Install problems (admin login under OpenBsd)

fmgoodman

I'm brand new here and tried to search but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

Specs: Openbsd 6.4/Apache2.4/Php7.2 (PHP_FPM)/Mariadb10.0

Went through the install and everything went well (eventually), once i fixed any server problems re-did a clean install

Everything is up and happy except...

I can't login to the admin site:

When I click on the admin login link in the footer I get put in my credentials and get:

ProcessWire: ProcessLogin: This request was aborted because it appears to be forged.

I'm guessing this is some kind of permission error but don't know where to look

Openbsd runs Apache in a chroot jail (/var/www) so all files need to be below that directory for apache to have access to them.

These are from phpinfo:

session.save_path /var/www/lib/php/session
session.cookie_path /var/www/lib/cookie

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if there is more info I can provide.

Thanks,
Frank.

Hello Frank, and welcome to the forum.

I'm going to assume that both those session paths are writable. Are other session settings set correctly, eg, referer_check, etc.?

Is your /site/config.php readable?

Is apache running as the correct user?

Other more knowledgeable people will chime in as they get here, so don't fret.

Glad to have you on board.

• Like 2

Thanks Rick,

Yes, the whole site is readable by apache as it's under /var/www.  Apache is running as www.www which matches the permissions.

Apache also has mod_session enabled and I've tried this with chrome and firefox with the same result. Based on the error it seems to be something to do with my session/cookie setup I think but not sure what needs a tweak to get past this.. Can't do much with PW if I can't login as admin.

I've turned on debug in config and got this back trace:

DEBUG MODE BACKTRACE ($config->debug == true):
#0 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldForm.module(154): ProcessWire\SessionCSRF->validate()
#1 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\InputfieldForm->___processInput(Object(ProcessWire\WireInputData))
#2 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(729): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___processInput', Array)
#3 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\InputfieldForm), 'processInput', Array)
#4 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/modules/Process/ProcessLogin/ProcessLogin.module(217): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('processInput', Array)
#5 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\ProcessLogin->___execute()
#6 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(729): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___execute', Array)
#7 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessLogin), 'execute', Array)
#8 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/ProcessController.php(333): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('execute', Array)
#9 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\ProcessController->___execute()
#10 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(729): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___execute', Array)
#11 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessController), 'execute', Array)
#12 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/admin.php(135): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('execute', Array)
#13 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeUikit/controller.php(15): require('/sites/myndtyme...')
#14 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/site/templates/admin.php(15): require('/sites/myndtyme...')
#15 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/TemplateFile.php(287): require('/sites/myndtyme...')
#16 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\TemplateFile->___render()
#17 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(729): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___render', Array)
#18 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\TemplateFile), 'render', Array)
#19 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/modules/PageRender.module(514): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('render', Array)
#20 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\PageRender->___renderPage(Object(ProcessWire\HookEvent))
#21 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(729): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___renderPage', Array)
#22 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\PageRender), 'renderPage', Array)
#23 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(828): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('renderPage', Array)
#24 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Page), 'render', Array)
#25 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(209): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('render', Array)
#26 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\ProcessPageView->___execute(true)
#27 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/WireHooks.php(729): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___execute', Array)
#28 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessPageView), 'execute', Array)
#29 /sites/myndtyme/htdocs/index.php(55): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('execute', Array)
#30 {main}

Hi @fmgoodman

Please post the Apache and the PHP error logs.

Also, what is the ownership of /var/www/lib/php/session|cookie ?

You can also try to troubleshoot by changing the session.save_path and session.cookie_path of your php.ini file from /var/www/lib/php/session|cookie to /tmp

If you can't get it working, I offer you a ninja session on your server ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flydev said:

If you can't get it working, I offer you a ninja session on your serve?

OT: I'm really missing that ninja-emoji from the old invision forum. 

• Haha 1

Flydev,

> Please post the Apache and the PHP error logs.

I deleted the logs and restarted, php log is empty, apache log 

>  Also, what is the ownership of /var/www/lib/php/session|cookie ?

