Basic hook question...

celfred

Hello,

I am getting nuts trying to understand hooks and I hope someone in the community will be able to help. This is deiving me crazy ! I have tested tens of possibilities to eventually reduce my code to this :

bd('outside');
  $wire->addHookAfter('Page::render', function($event) {
    bd('inside');
  });

And if someone could tell me why my bd('inside'); never triggers... I would be infinitely grateful !

EDIT : Forgot to say : this piece of code is in my _init.php included in my template (but I've also tried in my site/ready.php for no better results...)

Well... I have this in the preceding lines which seems to work ok :

$wire->addHook('LazyCron::everyDay', null, 'checkActivity'); // Check all players activity
  $wire->addHook('LazyCron::everyDay', null, 'randomSpecial'); // Set random special monsters
  $wire->addHook('LazyCron::everyDay', null, 'emptyTmp'); // Empty /tmp subtree every night
  $wire->addHook('LazyCron::everyDay', null, 'cleanTest'); // Init test-team players

Is there a basic hook other that Page::render which I could test with ? (I must admit I'm getting lost in all those hooks, hence my post in the 'Get started' forum ? )

For info, I'm with PW 3.0.62.

Thanks for the help !

Ah... This TracyDebugger is indeed extraordinary ?

There might be a clue here : my Page hooks are in lesser number than yours (no 'if', no 'links').

If I use Page::path, my 'inside' gets triggered, but as soon as I use Page::render, nothing happens ? And why is Page::render not listed our tables (only renderField or renderValue) ?

Capture du 2019-03-13 16-49-00.png

Those numbers are line numbers in the Page.php file. It suggests you are running an older version of PW.

Page::render is a unique hook in that it actually comes from the PageRender.module file.

image.thumb.png.852b518097fb86c98c65bd08eeacbc89.png

Perhaps you could try hooking into PageRender::renderPage and see if that works.

10 minutes ago, celfred said:

Ok. I have the same as you then in PageRender.module, but... hooking into PageRender::renderPage keeps me 'outside' ? 

What page are you viewing to test this? I don't think it should matter, but just curious.

Other than that, I wonder if you can try updating to the latest PW version, just in case.

I'm viewing my homepage on localhost (the page can be seen there), but actually I went on many other pages to test, checked cache and so on... but no change...

2 minutes ago, adrian said:

Other than that, I wonder if you can try updating to the latest PW version, just in case.

I was just thinking about this. But I'm afraid I won't be able to do that right now. I always get scared of such a major update in case I break things ?  I prefer having more time ahead of me to do such an action. I'm not trusting my dev abilities !

So I stay tuned for ideas and I'll keep you updated when I update. But thanks a lot for your help @adrian.

Just a thought: could there be a before hook on Page::render (perhaps from a 3rd party module) that replaces the original function and prevents after hooks from running? You can see all active hooks with trace with that little snippet:

$allHooks = $hooks->getHooks($page, 'render');
bd($allHooks);

Make sure to visit a page on the frontend, otherwise ProcessPageRender won't be invoked and Page::render won't even exist (at least that's the case here when testing on 3.0.96.

• Like 1

Thanks again, but nothing changes...

So you know :

• I disabled FrontEndEdit module
  • I cleaned all my files in the assets/cache/folder
  • I updated on my local site to PW 3.0.123

And my Page::render hook is still ignored. I tried Page::loaded and this one works well (I get my 'inside' message).

This is driving me crazy ? 

Indeed Tracy allows to easily disable modules. I did check them all and... no change...

Regarding a fresh install, that sounds like a huge task to me : reinstall a new database, reinstall the different modules I use, re-import data... and how will I put that back to my remote site if it solves the issue ? I'm speechless ? 

I've just started looking at the 'Export Profile' and trying to follow the instructions on a new local installation. But it fails. I get many errors creating the database (pa.pages does not exist, pa.modules does not exist...) and it freezes. I guess my files are too large... And I'm wondering if that's the proper way to do things I have a feeling doing an export on a new install will export the problem as well, no ? I tend to think I'll have to do all steps I've mentionned in my preceding paragraph one by one (can you confirm this is what I should do ?) but then that would take me a very long time... So I would tell you in a few days (or even weeks ?)

I can't understand how I got into this situation ? Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and as I said, once you'd confirm I have to re-install things 1 by 1, I will get to it at my possible pace ? 

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting setting everything up again - just a clean PW install with no modules, pages, templates etc just to see if it works. I imagine it will, but thought it might be a good sanity check in case there is some weird server setting somehow interfering - although I can't imagine what and you mentioned that you tried on your local dev as well and it still doesn't work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, celfred said:

EDIT : Forgot to say : this piece of code is in my _init.php included in my template (but I've also tried in my site/ready.php for no better results...)

The hook code definitely needs to be in /site/ready.php or /site/init.php. It won't work in your template-prepended _init.php file - the page is already rendering by the time that code executes.

• Like 3

@Robin S : OK ! I'll test during the day. Actually, I think I did test in site/ready.php but I was wondering if bd() would work there and I imagined then that I had no simple way to see if everything worked (see my dev level !). Since I already had a couple of working hooks in templates/_init.php, I used it again here...

So most of my last tests (disabling all modules for example) need to be re-tested in site/ready.php. I'll do this during the day and tell you how this is going.

@adrian Oh ok; Then, I'll do that also from a blank-site profile.

Thanks a lot !

I'd also place a bd('render was called') directly in the core's render function to see if it gets executed. Or a die('render') there, whatever you want. Just to make sure the method is actually called (similar to what BitPoet said).

4 hours ago, celfred said:

I think I did test in site/ready.php but I was wondering if bd() would work there

bd() will work in site/init.php and site/ready.php - your OP code works for me in both of those files. You mentioned you had tested there already, so I didn't think about it, but I think @Robin S might be correct about what the problem is.

Back here with... quite an amount of shame...

I'm sorry I have taken time from you all. Here's the thing : my site/ready.php which I thought did not have access to bd() because I couldn't even see a simple bd('ok'); was not at the right place. A bell just rang in my head a few minutes ago after making a fresh re-install of a blank profile ! I came back to my original local site and thought : "No way, Fred ! site/ready.php NOT your-website-root/ready.php !!!!" I moved ready.php and.... tada ! (Of course...). What a nerd...

So again, SORRY for having taken some of your time, but thanks for your helpful answers. I still have learned quite a lot from our exchange and that is the most important thing.

I'm glad I posted in 'Getting started' ;)

• Like 3