Slow Google Chrome when developing .local

Often I use the internal domain names ( in hosts file ) with the extension .local. Sites developing with that extension responds as it should in safari (mac). On Google Chrome however, the respond is very slow.

It looks like Google wants to collect as much data posible and before the request is send to apache the data is send to mighty Google.

Changing the extension from .local to .loc (in host file ) solves the lagging for me.

Hopefully this post is helpful for people experience the same issue.

• Like 3
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NooseLadder
      Hi,

I've been out of the game for a number of years (6/7). I have a few projects lined up. I used to use XAMPP on my Windows PC back then. I have a Windows 8.1 laptop atm. Is XAMPP still ok or can you recommend anything better? I used to upload files to server using FileZilla. Thanks.
    • By Peter Knight
      Hi all
      My .htaccess file is correctly redirecting all requests to
      https:// www. That's great until I want to work locally.
      I thought I had seen a blog post by Ryan where there was a new config setting to ignore both of these if working from localhost?
      I can't find it now so wondering if I was imagining 😕

• By FrancisChung
      Long but well written, detailed and informative article written by an Engineering Manager for Google Chrome about the true cost of Javascript and what you can do to alleviate some of that cost.
      Must read!

https://medium.com/@addyosmani/the-cost-of-javascript-in-2018-7d8950fbb5d4
    • By Sergio
      Hello fellow PW devs!
      This is a short story from the server management trenches.
      These past couple of days trying to solve an unexpected problem: after DigitalOcean patched the droplets in NYC3 region last week, my client's droplet became almost useless and went down a couple of times. The droplet has 2GB RAM and was running Ubuntu 16.04 that was updated to kernel 4.4.0-116 after the patch. The server was provisioned using Forge (forge.laravel.com).
      After sshing into it, and running "top" I've noticed the cause: "php-fpm7.1" processes (3-5 instances) were spiking the CPU to 100%. This was very odd, as the CPU usually kept around 33% most of the time.
      The site uses ProCache and markupCache and was getting around 800-1000 visits/day last week. I checked everything on PW's side and nothing seemed out of place, so I went restarting PHP and Nginx but the problem continued.  I checked access logs and no suspicious activity shown up. I upgraded PHP to 7.2 to see if anything will changed but the problem continued.
      My only guess after all that is that the droplet in question got screwed up somehow, because I didn't see any complaints on the web of other people getting the same problem on DO (But I confess that I did a quick Google search only).
      So in the end I decided to create a new droplet, now with 2 CPU cores and kept the 2GB (1 extra core and $5 cheaper ). Reinstalled PW there and pointed the floating IP to this new server.
      The installation went smooth but to one issue: error log started to show messages of MySQL showing "to many files" error when the users were searching. I've never encountered this message before, so after reading some StackOverflow posts, I changed mysql.services config file to remove its file limit (https://stackoverflow.com/a/36807137)
      Everything is normal now, but I think I'll never discover what truly happened. Anyone else had this kind of problem with MySQL before?