asmSelect suddenly broken

JoshoB

This is, I expect, going to be nearly impossible to track down, but on one of my websites, the asmSelect has suddenly stopped functioning. It should use jQuery (IIRC) to allow a user to add, delete and reorder pages from a list. But for some reason, on this website (and this one only), the asmSelect doesn't "activate", and it's shown in the backend as a regular multiple select box instead. Another website (a near duplicate of this on as far as structure is concerned) works as usual.

I've upgraded ProcessWire to the latest version, thinking that this would perhaps solve it, but no dice. I haven't changed anything on the website for a while. So this is an utter mystery to me.  Does anyone here have an idea of where to look to figure out what went wrong? Thank you in advance.

Edit: attached images of what it should look like (with green elements) and what it now looks like.

asm_good.png

asm_bad.png

5 minutes ago, Peter Knight said:

Does it make any difference if you change the admin to use the latest UIKit? 

That's weird. UIKit doesn't show up in the list of core modules.

Edit: sorry, had to refresh! Anyway, no, it has no effect.

1 hour ago, JoshoB said:

Does anyone here have an idea of where to look to figure out what went wrong?

I would have placed my bet on JavaScript as well. A couple of things to consider:

1. Check for JavaScript errors and missing JavaScript files
  2. Did the page reference field settings change? (just fishing with this one :-))
  3. TracyDebugger: install and debug with this great tool
  4. Any errors if config->debug is true?
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kongondo said:

I would have placed my bet on JavaScript as well. A couple of things to consider:

1. Check for JavaScript errors and missing JavaScript files 
  2. Did the page reference field settings change? (just fishing with this one :-)) 
  3. TracyDebugger: install and debug with this great tool 
  4. Any errors if config->debug is true?
  1. It must be a JavaScript issue (I expect), but no errors show up.
  2. Nope, not as far as I know. Haven't done anything with the website recently. Just today I noticed the asmSelect doesn't work anymore.
  3. I installed TracyDebugger, set it to development mode, but I don't see the bar anyway. Could it be related to the asmSelect issue?
  4. It is now, but again no messages regarding errors.

1 minute ago, JoshoB said:

I installed TracyDebugger, set it to development mode, but I don't see the bar anyway. Could it be related to the asmSelect issue?

Hmm, that's strange. Does JavaScript work OK in other pages? E.g. CKEditor working fine?

Just now, kongondo said:

Hmm, that's strange. Does JavaScript work OK in other pages? E.g. CKEditor working fine? 

Yep, works exactly as it should.

TracyDebugger is shown in source, but not rendered in the browser at all.

<script src="/admin/page/?_tracy_bar=js&amp;v=2.5.6&amp;XDEBUG_SESSION_STOP=1" data-id="289de0c670">

Weird.

And now I get "Unknown error" when loading the PageTree, so I'm uninstalling Tracy.

5 minutes ago, Autofahrn said:

Blind shot: Could the PHP version had been changed on that site (hard to believe this could cause such an issue, though)?

Also: did you test it with various browsers, preferably without browser extensions being enabled?

10 minutes ago, JoshoB said:

Just switched to UIKit and it makes no difference.

A couple more things:

1. Does asm work on other page fields?
  2. Does asm work on other templates?
  3. Does switching to another inputfield (e.g. autocomplete) work? What about switching back to asm?
  4. Clearing cache?

I'm out of ideas save for having a quick look at it if that's possible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Autofahrn said:

Blind shot: Could the PHP version had been changed on that site (hard to believe this could cause such an issue, though)? 

No, not to my knowledge. I would have received a notification.

I upgraded ProcessWire to the latest version, as I said before, and there were no errors. All other JavaScript in the backend seems to work fine, except for the asmSelect. It's utterly baffling!

9 minutes ago, kongondo said:

A couple more things:

1. Does asm work on other page fields?
  2. Does asm work on other templates? 
  3. Does switching to another inputfield (e.g. autocomplete) work? What about switching back to asm?
  4. Clearing cache? 

I'm out of ideas save for having a quick look at it if that's possible. 

1. No, asm is broken on every field that uses it.
  2. No, templates don't seem to matter: it's the asmSelect field that's broken somehow.
  3. AutoComplete works as expected. Switching back to asmSelect has no effect.
  4. Which cache? Cache module is not activated.
5 minutes ago, Peter Knight said:

I'd say it's a PHP version issue. 

How so?

Other websites on the same server don't have the issue with asmSelect that this website for some reason has.