Links and shared core Setup

Melvin Suter

Hi there

I've used processwire on 3-4 pages now and I just love it! There's one thing I'm currently trying out but don't get to work:

Professionally I manage web-servers for a web-agency which uses Typo3. (I don't get along with Typo3), but there's one thing I really like.
In Typo3 you can place the current "core" (current version) in a shared place and link the folder & index file to the website you want. I really like this setup, as you can update multiple sites at once. My Problem: I always get a "config or install file missing" error. (Guess it has to be with __DIR__ not beeing at the right place.)

I attached 2 screenshots which show, how I thought the setup could look like.
Has anyone tried something like that? What can I do to get it to work? Is it even possible with processwire?

Thanks & Regards,

Melvin

opt_pwsrc.PNG

vhost.PNG

Hi @Melvin Suter and welcome to the forum,

30 minutes ago, Melvin Suter said:

My Problem: I always get a "config or install file missing" error.

Your setup should definitely be possible. When and where exactly do you get this error? What are you trying to do at this moment? An installation of a fresh copy of PW?

Regarding symlinks... you should check that htaccess and mod_rewrite play nice together.

1. htaccess

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# 1. Don't show directory indexes, but do follow symbolic links 
# 500 NOTE: Some cloud hosting companies don't allow +FollowSymLinks. 
# Uncomment +SymLinksifOwnerMatch and comment +FollowSymLinks if you have 500 errors. 
# If that doesn't resolve the error, then set it back to +FollowSymLinks. 
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Options -Indexes
Options +FollowSymLinks
# Options +SymLinksifOwnerMatch

2. Apache / mod_rewrite conf

In some cases each document root needs individual configuration settings. Especially in vServer/root server environments.

• Like 2

Thanks for your answers!

@wbmnfkt I tried switching those two settings, didn't change anything. I'll look into mod_rewrite.conf if I can find anything in there (But I guess it's not a rewrite error)

@bernhard here's what I've tried:

1. Linked .htaccess, index.php, install.php and wire with 'ln -s' to the document-root
  2. Copied site-blank to the document-root
  3. Opened the domain in a browser (install script starts)
  4. Run through install script and at the last step (setting up admin-user and backend-url) after click on "continue" I get an error:
    404 page not found (no site configuration or install.php available)
    (this is in a processwire-style, screenshot attached)
  5. to try getting thins running I unlinked index.php and copied it to the document-root (Now I was able to save those settings)
  6. after that (with index as a file or a link, doesn't matter) I can access front & backend, but everytime I save something I get this error in plain-text: 404 page not found (no site configuration or install.php available)

Screenshot 2019-02-25 at 18.59.05.png

I wonder if it's to do with the htaccess symlink. I just symlink the wire directory and nothing else.

Maybe your host doesn't support following symlinks in htaccess?

I guess I would start by just doing the wire directory and see if that works.

• Like 1