I changed the path to remove the php so it's not /var/www/lib/session|cookie

www.www own these directories (same as apache ownership)

> You can also try to troubleshoot by changing the session.save_path and session.cookie_path of your php.ini file from /var/www/lib/php/session|cookie to /tmp

Tried this to no avail.

I also inspected the cookie in Chrome and it listed the path as /var/www/lib/cookie (which is now correct since I removed the php piece from the config)

There is nothing on disk that I can find though.

1 hour ago, fmgoodman said:

Flydev,

> Please post the Apache and the PHP error logs.

I deleted the logs and restarted, php log is empty, apache log is also empty

>  Also, what is the ownership of /var/www/lib/php/session|cookie ?

I changed the path to remove the php so it's now /var/www/lib/session|cookie

www.www own these directories (same as apache ownership)

> You can also try to troubleshoot by changing the session.save_path and session.cookie_path of your php.ini file from /var/www/lib/php/session|cookie to /tmp

Tried this to no avail.

I also inspected the cookie in Chrome and it listed the path as /var/www/lib/cookie (which is now correct since I removed the php piece from the config)

There is nothing on disk that I can find though.

Edited my typos in quote (see ___).

Not sure where to go from here:

If it helps I have these lines:

mod_session and mod_session_cookie are loaded.

I have the following directives in my vhost files:

Session On
SessionEnv On
SessionCookieName session domain=myndtyme.com

1 hour ago, fmgoodman said:

If it helps I have these lines:

mod_session and mod_session_cookie are loaded.

Just a question, did you tried to unload those modules from apache and to run a new ProcessWire installation with a basic configuration to be sure that you can access the backend and login and will also confirm that the server config is ok ?

If you are sure that your apache/php(fpm) configuration is green then try what @Robin S already said, first try to track down the issue with $config->sessionFingerprint

Edit your /wwwroot/site/config.php, add/modify  the two following config vars by referring to the PHP comments below and come back to use with your results.

/**
 * Use session challenge?
 * Should login sessions have a challenge key? (for extra security, recommended)
 * @var bool
 */
$config->sessionChallenge = true; // try without here (set to false)
/**
 * Use session fingerprint?
 * Should login sessions be tied to IP and user agent?
 * IP fingerprinting may be problematic on dynamic IPs. 
 * Below are the possible values: 
 * 	0 or false: Fingerprint off
 * 	1 or true: Fingerprint on with default/recommended setting (currently 10). 
 * 	2: Fingerprint only the remote IP
 * 	4: Fingerprint only the forwarded/client IP (can be spoofed)
 * 	8: Fingerprint only the useragent
 * 	10: Fingerprint the remote IP and useragent (default)
 * 	12: Fingerprint the forwarded/client IP and useragent
 * 	14: Fingerprint the remote IP, forwarded/client IP and useragent (all). 
 * If using fingerprint in an environment where the user’s 
 * IP address may change during the session, you should
 * fingerprint only the useragent, or disable fingerprinting.
 * If using fingerprint with an AWS load balancer, you should 
 * use one of the options that uses the “client IP” rather than 
 * the “remote IP”, fingerprint only the useragent, or disable 
 * fingerprinting.
 * @var int
 */
$config->sessionFingerprint = 1; // try with different value here

Edit:

@fmgoodman Could you also adjust this directive from

SessionCookieName session domain=myndtyme.com

to

SessionCookieName session path=/;domain=myndtyme.com;

Edited by flydev
directive

I changed the SessionCookieName per your instructions.

I've turned sessionChallenge to false

I've cycled through the fingerprint setting.

None of these have made a difference.

I'll try reinstalling a basic site with mod_session and mod_session_cookie not loaded and see if that makes a difference.

Ok, just reinstalled with the "apache session mods" disabled in the server. Installation went fine. Site comes up. Can't login , same error:

ProcessWire: ProcessLogin: This request was aborted because it appears to be forged.

Something is still wrong with the setup, was there some other meaning to :

1 hour ago, flydev said:

unload those modules from apache and to run a new ProcessWire installation with a basic configuration to be sure that you can access the backend and login and will also confirm that the server config is ok

I'm at a loss, something is not setup right, not sure what.