not in a hurry to do this

Thanks all!

• Like 3

On 3/23/2019 at 3:11 PM, kongondo said:

Devilbox

Once I set up SSL, that was the end of being able to log in. For some reason, the TOKEN set on the login page was always different from the one stored server-side that sessionCSRF compared with. Maybe a PHP thing?

Sorry to hear neither Linux nor Devilbox is working for you.

Regarding Linux, what distro have your tired? I am on Kubuntu and super happy with it. Started using it beginning of this year. Yes sure it is an uphill battle at first but then when you get into it it is just fab. I have been (and still use it as times) a long time Windows user, XP, 7 then 10. Used Macrium Reflect a lot to have clean images and not suffer from Windows rot, restrictive firewall rules and Pana cloud. With this it all works fine to this day. Though lately for web development my workflow shifted from UI tools to command line tools. I started to use Cygwin a lot, well to do stuff that I could natively do on a Linux box. A couple month later when I had to get a new laptop for work I slapped on dual boot onto that, Windows 10 and Kubuntu. Well so far I booted into Windows about 3 or 4 times, the rest of the time I am on Linux. Even have a shared partition for my data so that I can develop from both OS and have the files and folders working. Why am I saying this? I am not trying to convince you are tell you that Windows is bad. Just saying I did switch and just find it very convenient to work with. Also I am sure there is quite a few people here as well as other places on the web that can/will help you if you have something that does not work.

Regarding Devilbox. Docker. Yes. Super nice to use. If you know how to. If.. Upon discovery of Docker I thought "oh great I can have my entire development setup in there, start it up and never think about it again". I was so wrong. Months and months of time invested, time not lost since I learned a lot, but time spent being really quite frustrated. Just like you say. PHP modules. Connecting hosts. Config files missing. Nginx config. And so on and on and on.. I always thought, "yes nice I can learn this and set it up myself". Well for smaller things it did work, but for something like I want to be able to do, i.e. freely switch components while having my work files and configs left intact, well that was a whole different league. Also, I always thought, "nah I don't need something from someone else, I don't need another tool, I can do this myself". Turns out, it was too much for me to get right. Just like you say, error messages during build, those lead to SO questions with no answer, going to GitHub to file an issue only to have that closed the next day with a kind note "go ask in the Docker community or on SO", going in circles, mad times, unhappy times, and most of all times without writing a single line of PHP, HTML, CSS or JS. And that in the end was what got to me the most. Not being able to get on with work but having to fiddle with some damn settings that in order to understand those I would have to read books on.

And so after this, I might call it a bit of a dark time, I gave in and gave Devilbox a shot. And there it was. I read 2 pages of the manual, not more and it is running. Every time I start it up I have all the things and certs created automatically, am on https, everything is super fast and super smooth and now, at times, I keep asking myself, "why have you not tried this first". Some things are left for people who have been doing that for ages and know the score. I do web development and do not setup servers or backend environments, have no clue about PHP modules or whatever else is needed to make neat and nice sites with whatever I am working at the moment. Some things a better left to people that know this stuff in and out.

So given your issues with Devilbox and https, have you seen this? https://devilbox.readthedocs.io/en/latest/support/troubleshooting.html
Or have you tried opening an issue with Cytopia. That person is an animal. I do not see a single issue not answered and even if it might be a tiny bit off Devilbox there is still some help given. Perhpas give that a shot and see how it pans out?

To conclude, I guess all I want to say is "I feel your trouble" as I have been there and me too I was close to giving up and giving in. But then at the very last moment there was ray of light at the end of this dark tunnel, I clinged onto that and today I stand on a lovely glade and can enjoy the scenery.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 10:13 AM, happywire said:

Regarding Linux, what distro have your tired?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I was on Solus. Please see my thread about that here. I still have it running on a not-so-powerful touch device that came with Win 10. For this touch device, I have subsequently looked around for lighter distros and ended up with Kubuntu and Puppy. I'm yet to replace Solus on the device as I've not been able to make the device boot from the USB! This is off topic but a real puzzler. To install Solus, I booted from a USB stick. Now, to replace it, the computer is refusing to boot from USB! Sigh...

I have been (and still use it as times) a long time Windows user, XP, 7 then 10.

I really loved Windows XP. I could go back if they let me :-). I like Windows 7 a lot. Anything above that, meh! I tried Win 10 once and rolled back. I'll hold on as long as I can to Win 7.

Also I am sure there is quite a few people here as well as other places on the web that can/will help you if you have something that does not work.

True, and I have sought help here and elsewhere. What I don't have unfortunately is a lot of time to try out things and hope they work. Sure, Windows has its quirks (duh! :-)), but they are quirks I know how to deal with and have learnt to live with. Solus worked mostly fine (to my delightful surprise) until it didn't.

So given your issues with Devilbox and https, have you seen this? https://devilbox.readthedocs.io/en/latest/support/troubleshooting.html
Or have you tried opening an issue with Cytopia. That person is an animal. I do not see a single issue not answered and even if it might be a tiny bit off Devilbox there is still some help given.

I read all the docs! Some of the best docs I've seen, btw. He/she has done a great job. I'm quite happy with WampServer though, so I don't think I am going back to docker, or anything else for that matter. 

1 hour ago, OrganizedFellow said:

Sadly I doubt DevilBox would work on my machine. Requires Hyper-V

It worked on my Win 7. I don't have Hyper-V. It worked fine with VirtualBox running off (the legacy) Docker Toolbox. You can get it on here on GitHub. I hit the request forged issue and gave up on Dbox. Otherwise, it installed fine. The forged issue arose because the token in the hidden input in the login screen somehow gets a different value to the one server-side. 

On 3/29/2019 at 12:39 PM, kongondo said:

gave up on Dbox

I have abandoned Windows and gone back to Debian.

From beginning to end, it took me about 15 minutes to get the docker container and dependencies running + database import and another 15-20 to get VSCode extensions set up. GOSH i missed my setup.

I doubt I will return to Windoze ? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kongondo said:

:-)....and your 3D printing?

Cura is available for Linux, thank goodness for that.

As for modeling? I suppose this gives me a reason to invest some learning time into Blender ?

I don't like TinkerCad and while OnShape looks promising, I don't like having all my project files made public.

• 6 months later...