Text Effects Modules

Steve_Stifler

Hey @Steve_Stifler,

since you are new and asking lots of "is there a module for..." questions in the last days I think you might not have a solid understanding of what PW is and how PW works so far. I mean, asking is perfectly fine, but working with PW means working with HTML/CSS/JS in the first place and not - as you might know it from other systems - installing plugin X and plugin Y and plugin Z.

PW is something more developer orientated. Something that someone might call "Framework" or "Headless CMS". PW makes it easy for you (and your users/clients) to have a solid, secure and flexible place to store various types of content and manage it. It also makes it easy for you to DISPLAY this content on the frontend. BUT - different to many other cms'es - does not dictate how you do that. You could output your data as HTML page (of course), but you could also output it as JSON, PDF, RSS, chart etc...

That's why there are only very few modules that are related to the frontend of your site (the cookie banner module comes to my mind). It's totally up to you how you present your content and what frameworks you choose (CSS/JS).

If you are looking for a system that has (=needs) a plugin for everything, PW might not be the best fit. If you are willing to learn and take the next step from using plugins for everything to writing your own code snippets you'll get lots of help here.

• Like 6

Got it Bernhard...now it's starting to make sense. 

Clearly I have been raised on WP, so that was my understanding of CMSs until now and the catalyst was the need to have more control over the website, mainly in the areas of field manipulation than anything else as what I am building requires some heavy hitting formulas coming from all different directions and this was the platform that I could see provided the most "Freedom" over what can be done with data. I'd imagine that it's blaringly obvious that I'm no IT guy, and to be honest, this is the first forum that I have had a question answered...or not moved or cancelled or whatever, and I have been on MANY, so I find you guys and girls have been very tolerant.

Szabesz, I'm sure there is a clear distinction between module developers supporting their own modules and general module discussions but when a newcomer has a question about  module and there is one section for modules, the odds would be that they would choose that one to post...and so that the newcomer wouldn't post anything else module related that shouldn't go into the module section, it would be prudent to mention to the newcomer "Why" the module related question goes into the "Getting Started" as opposed to the "Module" section...else they just end up being a 4 year olds bowling ball...with the gutter guards down the sides of the alley...or a pinball in one of the newer machines!

Bernhard, thanks for clearing that up, I get it now so off to the tutorials I go.

Thanks guys and girls

JA.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums @Steve_Stifler

I'm sorry for not being clear, I did not mean to "indoctrinate" you, I just did not have time to write a longer post yesterday. Sure, it takes time for newcomers to memorize forum "rules", that's quite ok.

BTW, if you feel like becoming more like a frontend developer, then ProcessWire is probably the best way to go that route. Just check out our tutorials and beginner guides to get a bette picture of how ProcessWire site are built.

6 hours ago, Steve_Stifler said:

requires some heavy hitting formulas coming from all different directions and this was the platform that I could see provided the most "Freedom" over what can be done with data.

You are quite right regarding this. Also, besides "freedom", it is quite easy to get started and there is a relatively easy learning curve ahead too. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the response guys.

I'm not sure if what I want to do with the website is classified as front end or back end. In essence it will become an  "App" so to say. I want it to become my Database that will run my CRM, my Poject Management Tool, Client Reporting tool and Website all in one. I just envisaged creating the fields and relationships, then applying the formulas. The clients would be able to log in and see their financials that would be data that had come straight from the database and the Project Management tool.

I have created it before using Zoho Creator but needed to self host as there are a few high profile individuals whose financials I have records of so security was paramount....I couldnt stand Creator anyway so I am wanting to reporoduce the same system but having to learn a new language again for the data manipulation.

From what all you guys have said, I think I should go back to the tutorials and get a good grasp of this API before I do anything else....my "Band Aid" idea of learning this is not going to work I feel!

Thanks again all....and no need to apologise Szabesz...it's OK mate.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Steve_Stifler said:

I want it to become my Database that will run my CRM, my Poject Management Tool, Client Reporting tool and Website all in one. I just envisaged creating the fields and relationships, then applying the formulas. The clients would be able to log in and see their financials that would be data that had come straight from the database and the Project Management tool.

While ProcessWire is capable of doing this right out of the box, you might find that without additional extra coding, the built in "free" modules will not perfectly fit your particular needs. If you do not want to spend time on learning how to code for the admin, you might want to consider purchasing these two modules from the main developer of PW, namely Ryan:

https://processwire.com/talk/store/category/9-listerpro/
https://processwire.com/talk/store/category/7-profields/

With these two modules you can add easy to use and configure (meaning click-and-play) extra GUI possibilities to the backend which will surely enhance CRM like usage.

Side-note: while these modules can be very useful, you might still need to add some extra code to support your needs, but this forum will be here to help, because it is full of sample code snippets and helpful fellow developers ?

Note that these modules can be used for years without paying for upgrades becuase in the case of ProcessWire the need to keep things updated is mainly because of PHP moving forward, not because of anything else.

So there is no need to pay yearly which is the case in the WordPress world, for example. In the case of Ryan's modules, you are allowed to pay upgrade price any time in the future. You can read more about this here: https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.80/#pro-module-renewals

Also, as ProcessWire is secure, there is no driving force to upgrade the core either.

• Like 1

No i think these are very good examples of kind of application that you are looking for and Bernhard let us take a closer look into his building process and decissions...so many things to learn ?

Welcome to Processwire!

On 2/26/2019 at 6:27 PM, jmartsch said:

Boy, I love our community. So helpful and friendly. Never experienced anything like this. Spread the love.

@jmartsch just like you - this forum its kind a like a save harbour for straightforward and friendly people getting their things done and help each other...

• Like 3