moving a PW site

mistergarth

I'm a generalist web designer/developer who is still unfamiliar with PW, I keep meaning to invest some brain cells in figuring out how this thing works, but other projects keep intervening. I've inherited a PW site. I've moved it to a new host, and it's not working right.

I copied all of the files from the old host to the new. I exported the database, set up a new copy, and changed the user/password in the config file to access the new db.

The home page works OK on the new host. But, all of the inside pages throw up 404 errors.

I get a url like: https://www.guidetodrawing.com/getting-started/guidelines/

I really don't even know how to begin troubleshooting/fixing this. There's no folder called "getting-started", that seems to be a variable that's getting parsed by a script.

Is there something simple I'm missing?

thanks in advance

Garth

Did you copy the .htaccess file? Does your server support mod_rewrite?

It's a good idea when considering moving to new environment to first run the PW installer as this will check to see if the environment is compatible. If all good you can delete the installation and copy over your existing files and DB.

Also see this: https://processwire.com/docs/start/install/troubleshooting/#the-homepage-works-but-nothing-else-does

• Like 2

I've done a blank install of PW in the new environment (a different account on the same server). It's got CPanel and the Softalicious installer, so that much is easy. Yes, the server will run PW. I've been intending to play with the blank install for a few weeks, but...

There's no .htaccess in the file list on my FTP client. I would have thought it just copied with the other files, but it's not there.